You know what sucks? Strats.

honeyiscool

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My tone sucks? Really?

Might as well be strumming a cardboard box.

Fine in some contexts.

That's not the only way I play

I'm one of the few posters here who bothers to back up what they say with audio and video clips, instead of hiding behind words all day.

You first. Play something else. I dont have to prove anything. Im the AUDIENCE. I dont even have to know how to play a guitar to hear a kid with limited skills whining about his guitar.

I get it. You dont like strats. They are not my fav either. See my original response earlier in the thread. They are just a tool, better for some things than others.

So get rid of it. But if you continue to play guitar for another 10 yrs I wager you'll find you need that sound & wish you still had it in your closet and go buy another one.

Chugga Chugga on kid. You will grow up someday.

• Members
i'm saying you've got to adapt your style to each guitar you play. if you've a a strat, a tele, a LP , any say a flying v you couldn't expect to play the same way on each one. they've all got different things about them, like scale lengths and control layouts, not to mention body styles, that you'd have to adapt to so that you can play the same things on every guitar.

I don't have to change my technique because I'm on a Steinway instead of a Bosendorfer, so I'm not going to change my technique that works on my favorite guitars so that I can play on a guitar I like much less.

• Members

Might as well be strumming a cardboard box.

Fine in some contexts.

You first. Play something else. I dont have to prove anything. Im the AUDIENCE. I dont even have to know how to play a guitar to hear a kid with limited skills whining about his guitar.

I get it. You dont like strats. They are not my fav either. See my original response earlier in the thread. They are just a tool, better for some things than others.

So get rid of it. But if you continue to play guitar for another 10 yrs I wager you'll find you need that sound & wish you still had it in your closet and go buy another one.

Chugga Chugga on kid. You will grow up someday.

Amen. Thanks for putting it in words so I didn't have to try.

• Members

pianos =//= guitars. and you left out the technique building part of my post, which was really the whole point of my responses.

if you don't like strats then don't play strats

Yeah I know. That's the only conclusion that makes sense. "You've got to adapt" doesn't really, not unless the guitar is something you absolutely need in your arsenal, but what guitar is truly necessary in that sense?

I've been conditioned to think that Strats are cool as much as anyone and that they're good for everyone and everything. It's hard to break that habit. That's why I've bought more Strats than any other kind of guitar. But it's pretty clear, at least now, that I don't need a Strat to get Stratty sounds. Ultimately I sound on Strat like I sound on Mustang, except some of my techniques become more difficult, so I become less myself. If I saw the need to adapt, I would, but "just so I can play a Strat" is a poor reason to adapt. If I need position 2 and 4, I'd rather play a Nashville Tele.

• Members

i'm saying you've got to adapt your style to each guitar you play. if you've a a strat, a tele, a LP , any say a flying v you couldn't expect to play the same way on each one. they've all got different things about them, like scale lengths and control layouts, not to mention body styles, that you'd have to adapt to so that you can play the same things on every guitar.

technique building skills right there

Just buy guitars that are designed correctly in the first place. No need to adapt.

• Members

I've never said anything about basses. I appreciate that you said it for me.

Well, regardless, I think Strat knobs suck. They look and feel cheap (also they easily get scuffed) and don't work very well for pull out knobs. Jazz Bass knobs just feel a lot more solid for me and work great for all sort of push-pulls since they have a solid grip.

But yeah, I find that funny, too. Half the people who bitch about offset guitars probably have an offset bass.

• Members

Fluted knobs provide superior grip.

Everything about the Jaguar is an improvement over the Strat, to the very last detail.

I have to admit, the ugly look of a Jaguar does get my attention. A Strat looks more attractive to me. Maybe, I'm just used to it. To me, the Jaguar looks like an amputee. Still, I've never been against owning a few ugly guitars that feel and sound functional.

• Members

I have to admit, the ugly look of a Jaguar does get my attention. A Strat looks more attractive to me. Maybe, I'm just used to it. To me, the Jaguar looks like an amputee. Still, I've never been against owning a few ugly guitars that feel and sound functional.

The sleek futurism of the Jaguar might seem startling to those used to mundane instruments.

• Members

Yeah I know. That's the only conclusion that makes sense. "You've got to adapt" doesn't really, not unless the guitar is something you absolutely need in your arsenal, but what guitar is truly necessary in that sense?

I've been conditioned to think that Strats are cool as much as anyone and that they're good for everyone and everything. It's hard to break that habit. That's why I've bought more Strats than any other kind of guitar. But it's pretty clear, at least now, that I don't need a Strat to get Stratty sounds. Ultimately I sound on Strat like I sound on Mustang, except some of my techniques become more difficult, so I become less myself. If I saw the need to adapt, I would, but "just so I can play a Strat" is a poor reason to adapt. If I need position 2 and 4, I'd rather play a Nashville Tele.

Makes sense to me. Reading all of your posts hit me the wrong way, which is too bad because I've watched your videos and enjoy your music. But absolutely, if you can't be happy playing something then try something else. I personally would much rather "adapt" to playing or modify a guitar to work for me than sell it and buy something else, but I guess we have different perspectives on instruments in that way. But if you can get the same sounds out of something else then of course go for it. For me I guess the issue is that it wouldn't be easy to find a similar enough guitar within my price range. Nashville Teles are awesome though - I would love to have one, and I know a friend of mine would rather pick one up than go for a Strat too.

I know it's obvious, but as mentioned earlier in many ways you just can't compare piano or models of piano to guitars, especially electric.

• Members

Fluted knobs provide superior grip.

Everything about the Jaguar is an improvement over the Strat, to the very last detail.

Usually I read your posts for fun, but this is way, way off. Smooth swells are near-impossible with these awful things.

Dare you say "adapt"? ;):cop:

• Members

What's with all the hate for Strats lately? It's the most perfect guitar ever made - Eric Clapton said so himself. In any event, it's the only guitar I loved enough to get a second one - so much tone, so much variety. And I've never run into the volume knob on a Strat. Did on an old Silvertone Silhouette (H15 I think, Bobcat style), but that was before I could play a little.

• Members

What's with all the hate for Strats lately? It's the most perfect guitar ever made - Eric Clapton said so himself. In any event, it's the only guitar I loved enough to get a second one - so much tone, so much variety. And I've never run into the volume knob on a Strat. Did on an old Silvertone Silhouette (H15 I think, Bobcat style), but that was before I could play a little.

who cares what works for Clapton?

Archived