You know what sucks? Strats.

honeyiscool

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dude, video unavailable again.

Why? What do I gain from abandoning my normal way of playing? I don't need to change my strumming hand technique. I see now that most people strum with a slight positive angle (going into the neck) or straight across the strings, I strum in a pretty pronounced negative angle (going away from the neck). I also write with a reverse slant as well. Changing something this big isn't something I need to be doing, especially since I don't really see what I gain in terms of things I can play by reversing my strumming angle, and I would lose my ability to palm mute six strings while strumming chords.

Reason to learn another technique:

I watched your video of you strumming the acoustic and your tone sucks.

OK, maybe it dosnt suck for certain songs, its a technique.

But it is certainly very limiting.

What if the music requires the chords to ring?

Some legato, or sustain.

Face it. You couldn't do it.

Your precious "style" limits you.

If you want to sound like a mediocre player who can only do one thing for the rest of your life, fine.

• Members

Its weird that you posted suggestions for different strat wiring formats that must have taken a lot of time and experimentation but cant figure out a way of moving a pot that is set in a plastic pickguard.:confused:
Also - nice playing in the clip but you can mute just as well with left hand technique and a little practice.

• Members

I ordered some to check out when rounding up parts for the new build. Definitely the exact opposite of the EVH low-friction pots. Now something I'm likely to ever use though.

Nice to know there is something out there you never know when you may need something like that so if I do a build sounds like you may have couple for sale in case I want to put a volume pot by my forearm cause I don't have a issue with hitting it anywhere else

• Members

I agree that the volume knob is a pain in the ass, I also had issues with the middle pup interfering with my picking until I read years ago Blacmore and Yngwie had the same issues and sunk them. But the Strat is a joy to play and arguably the greatest design ever. Once you make it play comfortable for you as already shown in the pics posted you can chug -chug all you want. Now get a few tools and get to work!

BERMUN062.jpg

• Members

Honey i've seen many of your comments and give you much credit your way younger than me have done more musically than me but you must be suffering from a small penis in your criticism of strats. Jimi, Stevie, Jeff all play strats and make great music with them. I used to criticize strats when I was younger I love them now. Build your own guitar then brother.

who cares what "Famous Player X" used? that was great for them. but that doesn't make it right for everybody. just because you gave up and conformed doesn't mean everybody else has to. the electric guitar does not begin and end with the Fender Strat and Gibson Les Paul, and you do not need "Guitar Y" to sound like "Famous Player X" unless you're in a tribute band, because people hear with their eyes.

as for myself, i can play the {censored} out of a strat. i just hate the way they sound. especially the 2 & 4 positions.

• Members

I saw the Police during the '07 - '08 tour. Andy played a red Strat the entire time.

I saw them in 2007. He played his Strat and occasionally his Tele. He never played Be My Girl, though.

Back when he was playing that song a lot, his main guitar was his Tele, though. No one would ever come up with a song like that on a Strat. It comes naturally on a Tele, but not a Strat. You have to contort you hand to play it.

• Members

I saw them in 2007. He played his Strat and occasionally his Tele. He never played Be My Girl, though.

Back when he was playing that song a lot, his main guitar was his Tele, though. No one would ever come up with a song like that on a Strat. It comes naturally on a Tele, but not a Strat. You have to contort you hand to play it.

There's no contorting of the hands when properly playing a Strat. It's all hand positioning. If a guitar player has trouble moving their hand toward the neck or toward the bridge to get different tonal variations, they will miss out on a lot of sounds on any guitar.

In this video, you can watch how Andy does it on a Strat. It's all hand positioning. He's often playing close to the bridge. When he strums certain things, he simply positions his hand closer to the neck. Only a player with extremely limited skills would have any trouble with changing their hand positions....

• Members

I ordered some to check out when rounding up parts for the new build. Definitely the exact opposite of the EVH low-friction pots. Now something I'm likely to ever use though.

i have the bourns EVH low friction pots and they are awesome! great for pinky/weiner swells.

• Members

He's not palm muting the treble springs. That's what's at issue here.

Obviously it can be done on any instrument. But why handicap yourself with a Strat? It's like choosing to walk with two left shoes. It can be done, but why?

Andy's solo is too long, by the way. Sting used to insist on very short solos. It helped to focus Andy.

• Members

If anyone is frustrated or angry at thier strat, please send it to me for corrective training. I will be properly abusive towards it. :cop:
Just let me know you want to get rid of it and I will get you my address :wave:

Archived