You know what sucks? Strats.

honeyiscool

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool

View Post

You can operator error me all you want but I've seen all kinds of great guitarists hit the 5 way by accident. Phil X does it like every third video.

but that's not what your complaint was. and for that complaint it most certainly is operator error.

as for this new complaint....maybe phil x has {censored}ty technique on a strat too?

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by sleewell

View Post

my lord, how on earth are you hitting the volume knob when doing the chugga chuggas on a strat??? you got it strung upside down or something? for me, when i palm mute and chugga i am only going for the first 2 maybe 3 strings, and not the type of hand/arm motion that would take me all the way down to hit the volume knob.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think alot of issues players have can be fixed with a better technique.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by soundcreation

View Post

but that's not what your complaint was. and for that complaint it most certainly is operator error.

as for this new complaint....maybe phil x has {censored}ty technique on a strat too?

People hating on Phil X make me sad.

• Members

I don't see how you could turn the volume pot of a strat accidentally with your picking hand while strumming confused.gif

I used to hit/flick the 5way occasionally when I was new to strats, but only when the switch was all the way up in the neck position. I took the switch tip off for the first few weeks to make it a smaller target until I trained myself to avoid it. Hasn't been a problem since.

Mustangs OTOH, I would hit the p/u selector switches with the pick constantly, and usually drop the pick every time rolleyes.gifcry.gif

If you're playing a strat sitting down I could see having issues with crowded hands around the pickguard, try standing up more.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by soundcreation

View Post

I have plenty of complaints about Strats.

Honestly, though, for a thread that clearly stated it was a troll thread, you all sure bite hard.

• Members

Anyway, here's my complaint about palm muting on a Strat.

This is my usual palm muting technique. Notice, I mute all six strings with the blade of my hand and the pinky comes over the bridge:

photoon20120524at1831.jpg

I don't think this is bad technique. In fact, this allows me to pick any of the six strings with very good control.

On a Strat, this can only be achieved with my pinky smashing against the volume knob:

photoon20120524at18303.jpg

Or with the pinky in between the volume and the first tone knob:

photoon20120524at18302.jpg

Either way is very uncomfortable for me and as soon as I start doing fast down strumming, the volume knob gets hit as I try to do accents and I lift my hand off the bridge and all that.

• Members

View Post

This is my usual palm muting technique. Notice, I mute all six strings with the blade of my hand and the pinky comes over the bridge:

photoon20120524at1831.jpg

I don't think this is bad technique. In fact, this allows me to pick any of the six strings with very good control.

On a Strat, this can only be achieved with my pinky smashing against the volume knob:

Or with the pinky in between the volume and the first tone knob:

Either way is very uncomfortable for me and as soon as I start doing fast down strumming, the volume knob gets hit as I try to do accents and I lift my hand off the bridge and all that.

Simple solution is to close your hand and not have all your fingers flailing about. Guess that's why it's never been an issue for me.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by J-E-M

View Post

DSC00403.jpg

Terrapin Guitars and Warmoth will both make custom pickguards in case anyone is wondering where you can find them. You can configure it...one knob, two knobs, two pickups, three pups...whatever you prefer,

There are a plenty of people who've complained about the volume knob as well as the middle pickup and other features. But, if the design was so terribly flawed, they wouldn't be the most popular type of guitar shape to copy, from traditional to Super Strat.

Not every guitar is for every person. Not everyone is going to like the Strat. Some people are special. Special people need special guitars, just like those same people needed special education in school.

• Members

View Post

Sounds like a legitimate complaint.

Whatever it is about my playing style I don't run into that, though I used to hit the volume knob by accident plenty.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jrockbridge

View Post

Not every guitar is for every person. Not everyone is going to like the Strat. Some people are special. Special people need special guitars, just like those same people needed special education in school.

biggrin.gif

my.png

Ize droolz from mouth.

• Members

View Post

photoon20120524at18302.jpg

This clearly shows your lack of technique. I appreciate that is how you play but why on earth would you have your picking hand so open? If anything it slows you down and yes, makes you hit the controls.

Archived