You know what sucks? Strats.

honeyiscool

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He's not palm muting the treble springs. That's what's at issue here.

Obviously it can be done on any instrument. But why handicap yourself with a Strat? It's like choosing to walk with two left shoes. It can be done, but why?

You're right. Just because Andy, and many others, have chosen the Strat as their main instruments doesn't mean the rest of us have to play with a handicap.

This has been a wake up call for me. Today, I've seen the error of my ways.

• Members

You're right. Just because Andy, and many others, have chosen the Strat as their main instruments doesn't mean the rest of us have to play with a handicap.

This has been a wake up call for me. Today, I've seen the error of my ways.

He did his best work with a Tele.

• Members

I think you've proved his point. Look at how your pinky is brushing over the volume knob, over and over. Enough of that and you'd get a blister. How irritating. Leo fixed that mistake in his more advanced models.

1964FenderJaguar001.jpg

its' not giving me one ioda of a problem, nor is it moving the knob, nor affecting my ability to play. i'm really playing around the knob anyway.

• Members

I think you've proved his point. Look at how your pinky is brushing over the volume knob, over and over. Enough of that and you'd get a blister. How irritating. Leo fixed that mistake in his more advanced models.

1964FenderJaguar001.jpg

Why does that guitar look like it was pieced together with left over parts? Was Leo sick or addicted to drugs when he designed it?

• Members

Less time trolling, more time playing!!!

I practice plenty. I've improved a lot in the past year I've been posting here. And regardless, I'm one of the few posters here who bothers to back up what they say with audio and video clips, instead of hiding behind words all day.

• Members

its' not giving me one ioda of a problem, nor is it moving the knob, nor affecting my ability to play. i'm really playing around the knob anyway.

Perhaps your pinky is so calloused that you don't notice it anymore. But it's definitely a design flaw.

You shouldn't have to play around anything. It's ergonomically incorrect.

• Members

Why does that guitar look like it was pieced together with left over parts? Was Leo sick or addicted to drugs when he designed it?

It doesn't. You're just so used to looking at inferior guitars that your mind can't wrap itself around the solid body bolt-on neck guitar perfected.

• Members

Perhaps your pinky is so calloused that you don't notice it anymore. But it's definitely a design flaw.

You shouldn't have to play around anything. It's ergonomically incorrect.

doesn't matter, i still made it happen. you've got to adapt.

• Moderators

It doesn't. You're just so used to looking at inferior guitars that your mind can't wrap itself around the solid body bolt-on neck guitar perfected.

Look Uma, you need to get the persepctive right, and in persepctive what we have with guitars essentially is sexual organs.

The Les Paul is a pair of perfectly formed 36D tits, the Strat is a newly depilated vagina, the Tele is a cock, and the Jaguar is a wrinkly scrotum, they all do have their uses and are great fun to play with and together, but we all know which ones look good59.gif

• Moderators

Anyway, here's my complaint about palm muting on a Strat.

This is my usual palm muting technique. Notice, I mute all six strings with the blade of my hand and the pinky comes over the bridge:

photoon20120524at1831.jpg

I don't think this is bad technique. In fact, this allows me to pick any of the six strings with very good control.

On a Strat, this can only be achieved with my pinky smashing against the volume knob:

photoon20120524at18303.jpg

Or with the pinky in between the volume and the first tone knob:

photoon20120524at18302.jpg

Either way is very uncomfortable for me and as soon as I start doing fast down strumming, the volume knob gets hit as I try to do accents and I lift my hand off the bridge and all that.

I have this EXACT same issue with Strats, and it's one of the reasons I don't play one anymore. It's not impossible to palm-mute the treble strings, but it is awkward, as is the transition to and from regular strumming.

I'm not a Strat hater- though they're not really my favorite either- but if you are a player who wants to palm mute all strings simultaneously (or just the treble ones), I would be surprised to hear you didn't find the Standard Strat setup to be a weakness.

• Members

Look Uma, you need to get the persepctive right, and in persepctive what we have with guitars essentially is sexual organs.

The Les Paul is a pair of perfectly formed 36D tits, the Strat is a newly depilated vagina, the Tele is a cock, and the Jaguar is a wrinkly scrotum, they all do have their uses and are great fun to play with and together, but we all know which ones look good
59.gif

i'm not sure how i feel about this post.

• Members

I don't really understand why you say you've got to adapt, when it's easy to go to the store and get another guitar. I have six electric guitars right now, only the one Strat (which is rear routed so I can't even change the knobs) bothers me. Were I to start changing my strumming to fit the Strat, I would probably start having troubles with my Mustang, you know, how people complain about hitting the pickup switches on Mustangs and Jaguars? Well, it doesn't happen with my strumming angle. If I change that, it might start happening.

• Members

I have this EXACT same issue with Strats, and it's one of the reasons I don't play one anymore. It's not impossible to palm-mute the treble strings, but it is awkward, as is the transition to and from regular strumming.

I'm not a Strat hater- though they're not really my favorite either- but if you are a player who wants to palm mute all strings simultaneously (or just the treble ones), I would be surprised to hear you
didn't
find the Standard Strat setup to be a weakness.

Yeah, it's not impossible to do it, but I can't do it with my regular energy, I have to really tone down my right hand when I'm muting treble strings. Crescendos, especially, are problematic, since as I start strumming harder, I forget I have to tone down my motion.

And I'm honestly not a Strat hater either, I've bought 5+ SSS Strats in my life because I always think this time, I can like them, and because they're cheap and available. After I sell my Aerodyne, I probably won't even bother anymore. Sure I can make a totally custom Strat, but then, I'd rather have something I prefer, like a Tele or a Mustang or a Jaguar.

• Members

The Les Paul is a pair of perfectly formed 36D tits, the Strat is a newly depilated vagina, the Tele is a cock, and the Jaguar is a wrinkly scrotum, they all do have their uses and are great fun to play with and together, but we all know which ones look good
59.gif

Paging Dr. Freud.

• Members

I don't really understand why you say you've got to adapt, when it's easy to go to the store and get another guitar.

i'm saying you've got to adapt your style to each guitar you play. if you've a a strat, a tele, a LP , any say a flying v you couldn't expect to play the same way on each one. they've all got different things about them, like scale lengths and control layouts, not to mention body styles, that you'd have to adapt to so that you can play the same things on every guitar.

technique building skills right there

Archived