I'm On Billy Joe's Side. How About You?

Cobalt Blue

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by hardtdc

View Post

Finally, someone gets it! What kind of band is Greenday? Punkrock. And punkrock typically goes against the establishment. That's exactly what he was doing.......... Sticking it to the man!

I thought it was par for the course.

His set got cut short, the crowd wasn't really into them, he destroyed his own equipt., I think the man stuck it to him. Bret Michaels called him too and wants his eye liner back.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bbreaker

View Post

Billie Joe should thank God that he is actually signed to a record label.

Why is that? Labels only sign to make money. They don't do favors.

He and his band are hugely popular artists...who continue to make music that is commercial, even in their geezerdom.

I think they are one of the most impressive examples of staying power. That we are talking about them now, 24 years later, proves this.

And the same members! You gotta be a decent kinda guy to have your mates stick with you for that long.

They get my respect, in spades.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedCarrot

View Post

He really didn't sound pissed to me. IMO it sounded more like he took a 1 minute opportunity and turned it into a lot of press coverage for the price of a $1500 guitar. Not a bad move actually.

So he's out a guitar AND he looks like a dumbass in the press? Sounds like a lose-lose scenario to me.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Beyer160

View Post

As long as they didn't cut your check in half, who cares? All the money for half the work sounds like a good deal to me. What a douche.

The Grateful Dead played a 3+ hour show at my college in the early '70s, and ignored all signals to stop. Finally, an electrician cut the mains breaker. The band picked up their acoustic instruments, sat on the edge of the stage, and played another hour. The moral of the story is that the Dead were more punk rock than Green Day.

Celine Dion is more punk rock than Green Day.

• Members

As much as I despise Usher, Rhianna and Justin Bieber and all the other "singers" that they dump into the R&B genre because they don't fit anywhere else, I despise Green Day even more.

Billy Jo's "schtick" (righteous indignation) is very tiresome. He is the opening act playing to a crowd who could care less about him.

Did Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney throw a {censored} fit when the plug was pulled on them in London?

• Members

We're talking about Green Day on the internet, and we weren't talking about them yesterday. Mission accpmplished. I used to love the band, and while the fandom has waned, I'll still listen to their new stuff. I hope it's not like 21st Century Breakdown, which I didn't like.

• Members

Seemed staged and disingenuous. Far to many poorly placed F words. I was starting to become a bit embarrassed for him when it seemed like he wouldn't be able to break that guitar. Was quite relieved when he got it on the 5th try.

• Members

I agree with this^^^. When I saw it I was thinking how staged the whole thing looked. I have nothing against GD but their music is about as poppy as it gets, imo. They wear 'punky' costumes/clothes/makeup and sing about typical subjects. I honestly dont see much difference between them and Usher or Beiber.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Beyer160

View Post

So he's out a guitar AND he looks like a dumbass in the press? Sounds like a lose-lose scenario to me.

I doubt being out the guitar is a big deal. Cheaper than paying for promotion. And you really think all this bad press hurts a band like that? If anything, its put them in public view for the first time in a long time. Like I said, they just got put on the front page for the cost of a Les Paul Special - that's cheap advertising if you ask me.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by myhero34

View Post

I honestly think it was a stunt to try to give Green Day some punk cred. Especially after their most recent album.

Yeah, they haven't released a decent album since Nimrod, what was that like 97? Usher is still making platinum selling albums whether we like it or not. As someone earlier said, its an industry

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky1963

View Post

AP is reporting that he's headed for rehab. And that their time was not cut by the festival organizers.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-23-15-02-58

I remember hearing or reading somewhere that the guy has some difficulties with clinical depression. When the energy levels are up, that can certainly come out like rage.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettoothtony

View Post

Yeah, they haven't released a decent album since Nimrod, what was that like 97? Usher is still making platinum selling albums whether we like it or not. As someone earlier said, its an industry

What an odd argument, considering that Green Day's last two studio albums (American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown) have also gone platinum.

Archived