You know what sucks? Strats.

honeyiscool

• Members

Basically, I made this thread because people were trashing offsets in another thread. And most of them are made by people who've never even owned a Jag or a Jazz or a Mustang. If you haven't figured it out by now, offsets are my favorite, so I figured it's someone else's turn to be butthurt, and I guess many were.

I have a healthy amount of respect for the Strat, and I've bought many in my life.

However, I also have a lot of legitimate problems with the Strat, a few of which I've addressed in this thread. Sure, they're "fixed" with a custom pickguard, but getting a custom guard that fits without making extra holes and has everything exactly where you want it isn't always the cheapest thing to do, especially if you don't have a standard Fender. Besides, the problems are never totally fixed for me. I have as much of a problem with the 5-way as I do with the volume knob, and that really has nowhere else to go unless I use the lower right bout, but there's no routing there. Were I to make it into an HH, then, I'd want a toggle, but then I have the three control knob/pots in a row problem again. I just don't find enough space to get the controls I really like the way I really like. Offset and Tele bodies give more space for different controls because they have more guitar behind the bridge.

My favorite thing about Strats, though, is that there are some awesome vibrato bridges made for it. I don't like Fender Strat bridges at all, but I love some of the other options, such as Wilkinson, Callaham, etc.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I feel your pain. I mount my switches between the tone knobs, I have two, never hit one by accident and it looks good. I also fit two new circuits in there and a cap the size of a c battery. Honey I love ya man, but you are the guy buying a 200$ proprietary mic, 19$ is a lot for a guard? My pawnshop has whole beaters strata for like 40$.

• Members

It's not $19 for a guard, really. If I want, say, two slanted singles, two control knobs in between where the three currently are, and maybe a toggle, that kind of thing really isn't available for $19. When I buy a Strat, it's usually a cheaper one precisely because that's one of the best reasons to buy one anyway, that they're cheap and plentiful. The Aerodyne Strat is the most I've paid for one, and I just sold mine actually. Anyway, Squier and Fender Mexican Strats don't always have pickguard mounting screws where you want them, so you end up possibly drilling your body for more, which is kind of distasteful. So to get a proper guard for a cheap guitar, it's like $60 from places like Pickguardian which will trace out your existing guard and do the work you want on them. Now you're talking about a lot of money, not because $60 is a lot of money, but because the reason why I got a Strat was probably because it was the best guitar I could get for the money. But if I have to spend $60 to make it more like a Mustang, I could just save up for another Mustang, or a nice Epiphone, then I have a guitar whose playability I love out of the box.

Stuff like that.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool

View Post

It's not $19 for a guard, really. If I want, say, two slanted singles, two control knobs in between where the three currently are, and maybe a toggle, that kind of thing really isn't available for $19. When I buy a Strat, it's usually a cheaper one precisely because that's one of the best reasons to buy one anyway, that they're cheap and plentiful. The Aerodyne Strat is the most I've paid for one, and I just sold mine actually. Anyway, Squier and Fender Mexican Strats don't always have pickguard mounting screws where you want them, so you end up possibly drilling your body for more, which is kind of distasteful. So to get a proper guard for a cheap guitar, it's like $60 from places like Pickguardian which will trace out your existing guard and do the work you want on them. Now you're talking about a lot of money, not because $60 is a lot of money, but because the reason why I got a Strat was probably because it was the best guitar I could get for the money. But if I have to spend $60 to make it more like a Mustang, I could just save up for another Mustang, or a nice Epiphone, then I have a guitar whose playability I love out of the box.

Stuff like that.

I must have access to better music stores or something, or am less picky about my pickguards, I would never drill my body, but I'll happily cut a piece of plastic. People give me pickguards and crap, hell a whole set of bill l's the other day and an ampeg pa. Whatever. However I have an infinite budget to spend on a guitar right now, the only rule is I have to be able to sell it for the same as I spent in a few years. A really nice vintage strat is up on the list, unless you have some good recommendations. I like strats. nothing else has held my attention, and i learned on a 60 something jag and a couple of 60's rics that were sort of in the family followed by a couple 92/93 PRS's. You see what i own below.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!

