I'm On Billy Joe's Side. How About You?

Cobalt Blue

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum

View Post

If the guy is now in rehab, he was ill when he did what he did.

I can't stand the music or image that Green Day or BJ portray and yes Celine Dion is more punk than he is.

Let's see how he gets on in rehab, it can often turn a wanker boy into a relatively mature grown up.

Everybody deserves a chance, it's now up to him whether he takes it

Come on Sean, don't sit on the fence about their music! What do you really think?!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by frankthomson

View Post

$10k in damage

Millions $$$ in exposure

sounds like WIN to me

Agreed.

The crowd seemed to enjoy it and now can say they witnessed a rock-'n-roll moment ("OMG! Really? You were there when Billy Joe smahed his guitar during the 'one minute' tirade??") The festival got it's monies worth with more free press that should produce bigger attendance in the future, and BJ got his moment to vent & some apparent motivation to move things in a more positive direction. As far as "sides" go, I think everyone came out on top. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Beyer160

View Post

The Grateful Dead played a 3+ hour show at my college in the early '70s, and ignored all signals to stop. Finally, an electrician cut the mains breaker. The band picked up their acoustic instruments, sat on the edge of the stage, and played another hour. The moral of the story is that the Dead were more punk rock than Green Day.

Pretty much this. Should have played until they had to pull you offstage physically. {censored} the clock.

I see his point, but that was drama queen stuff, and the substance rehab announcement that followed. By the way, we have a new album coming out! Yeah.

And the "I'm sorry for offending you, oh master Clear Channel." Very punk rock.

• Members

He could've made all the points he wanted without looking like a privileged, entitled douche.

Just explain to the crowd what's going on, "unfortunately we have to cut our set short so usher can have a longer sound check, we apologize but we promise we'll be back soon and play a show without Usher."

Everything about his rant seems so fake.

• Members

BTW -- is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that nowadays in order to have any punk "cred" there seems to be a rule that you must have at least 25% of your body covered in tattoos. I think if I were still playing punk I would probably want to do it in a suit and tie, with absolutely neat hair, etc. just of {censored} with their heads....

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Helldogg

View Post

LMAO! Brilliant? Green Day? A fair pop band few good songs, but don't you think brilliant is pushing it?

Nope.

American Idiot is {censored}ing brilliant, start to finish.

And, Longview was a welcome break from grunge when it hit the airwaves. It ain't rocket science, but, some times anger, 2-3 chords and a {censored}load of amps are the perfect solution.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bsman

View Post

BTW -- is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that nowadays in order to have any punk "cred" there seems to be a rule that you must have at least 25% of your body covered in tattoos. I think if I were still playing punk I would probably want to do it in a suit and tie, with absolutely neat hair, etc. just of {censored} with their heads....

Bouncing Souls:

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bsman

View Post

Looking like you just stepped off the set of Mad Men.

Playing a gleaming Les Paul Black Beauty.

thumb.gif

• Members

i dont think green day sucks. Hell they sounded pretty good during that show, and the singer was wasted.

Story is the band was 30 minutes late getting to the stage thats why they were cut short. so its all thier fault.

He used to be a punk rocker, now hes a Rock Star with Lead Vocalist syndrome.

someone call the wambulance.

whats less punk rock is when the bass player (copying Billy) tries to smash his bass but cant. lol

• Members

My opinion: Who really cares? He mouthed off at a big corporate radio event. It seems so inconsequential. Is there really any merit in debating whether something is punk or not? If the announcement of going to rehab is true, maybe the guy was high as a kite and that meltdown made him realize he was acting like a child?

As far as plagarism goes, most of Green Day's songs have 3 chords in them. Is anyone shocked that there are a myriad of other songs that share similar/same chord progressions and melodies? Every artist is guilty of stealing from their influences. It happens though osmosis. I know when I was younger and in a band, I'd come up with riffs and end up trashing them later because I realized I directly ripped it off from someone else but I wasn't doing it conciously. I doubt Green Day or Clapton or whoever it is that floats your boat is doing intentionally either. Whether or not somebody is a "genius" in terms of songwriting is subjective.

I'm kinda indifferent to Green Day these days. I'm not too big on their music but you can't argue with success. They've been around longer than some people around here may have been alive with (I believe) the same exact line up (sans the add'l guitar player they use live). They were doing it for years and years before they ever made it big. Like plenty of other bands in that genre, they probably would have continued to do it whether or not they got big.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho

View Post

My opinion: Who really cares? He mouthed off at a big corporate radio event. It seems so inconsequential. Is there really any merit in debating whether something is punk or not? If the announcement of going to rehab is true, maybe the guy was high as a kite and that meltdown made him realize he was acting like a child?

As far as plagarism goes, most of Green Day's songs have 3 chords in them. Is anyone shocked that there are a myriad of other songs that share similar/same chord progressions and melodies? Every artist is guilty of stealing from their influences. It happens though osmosis. I know when I was younger and in a band, I'd come up with riffs and end up trashing them later because I realized I directly ripped it off from someone else but I wasn't doing it conciously. I doubt Green Day or Clapton or whoever it is that floats your boat is doing intentionally either. Whether or not somebody is a "genius" in terms of songwriting is subjective.

I'm kinda indifferent to Green Day these days. I'm not too big on their music but you can't argue with success. They've been around longer than some people around here may have been alive with (I believe) the same exact line up (sans the add'l guitar player they use live). They were doing it for years and years before they ever made it big. Like plenty of other bands in that genre, they probably would have continued to do it whether or not they got big.

I totally agree...

Archived