honeyiscool

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess I have to connect the dots.

I posted the video of a
woman
who is incredibly musically gifted (Russian concert pianist, child prodigy, etc) who is a big fan of Tool and who shows a lot of what's attractive about their music in her playing. This was in contrast to the OP's point about the differences between men and women and their music and that Tool isn't even good music.

Next time I won't assume that other people actually read the thread and can put 2 and 2 together.

No, you don't have to connect the dots, you just have to say what you mean clearly.

And don't start bringing math into this.

• Members

I've always envied gay men... When they go to a gay bar, almost every person is available. Imagine going out and being the only man in a bar full of women. Suddenly you have really good odds.

Depends on the bar . . .

monas.jpg

• Members

As for apologizing for my playing, it's because I notice all kinds of mistakes in my playing. I can turn that feedback mechanism off when I'm playing, so that I can avoid getting frustrated at myself, but when I'm listening to my playing, I'm extremely picky and critical of myself, and then I work on that, but on the other hand, I'm not enough of a perfectionist to prevent myself from sharing what I can do (because that's counterproductive, too). I can assure you that my reason for apologizing has nothing to do with wanting to appear gracious. It's because I know I can and should be able to play better. If not today, I can do it better two years from now.

I'd wanted to reply on this half by speaking to what you're trying to get across, but you come off as so self-important that I can't be bothered.

First impression of you: gay. Soft-spoken, demure, lip ring, those glasses.

You're not? Oh, ok, my bad. Peace?

• Members

I like some of Tool's stuff (Undertow and Aenima are great), but dude, I pretty much agree with you (especially based on their later stuff). And the mass amounts of butthurt coming from their fans just proves that you're right. :lol:

The fact that this discussion got all serious and (somewhat) respectful towards the end is weirding me out though. I'm used to my dear Amp Forum. Live a little, dudes. You're on the right track with pi.

Anyway, the point is...

Tool fans are the worst. :cop:

• Members

Tool fans are the worst.
:cop:

My old roomate was a Tool fan and tried to make everybody like them. He insisted on it but most people were put off by him and consequently, Tool. He really was a tool.

Personally, I have zero interest in their music but its subjective. I just happen to be right.

• Members

My old roomate was a Tool fan and tried to make everybody like them. He insisted on it but most people were put off by him and consequently, Tool. He really was a tool.

Personally, I have zero interest in their music but its subjective. I just happen to be right.

In all seriousness, every significantly big fan of Tool that I've ever met has been exactly like this. I know everybody exhibits bouts of fanboyism at times, but Tool fans are consistently the biggest...well, tools, about it.

YOU JUST DON'T GET IT, MAN!

• Members

But this thread isn't supposed to get all serious! :o

That's the point I was really making. If you get riled up over a thread like this, then you need to get off the interwebz. :cop: I thought it was pretty clear that Honey was just shooting the {censored}. Meow.

• Members

But this thread isn't supposed to get all serious!
:o

That's the point I was really making. If you get riled up over a thread like this, then you need to get off the interwebz.
:cop:
I thought it was pretty clear that Honey was just shooting the {censored}. Meow.

But all the long threads on the forum involve tangents and abuse that have nothing to do with the original subject matter. :)

• Members

But all the long threads on the forum involve tangents and abuse that have nothing to do with the original subject matter.
:)

Yeah, but they shouldn't start resolving at the end. I want more name calling! Brisbane is the worst! Sydney for life! :love:

• Members

Some of my favourite female vocalists/musicians:

[video=youtube;Id-uy--H8tQ]

Possibly my very fave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7CNHrIT6TI

But in general, I think I prefer more male lead singers. As far as other musicians go, I really don't care if they are male or female.

Visually, I definitely prefer girl groups to boy bands (and that would be a fairer way to compare like with like in this thread I reckon). Unfortunately we have been asked to do 2 'Take That' songs at an August gig. Gary Barlow (vomit). I have suggested we follow it with 'Money Money Money'. The appropriately named group that they are...

• Members
But all the long threads on the forum involve tangents and abuse that have nothing to do with the original subject matter.
:)

we over at OMG resemble that remark.
We are forever harking backing to the original LP arrival.
When we are not heaping tangential abuse on the OP for being a Tool fan.

• Members

If you want to talk about Tool on a musical level and point out to me how their music isn't what I say it is (formulaic, predictable, and simple, which I think is against their intentions), then I'm happy to discuss about that. But people rarely even try, do they.

Because it isn't.

Let's take Formulaic.....well...what does that even mean? what formula? It's certainly not pop. Rock? Doesn't sound like most rock bands either. metal? meh....kind of I guess...they are definitely heavy. Right there I've pretty much disproved that they are formulaic.......but for arguments sake let's keep going.....Prog? OK...a little bit....but they are much heavier than most prog bands. So a question then....Prior to TOOL....post some youtubes of bands that sounded like TOOL. Let's see evidence of this "formula" that they cashed in on.

Predictable was number two in your complaint list. Well.....the very song you posted has alternating bars of 5/8 and 7/8 and then alternating bars of 6/8 and 7/8 plus bars of 11/8, 3/8, 3/4 etc....at various points throughout the song. Given that 99% of all rock, metal and pop are 4/4.....I think your "predictable" argument falls apart pretty quick.

Simple? That really doesn't mean much because it essentially is just another way of saying Predictable and Formulaic. It's OK to stop with two adjectives rather than be repetitive.

Now if you were too have said "I think TOOL has BECOME predictable and formulaic"....well then we could have had a more interesting discussion....It is certainly true that TOOL has a sound that they have more or less stuck with over the years.....when you buy a TOOL record most kind of know what they are going to get...my opinion would have been that they manage to create new interesting songs within the framework they are know for...but I could see how some people might find them repetitious.

Unfortunately you didn't say that.

And I do get the thing about TOOL fans....they love their band and do go a bit overboard with what they see as the "genius" of the band. But it's no different then hardcore Radiohead fans, or Stones fans or Beatles fans, or Maiden, fans, or Rush fans, or......you get the idea......basically judging a band because of it's fans is pretty {censored}ing stupid.

Really I think this is probably more about making yourself feel like you're "too cool for TOOL". You don't like the hype they get from their noisy fans and you want to try and "push back" by overcompensating with criticism that has lost touch with reality. Basically you are the "anti TOOL" fan. You're every bit as biased in your own way, as the people who make them out to be more important than they need to be. Neither you nor them can see past your own biases to judge the band on it's own merits.

And that's why your entire thread fails miserably.

Archived