I'm On Billy Joe's Side. How About You?

Cobalt Blue

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by aenemated View Post
album sales do not necessarily equate to actual quality of said album.

i'd wager just one of those turds sold more than everything townes van zandt ever released.
He mentioned that Green Day hasn't had a good album since Nimrod. He then said that Usher has been putting out platinum selling albums for years, trying to imply that Usher was attaining something that Green Day could not. I was just pointing out that Green Day hit platinum for their 2 latest albums, too.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hilarious that green day is still trying to sell themselves as a punk band. pretty sure "punk" would have something to say about handsome millionaire 40 years olds posing on stage, but hey to each his own.

also, they suck and are sharing the stage with taylor swift and usher...sooo punk.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bubkus_jones View Post
He mentioned that Green Day hasn't had a good album since Nimrod. He then said that Usher has been putting out platinum selling albums for years, trying to imply that Usher was attaining something that Green Day could not. I was just pointing out that Green Day hit platinum for their 2 latest albums, too.
fair enough.

fwiw, both green day and usher attain the same level of "suck."

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Red81 View Post
hilarious that green day is still trying to sell themselves as a punk band.
right?

i'm not even a HUGE fan - i do like several of their records - but the MOST punk band left is NOFX. they've never compromised on anything at any point.

i'd include my beloved social d and bad religion but they both had their moments on major labels. didn't seem to hurt social d much but bad religion got REALLY bad after mr. brett split following "stranger than fiction." but they did make quite a roaring comeback when he started contributing again. and they scored a {censored}ing goldmine getting brooks wackerman behind the kit.

true story - i was THIS close to getting an audition to drum for social d when charlie quintana split through mutual friends (two buddies of mine are in mike's solo band). but between the time i saw he was gone and i hit them both up; the spot was already filled - literally a matter of a few hours. and i was all frown.gif

christ, i know mike's songs so well i wouldn't even need a rehearsal to hit the road.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by TattooedCarrot View Post
I doubt being out the guitar is a big deal. Cheaper than paying for promotion. And you really think all this bad press hurts a band like that? If anything, its put them in public view for the first time in a long time. Like I said, they just got put on the front page for the cost of a Les Paul Special - that's cheap advertising if you ask me.
True, the guitar was inconsequential but that still doesn't count as a "plus".

If you subscribe to the Oscar Wilde school of "the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about", then I guess this is good for them. However, there is a difference between good press and bad press- just ask Lindsay Lohan. Who, as it happens, is about as punk rock as Green Day.

• Members

Green Day is a pop band and Billie Joe is no different than Justin Bieber. They were ok in the begining then Billie got up his own ass and starting thinking they were better than they are.

Also they issued an apology to iheartradio...oooohh how punk! LOL

• Members

Wow. Obviously few of you remember what was out in the early 90's. Grunge. Punk is fastirreverent, simple anger music. Just cause Green Day have evolved and aged, their roots are punk. By these standards Iggy Pop is not punk anymore either. It seems like about 1/3 of the people on here need to put everyone in a box and tear down the successful. Dookie was brilliant. American Idiot was brilliant. Again I ask, one of you...link me to ONE song you did that is brilliant. I don"t have one. Bet you don't either. When you get in to over analysis of this, you miss the point. Green Day is great band. You wanna talk punk cred? GG Allin. Go. Billy being a Diva? no. He's having a effing meltdown because live music has beome a scripted reality show. Same {censored} in the other thread, so many people ripping Journey and Bon Jovi. Don't dig the tunes? Cool. Don't listen to em.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by deanmass

View Post

Wow. Obviously few of you remember what was out in the early 90's. Grunge. Punk is fastirreverent, simple anger music. Just cause Green Day have evolved and aged, their roots are punk. By these standards Iggy Pop is not punk anymore either. It seems like about 1/3 of the people on here need to put everyone in a box and tear down the successful. Dookie was brilliant. American Idiot was brilliant. Again I ask, one of you...link me to ONE song you did that is brilliant. I don"t have one. Bet you don't either. When you get in to over analysis of this, you miss the point. Green Day is great band. You wanna talk punk cred? GG Allin. Go. Billy being a Diva? no. He's having a effing meltdown because live music has beome a scripted reality show. Same {censored} in the other thread, so many people ripping Journey and Bon Jovi. Don't dig the tunes? Cool. Don't listen to em.

LMAO! Brilliant? Green Day? A fair pop band few good songs, but don't you think brilliant is pushing it?

• Moderators

If the guy is now in rehab, he was ill when he did what he did.

I can't stand the music or image that Green Day or BJ portray and yes Celine Dion is more punk than he is.

Let's see how he gets on in rehab, it can often turn a wanker boy into a relatively mature grown up.

Everybody deserves a chance, it's now up to him whether he takes it

Archived