not wiping down your favorite guitar with a microfiber after each use is like...

murdock

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wash my hands before I play EVERY TIME.

I wipe my guitars down every time to try and keep 'em shiny.

Call me OCD or whatever... I'm not into the relic'd look and I hate smudges and grease on otherwise nice shiny chrome parts.

For example....... this just makes me wanna hurl:

DSC00090.JPG

DSC00092.JPG

• Members

Better not tell Mike Campbell that.
;)

He hasn't cleaned his Broadcaster since he got it.

And legend hath it that newly-recruited techs are instructed that cleaning that guitar would constitute grounds for instant dismissal.

I'm not the most guitar-wipey guy in the world, but ... hell, I've eaten BBQ ribs with less grease on them than the fretboard of Mr Campbell's guitar.

• Members

I am maybe a little OCD when it comes to washing my hands, but don't wipe my guitars down after each time I play them! I give them a good cleaning whenever I change the strings though, which is often, because like some have said a like the feel of new strings!

• Members

I do not. My strat had never been wiped down in 10 years of heavy gigging and it was disgusting. i had cleaned the fingerboard semi regularly and changed strings every gig (2 or 3 times a week). It was really gross. I bought some gerlicks and it barely helped. the thing still looks like {censored}. But it's beat up too. Some call it "relic'd".

One thing I definitely don't do is wash my hands before I play. I wash them regularly anyway, and I try to keep them clean (wear gloves to load in). But getting my hands wet softens up the skin. I play sort of aggressively and I need to have my armor on. Softening up the calluses cause me to wear down before the end of the night. It's also bad for my nails I think. Softens them up too.

• Members

One thing I definitely don't do is wash my hands before I play. I wash them regularly anyway, and I try to keep them clean (wear gloves to load in). But getting my hands wet softens up the skin. I play sort of aggressively and I need to have my armor on. Softening up the calluses cause me to wear down before the end of the night. It's also bad for my nails I think. Softens them up too.

Same here ...

• Members

I definitely don't wipe down every time i play, which averages 3 times a week. I change my strings every 2 to 3 weeks and wipe down with damp rag and polish it up. I'm wearing through the nitro at the top, I can see the brown starting to poke through. If you change strings often I don't see a reason to really wipe it.

• Members

I never intentionally wash my hands before I play (unless I happen to have washed them for some other reason) and rarely wipe my guitar down after (unless something spills on it I guess). Man, some of you take this {censored} too seroiusly - it's just a guitar.

• Members

I do not. My strat had never been wiped down in 10 years of heavy gigging and it was disgusting. i had cleaned the fingerboard semi regularly and changed strings every gig (2 or 3 times a week). It was really gross. I bought some gerlicks and it barely helped. the thing still looks like {censored}. But it's beat up too. Some call it "relic'd".

Me too. Unless I just ate some Cheese Doodles or something.

• Members

Why would you not wipe the crud that builds on your strings and neck? This just makes no sense to me. Is there some kind of reverse snobbery about gunky strings and gummy necks that I'm not aware of?

I don't play on cruddy strings and don't seem to have a problem with gummy necks either. i think the crud stays with the strings when i take them off and put new ones on. I only have 1 maple neck guitar, so maybe I just can't see this crud you're talking about. Every once in a while I scrape crud off the FB and oil it up a little. It's a tool. I don't treat them like a piece of furniture.

• Members

I don't wipe my guitars down after playing them I also never change strings for years unless they start breaking...
:freak:

I also do not own any guitars worth 1k...

I hardly ever change my strings either. I have about 7 guitars that I play gigs with and changing the strings as often as some people here do would put me in the poorhouse right quick. I change strings when they get nice and rusty and start to lose intonation. A set will usually last me between 3 and 6 months depending on how often I've played that particular guitar.

• Members

I never intentionally wash my hands before I play (unless I happen to have washed them for some other reason) and rarely wipe my guitar down after (unless something spills on it I guess). Man, some of you take this {censored} too seroiusly - it's just a guitar.

This.

I clean my guitars when I change the strings, oil the fretboard, etc, but that's about the extent that I'm willing to go.

Archived