I'm On Billy Joe's Side. How About You?

Cobalt Blue

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrown49

View Post

I'm sure 99% of us would jump at the chance to play a "{censored}ty POP fest", myself included.

I didn't say anything to the contrary. I'd play it too if given the chance. I'd also realize that I'm playing some corporate {censored}fest where most of the performers are more interested in dancing and lip synching .

Quote Originally Posted by kayd_mon

View Post

Certainly. I never understood the hate for punk bands once they become successful. It's as if they make more money than the average street-sign-holder, they get called posers, but if someone from a different genre does well, everyone's cool with it.

Green Day isn't a punk band.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anyone seen the Nov. GW? It has Billie on the cover, and the tagline: "Has Billie Joe Armstrong gone BONKERS?" icon_lol.gif How prophetic! I still like 'em, though it was a douchey move. They're kind of a pop punk zz top, they keep putting out decent albums (imho), and aren't doing commercials for pepsi or anything.... -Adam

• Members

Anyone seen the Nov. GW? It has Billie on the cover, and the tagline: "Has Billie Joe Armstrong gone BONKERS?" icon_lol.gif How prophetic! I still like 'em, though it was a douchey move. They're kind of a pop punk zz top, they keep putting out decent albums (imho), and aren't doing commercials for pepsi or anything.... -Adam

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JoJo68

View Post

I didn't say anything to the contrary. I'd play it too if given the chance. I'd also realize that I'm playing some corporate {censored}fest where most of the performers are more interested in dancing and lip synching .

Now I follow. Same here.

Fame and ego definitely seem to dampen one's sense of reality. icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

Now I follow. Same here.

Fame and ego definitely seem to dampen one's sense of reality. icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

They started out as a punk band on Lookout records, a primarily punk-rock label, and their sound was unchanged for the first ten years of their career, even after leaving Lookout. Their current sound is barely a departure from the original, since they're still hammering out the same three-chord patterns to roughly the same rhythm. You're free to dislike their image, politics, or whatever else they've morphed into while under the spotlight, but they were punk in 1988, they were punk in 1994, and since their music hasn't really changed, they're still punk in 2012.

Punk is a sub-genre of rock, and Green Day's music falls squarely into that sub-genre. The promoters of whoever just so happened to want a punk band at a pop festival, which is fine, because really, rock is just a sub-genre of pop[ular] music.

• Members

View Post

They started out as a punk band on Lookout records, a primarily punk-rock label, and their sound was unchanged for the first ten years of their career, even after leaving Lookout. Their current sound is barely a departure from the original, since they're still hammering out the same three-chord patterns to roughly the same rhythm. You're free to dislike their image, politics, or whatever else they've morphed into while under the spotlight, but they were punk in 1988, they were punk in 1994, and since their music hasn't really changed, they're still punk in 2012.

Punk is a sub-genre of rock, and Green Day's music falls squarely into that sub-genre. The promoters of whoever just so happened to want a punk band at a pop festival, which is fine, because really, rock is just a sub-genre of pop[ular] music.

• Members

View Post

Genre's are lame. Criticizing something because it doesn't completely fit a genre is lamer.

Genres in of themselves aren't lame, They simply exist to make it easier to organize music and help people find more music they may like. What is lame is the grossly exaggerated importance many seem to attach to them.

• Members

View Post

Genre's are lame. Criticizing something because it doesn't completely fit a genre is lamer.

Genres in of themselves aren't lame, They simply exist to make it easier to organize music and help people find more music they may like. What is lame is the grossly exaggerated importance many seem to attach to them.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by xrleroyx

View Post

I would've been pissed off too. Like them or not, Green Day is/was a HUGE band. A punk rock band. Good for him.

I read somewhere that they were 30 minutes late getting on stage... if that's true, that makes him look like even more of a diva....facepalm.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by xrleroyx

View Post

I would've been pissed off too. Like them or not, Green Day is/was a HUGE band. A punk rock band. Good for him.

I read somewhere that they were 30 minutes late getting on stage... if that's true, that makes him look like even more of a diva....facepalm.gif

Archived