How men and women are different.

honeyiscool

• Members

it's nowhere near as simple & cut 'n dry as that OP . They work together in all
aspects of commercial music production. We could easily go all day posting tunes by men that have a softer side than some girl groups . Who cares , however if this is something more personal for you great more "girlpower" to ya, though chances are you won't win any battles trying to force a viewpoint that is so silly as the op .:lol::wave:

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

it's nowhere near as simple & cut 'n dry as that OP . They work together in all

aspects of commercial music production. We could easily go all day posting tunes by men that have a softer side than some girl groups . Who cares , however if this is something more personal for you great more "girlpower" to ya, though chances are you won't win any battles trying to force a viewpoint that is so silly as the op .
:lol::wave:

Good point. We probably could go all day.

I'm still jealous of Honeyiscool getting to play in the band he's in though.

• Members

If I were gay, not only would it not bother me, I would be the first person to tell you about it, so I don't know why anybody would suggest that having an alternative sexual orientation is something that one should not be proud of, but OK.

• Members

If I were gay, not only would it not bother me, I would be the first person to tell you about it, so I don't know why anybody would suggest that having an alternative sexual orientation is something that one should not be proud of, but OK.

Be as proud of it as you want to be, but give it a rest. We get it. No one cares where you don't (wink wink, nudge nudge) stick yer dick, but thread after thread broadcasting the fact that you'd rather be a 13 year old girl gets old.

Oh and my favorite girl band is Belly. Not sure they were all girls, but the major roles were female.

• Members

If I were gay, not only would it not bother me, I would be the first person to tell you about it, .

Dude, if you fart at band practice you'd be the first person to tell us. "Keeping things to himself" is not a trait I identify you with.

• Members

It's pretty obvious to most people with an even half-open mind that both men and women are fully capable of writing/producing/performing both brilliant and horrible music, even when accounting for taste.

I'd be more interested to hear what people's experiences are with actually playing in bands with women as far as the band dynamic goes. I know there are at least a few of you (aenamated? caveman? certainly there are others?) that play regularly with women. I've played sideman to female singer-songwriters before, but that's a much less involved relationship. From what I've witnessed, there always seems to be a much higher level of drama involved when there's a woman in the band. Even if it starts out with her being "one of the guys", it rarely ends that way. That's the real difference IMO. That and the whole penis/vagina thing. Which is kind of my point too. See "Fleetwood Mac".

• Members

Oh and my favorite girl band is Belly. Not sure they were all girls, but the major roles were female.

I guess that's one thing we do have in common. I love Belly, to the point where I try to get people to listen to that weird B-side where Tanya is covering that one song from Jungle Book that nobody my age knows for some odd reason.

• Members

I {censored}ING love both those songs... I can appreciate the pop brilliance of a song like Our Lips are Sealed and the cool odd time signatures in Schism ...

I think many of us are in this group: we love some stuff by Tool and love some stuff by The Go-Go's. Most of us don't have a problem with it, and openly acknowledge our own existence. It's Honey who cannot (or won't) accept it. This is his regular M.O. Then he gets annoyed when folks dare to disagree with him. Usually he'll follow it up with anecdotal evidence to support his assertions; "most people I know don't do thus and so". Then in the next sentence he'll say something like "but I don't have any friends who like Tool", which could just as easily be "well, I don't have any friends who like [pick one: New Age, Outlaw Country, Reggae, Rap-Metal, Light Jazz, Swing, Neo-Soul]".

All the while I'm diggin Sober and Head Over Heels...

• Members

I started a reply to your other thread and then deleted it thinking, "why bother".

In short, although I also enjoy "chick music" (like the Go-Gos, etc. etc.) I really don't think of it in those terms. If you'd grown up through the British invasion as I did, you'd find that the styles you refer to hit more of a nostalgic rather than gender vibe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGJMZgSFsck&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXYNHp19xok&feature=related

• Members

Anatomy of a Tool song:

1. Riffs based on playing a drop D power chord over and over again.

2. (But the time signature is so cool!)

3. Maynard whispering something for the verses and then going one octave higher to build drama.

4. Kicking in the distortion while Maynard holds a high note.

5. Maynard getting angry.

6. Adam doing a really bad guitar solo but he might step on a pedal or two.

7. You realize it's been going on for like 6 minutes.

8. Cool drum part, and the song ends.

You just sound like a hater.

• Members

Never going to understand why someones sexual orientation matters to other people anyways? Really it should only matter to you and the people you choose to be with!

Makes sense to me.

Back on topic, surely the musical difference between men and women cannot be completely summarised in a comparison between two bands out of thousands, spanning all genres? It's a bit pedantic, I know, but I'm saying that the difference can't be pointed out in only a tiny segment of the musical spectrum, surely? Unless you were trying to point out the difference within that segment specifically, in which case I apologise for not reading thoroughly enough. I'm really freakin' tired, man.

Archived