How men and women are different.

honeyiscool

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They're often true, you know.

Especially when it comes to how girls and guys in bands are different. The angriest feminist girl punk I ever hear still is very hook heavy. Not so much the angriest guy punk I hear.

Girls like things that sound palatable, and know marketing is important?

• Members

I just think it's funny that the forumite who is ostensibly against musical stereotypes starts a stereotypical thread. I suspect he's ironically trolling.

I don't know. Part of me is trolling but the other part of me thinks that it's important to recognize that being against stereotypes doesn't start with declaring that men and women are the same because they're not. Most women don't exactly want to be chest bumped like they were dudes. They should be appreciated the same and given the same rights, but clearly women and men act, think, compose, sing, and play differently on the whole. Why deny it? I like the diversity, and I'm glad that there are women in music, because women are more likely to make music the way I like it.

• Members

I don't know. Part of me is trolling but the other part of me thinks that it's important to recognize that being against stereotypes doesn't start with declaring that men and women are the same because they're not. Most women don't exactly want to be chest bumped like they were dudes. They should be appreciated the same and given the same rights, but clearly women and men act, think, compose, sing, and play differently on the whole. Why deny it? I like the diversity, and I'm glad that there are women in music, because women are more likely to make music the way I like it.

Fair enough. I also like some "girly" music, and a female touch can be a good thing in music. It must be said, however, for every Tool-ish band, there's a Sufjan Stevens (not a knock on him - I'm a fan).

• Members

If you think the Go-Gos are better than Tool, then you are out of your {censored}ing mind. Tool's music is much deeper concerning both the lyrics and arrangement than anything the Go-Gos ever dreamed of doing.

If you prefer playing with women because you prefer jangly, vapid songs, well, that's your business and I am all for people being happy. Just don't try to convince me it is somehow superior to something else - especially when your example plumbs the depths of pop suckdom and is about as exciting as catching a crotch fungus.

• Members
If you think the Go-Gos are better than Tool, then you are out of your {censored}ing mind. Tool's music is much deeper concerning both the lyrics and arrangement than anything the Go-Gos ever dreamed of doing.

If you prefer playing with women because you prefer jangly, vapid songs, well, that's your business and I am all for people being happy. Just don't try to convince me it is somehow superior to something else - especially when your example plumbs the depths of pop suckdom and is about as exciting as catching a crotch fungus.

The biggest reason to dislike Tool is Tool fans, that's for sure.

• Members

Or if Adam Jones made more interesting music, perhaps.

I mean, I really don't get what's so complex about any of Tool's music. The rhythms are nowhere near as complicated as their fans make them out to be, and there is seriously a lot of drop D chugging passing for riffage in Tool's music, and the dynamic buildup and arrangements are usually very predictable and consistent from song to song. They do have a very distinctive sound, that's for sure. I can hear any Tool song I haven't heard before and be able to identify it very quickly, but that to me also speaks to me of predictability and formulaic nature of a lot of what they do.

Is Adam Jones even an above average player? I don't know, man.

• Members

I mean, I really don't get what's so complex about any of Tool's music.

ok

there's a lot of bands who's music i don't "get"... i guess i don't have such an inflated opinion of my importance that i need to announce it to everyone, stating my opinion as fact

• Members

ok

there's a lot of bands who's music i don't "get"... i guess i don't have such an inflated opinion of my importance that i need to announce it to everyone, stating my opinion as fact

Announcing an opinion doesn't mean I think of it as fact, and if we didn't give opinions, there would be very little fun here.

• Members

The biggest reason to dislike Tool is Tool fans, that's for sure.

I don't even know any "Tool fans", but I like some of their music. Why do you care what their fans are like? Do you listen to bands to pick up dates?

• Members

I mean, I really don't get what's so complex about any of Tool's music. The rhythms are nowhere near as complicated as their fans make them out to be

Any fans of any music who listen to it because it's 'complex' are doing it completely wrong. I like Tool because the music sounds good to me. Same reason why I don't like the Go-gos. Because I don't like the sound that comes out of my speaker when I play their music.

Archived