How men and women are different.

honeyiscool

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In an ideal world, people would be neither proud nor ashamed of their sexuality. Or any other trivial difference, for that matter...

I agree that one should not bigoted statements about a person's sexuality, or his Tool fandom ...

• Members

".

All the while I'm diggin
Sober
and
Head Over Heels

I actually have friends who like Tool... but wait, I can't make fun of music I dislike? Geez, what do you all do for fun then? Make fun of people instead?

I don't get annoyed by people who disagree with me. Do you see me snip at people who disagree with me? If so, I don't mean to do that, and you should call me out on it.

I get annoyed at people who find it necessary to use personal attacks to get back at me. There's a big difference. There are so many people that, when I start talking about something, then start psychoanalyzing me, trying to guess at my sexuality, or claiming that I'm trying to convert them to my ways or declare that I'm always right, or whatever. That's annoying. I respect all musicians who make music as their career or as their beloved hobby. However, I don't necessarily agree with what they do, and if I don't, I don't see why it's important to make nice about it, but at the fundamental level, I respect Tool for being a successful band and for doing their thing. If you want to talk about Tool on a musical level and point out to me how their music isn't what I say it is (formulaic, predictable, and simple, which I think is against their intentions), then I'm happy to discuss about that. But people rarely even try, do they.

• Members

op... this is a really stupid thread imo... and if people think so, they're going to say so

the title is "how men and women are different"... which is just a riduclously lame generalisation

you like girly music... and you like girly guitars... we get it... you seem (to me) to want to constantly announce it like it makes you edgy or something... i doubt anyone really cares

• Members

Why do you think I only play music with women?

Because you're a homosexual?

What is the most likely condition under which an all-chick group would take a male member?

I agree, there are other (competitive) alternatives. But I think dat's duh mos' likey.

lol at the edgy comment too. I thought he was interesting until I noticed he apologizes for his playing every time he posts an example. Yes, we get it, gracious and edgy :wave:

• Members

op... this is a really stupid thread imo... and if people think so, they're going to say so

the title is "how men and women are different"... which is just a riduclously lame generalisation

you like girly music... and you like girly guitars... we get it... you seem (to me) to want to constantly announce it like it makes you edgy or something... i doubt anyone really cares

That was really my point. I don't care if he's gay or just really, really feminine or whatever.. But these not-so-subtle threads about it are getting tiresome. I bet he'll make one about show tunes and Judy Garland next.. :rolleyes:

• Members
Or if Adam Jones made more interesting music, perhaps.

I mean, I really don't get what's so complex about any of Tool's music. The rhythms are nowhere near as complicated as their fans make them out to be, and there is seriously a lot of drop D chugging passing for riffage in Tool's music, and the dynamic buildup and arrangements are usually very predictable and consistent from song to song. They do have a very distinctive sound, that's for sure. I can hear any Tool song I haven't heard before and be able to identify it very quickly, but that to me also speaks to me of predictability and formulaic nature of a lot of what they do.

Is Adam Jones even an above average player? I don't know, man.

feel_like_a_sir_meme_comic_poster-r3fd50

• Members

A woman who probably has more musical talent than anyone in this thread playing Tool.

EDIT: and to "Why do you think I only play music with women?" My answer would be maybe because you identify with women more than you identify with men?

• Members

Wow, she plays keys and can arrange. You have figured us all out. Now we must now our head in shame and return to our burrows.

Who said anything about anyone having to hang their head in shame? It was in response to the OP's very poorly thought out comparison. If you took it personal that's on you, not me.

EDIT: and she is a hell of a lot more than just someone who "plays keys and can arrange".

• Members

I actually have friends who like Tool... but wait, I can't make fun of music I dislike? Geez, what do you all do for fun then? Make fun of people instead?..

You weren't "making fun of music", you were making fun of people when you said "the biggest reason to dislike Tool is Tool fans". You're somehow allowing your "dislike" of "Tool fans" to shape your opinion of the band's music.

I don't get annoyed by people who disagree with me. Do you see me snip at people who disagree with me? If so, I don't mean to do that, and you should call me out on it ...

Any time someone disagrees with any of your unsolicited, stream-of consciousness threads you respond with YouTube clips or cite references to support your position. You can say that's not getting annoyed, but that's how it comes off. You go to great lengths to find "experts" who support whichever position you hold. I feel I have to say this because you may think I'm "attacking" you or your posts, or intent: I don't have any issue with your unsolicited, stream-of consciousness threads, I think most of them are interesting and truly reflect your beliefs. I just think you need to be more comfortable stating your opinion and not feel like he have to always be "right"...

• Members
you like girly guitars...

See, I do take exception to that. How many times do I state my love for white Les Pauls, Fender Mustangs, Candy Apple Jaguars, and natural finish semi-hollowbodies? And other than the Hello Kitty Strat, I probably have the least feminine Daisy Rock model you can find, and I don't think any of my other many dozens of guitars I've ever had can remotely be classified feminine. It's not exactly my fault that my threads about Hello Kitty reach five times as many pages as threads about Les Pauls. My favorite and dream guitars have always been offset Fenders and Les Pauls. Anyone who thinks I live and die for girly guitars is not reading what I say.

• Members

Who said anything about anyone having to hang their head in shame? It was in response to the OP's very poorly thought out comparison. If you took it personal that's on you, not me.

EDIT: and she is a hell of a lot more than just someone who "plays keys and can arrange".

You said she had more talent than anyone in this thread playing Tool. I gave a smart ass comment.

The world is full of people than can arrange. I can arrange.

My point is that your post proved nothing and no one could really tell what the hell you meant anyway. If you can not accurately communicate using the written word, well, that's on you.

• Members

It was a legitimate answer to his {censored}tarded question and this ridiculous "hey look at me..... again!" thread.

+100.

I liked it better when you (Honey) contributed novel ways of modding your strats and such. I learned a thing or two.

But if you're trying to be Django 2.0, then you're just taking up bandwidth and a slot on the first page of this forum.

• Members

Fine, I was out of line with that comment about Tool fans, but look at the statement I was responding to. That doesn't justify me saying what I did, but that statement was in context. I was out of line, though.

As for the second thing, you say that responding with clips and references point to signs of my getting annoyed? You would rather that I just snip at people and call them names? What's the acceptable thing to do in your opinion? Not say anything at all? I do a fair bit of that, too, when I feel like responding is not going to be productive. I don't have to always be right, but I dislike the behavior of people who don't even take the time to understand anything I say.

As long as you accept that your response was out of line, I have no problem at all.

As for responding with clips and references I think you should just let your opinions stand on their own. You're never going to convince us that keyboards don't work in rock music or that Fender was totally wrong in some of their vibrato designs. You don't like Tool, so their seven-minutes tracks sound like dirges to you. Someone who likes Tool might think that the song should have been eight minutes long, and may hate "hip, three-minute ditties". That's life ...

• Members

You said she had more talent than anyone in this thread playing Tool. I gave a smart ass comment.

The world is full of people than can arrange. I can arrange.

My point is that your post proved nothing and no one could really tell what the hell you meant anyway. If you can not accurately communicate using the written word, well, that's on you.

I guess I have to connect the dots.

I posted the video of a woman who is incredibly musically gifted (Russian concert pianist, child prodigy, etc) who is a big fan of Tool and who shows a lot of what's attractive about their music in her playing. This was in contrast to the OP's point about the differences between men and women and their music and that Tool isn't even good music.

Next time I won't assume that other people actually read the thread and can put 2 and 2 together.

Archived