You know what sucks? Strats.

honeyiscool

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Django Sentenza

View Post

Nay, but you could surely sell your Strat to a non-serious musician and purchase a professional instrument.

The thing about the statements made by your persona - amusing though they may be - is that they have to make sufficient sense in the world in which your audience live that they are in some sense applicable - even if perceived as outrageous. A lot of humour requires internal consistency but provocative humour has also to be consistent in the terms that the provoked cleave to.

So I'd say you've transgressed that here, satirewise, because your audience won't accept the idea that no serious musicians play Strats - and they have references for that belief. Which means either that they'll feel able to dismiss your assertion, which would kill the line of comedic exploration. Or you'll have to up the ante, as it were, and turn your attention to the notion of what constitutes a serious musician, where you're on shakier comedic ground.

This isn't to say that the post is unsalvageable. It just needs a little work.

Can I suggest we introduce a system where you run your posts past me before going public with them, in order to avoid the shame and embarrassment of me having to correct you in front of the guys?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable

View Post

The thing about the statements made by your persona - amusing though they may be - is that they have to make sufficient sense in the world in which your audience live that they are in some sense applicable - even if perceived as outrageous. A lot of humour requires internal consistency but provocative humour has also to be consistent in the terms that the provoked cleave to.

So I'd say you've transgressed that here, satirewise, because your audience won't accept the idea that no serious musicians play Strats - and they have references for that belief. Which means either that they'll feel able to dismiss your assertion, which would kill the line of comedic exploration. Or you'll have to up the ante, as it were, and turn your attention to the notion of what constitutes a serious musician, where you're on shakier comedic ground.

Can I suggest we introduce a system where you run your posts past me before going public with them, in order to avoid the shame and embarrassment of me having to correct you in front of the guys?

hahahahaha, goddamn

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable

View Post

He needs not run his posts past you or anybody else. You got trolled, sir. Good job trying to come over all intelligent and stuff.

• Members

The thing about the statements made by your persona - amusing though they may be - is that they have to make sufficient sense in the world in which your audience live that they are in some sense applicable - even if perceived as outrageous. A lot of humour requires internal consistency but
provocative
humour has also to be consistent in the terms that the provoked cleave to.

Perhaps you'd care to post ten musicians (who you consider to be "serious") who primarily play Strats, and we can evaluate them together. :)

• Members

Perhaps you'd care to post ten musicians (who you consider to be "serious") who primarily play Strats, and we can evaluate them together.
:)

Ah - so you're taking the second option, to wit:

you'll have to up the ante, as it were, and turn your attention to the notion of what constitutes a serious musician, where you're on shakier comedic ground.

This is exactly the kind of enterprising, fearless, never-say-die, can-do, gung-ho spirit that I like to see in a young comic starting out in the world! Well done! Here's a dollar! Carry on!

• Members
Ah - so you're taking the second option, to wit:

you'll have to up the ante, as it were, and turn your attention to the notion of what constitutes a serious musician, where you're on shakier comedic ground.

This is exactly the kind of enterprising, fearless, never-say-die, can-do, gung-ho spirit that I like to see in a young comic starting out in the world! Well done! Here's a dollar! Carry on!

Where's your list? :confused:

• Members

Randy Bachman: one hit wonder, not a serious guitarist

Jeff Beck: post-yardbirds, plays nothing but tepid dad rock and elevator muzak

Adrian Belew: not a guitarist

Ritchie Blackmore: metal is a genre for pimply faced teens. Always was, always will be

Tommy Bolin: complete nobody

Brad Paisley: corporate 80s radio rock masquerading as country

Bill Carson: on of the few serious guitarists on this list

Eric Clapton: consummate dad rocker with the worst tone in the biz

Ry Cooder: snooze-core nobody

Dick Dale: Obviously the greatest guitarist on this list

The Edge: plays echo pedals, not guitar

John Frusciante: Did his best work on a Jaguar

Rory Gallagher: snoozecore

David Gilmour: Rumpelstiltskin snoozecore. The dullest guitarist ever to go multi-platinum

Buddy Guy: blooze player. Automatic disqualification.

Archived