View Post

disqualified. 3 pickup failboat.

There are no knobs, switches or body wood to get in the way. But, you probably won't be satisfied until it's modified to look like an accordion. There's just no pleasing some people.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jrockbridge

View Post

There are no knobs, switches or body wood to get in the way. But, you probably won't be satisfied until it's modified to look like an accordion. There's just no pleasing some people.

i don't play guitars with 3 pickups. i have no problem with where the controls are on a standard stratocaster.

• Members

I really don't have a problem with any of the issues brought up. Perhaps a quick video may shed some light on the reason why? Would go into technique, but I honestly don't think. I just do. And it works.

Shot with some {censored}ty webcam from Hong Kong, used a Squier Affinity with pickups that aren't {censored}ty and a Line 6 POD.

And yes. All the controls are in the normal place. I hit none.

DSC00159.jpg

Snapshot52.jpg

Snapshot53.jpg

So what am I doing that negates the need to whine about Strats? And yeah. I suck. Try playing when your hands hurt like {censored}.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool View Post
Your hand is not actually muting the treble strings in the picture. At the bridge, that is.
I tend to move my hand around depending on where it's needed. I see what you're getting at, though. I still have no problems with the controls, but perhaps it's because I have small hands.

Having re-read, I didn't mean to rage. Bad day. Apologies.

• Members
'/Troll Thread' was clearly spelled out in the OP. That and the thread title should have told you everything you needed to know about where this thread was going.

If you believe this thread is pointless, then posting in it is contributing to the problem. The solution is to ignore threads that you consider a waste of your time. If you truly believe there's no point to the thread, than posting in it makes you look hypocritical.

IMO, this thread is an obvious, silly troll-thread which serves to blow off some steam. It's essentially a rerun, so not one of the more creative efforts.

This forum is unique in allowing a certain amount of foolishness that other guitar forums won't tolerate. The extra freedom brings extra anarchy.

The dominant themes at HCEG are trolling and shopping. Bitching and whining about trolling and shopping are of secondary importance. Anything that actually relates to practicing or playing the guitar doesn't hold a lot of interest here. It's been this way for the more than 5 years I've been around. If that's something that gets under your skin, maybe it isn't the best enironment for you.

I'm sure you haven't noticed, but I don't regularly post on this forum- haven't for many years...and no, it wasn't always the same as it is these days. Not exactly a noob to these forums, but thanks anyway for explaining to me how things work around here :freak:

• Members

I'm sure you haven't noticed, but I don't regularly post on this forum- haven't for many years...and no, it wasn't always the same as it is these days. Not exactly a noob to these forums, but thanks anyway for explaining to me how things work around here
:freak:

I'm sure you haven't noticed but many of the comments I make in threads like these are tongue-in-cheek. Believe it or not, there are good threads around here, mixed among the garbage. If you think it's bad in here, try going to the amp section.

I can't take a thread like this seriously. So, I don't understand why people miss that it's mostly parody. :idk:

• Members

So what am I doing that negates the need to whine about Strats? And yeah. I suck. Try playing when your hands hurt like {censored}.

You don't suck dude- I would never have known you had pain in your hands from your apparent dexterity. Nicely done:thu:

• Members
A stock Strat is a flawed instrument - weak sounding bridge pickup, pick catching mid pickup, crappy trem, stupid control layout, co-dependent tone controls (and none for the bridge), and the lever switch looks cheap and toylike. That's why people mod them; that's why Teles are superior.

DSC00403.jpg

while I've never had a problem with the volume at it's current location , I'm going to do this to my strat as I don't like the middle p/u , and the postion where yours is located seems even better after I just spent some time playing mine . I just ordered a new Warmoth pg m/

• Members

I'm sure you haven't noticed, but I don't regularly post on this forum- haven't for many years...and no, it wasn't always the same as it is these days. Not exactly a noob to these forums, but thanks anyway for explaining to me how things work around here
:freak:

You must be talking about the time back when we had mods in this forum that actually enforced the rules. Sadly those days are long gone and this place is pretty much turning into exactly what it was created not to be...

Archived