NGD!!

Brindleleaf

• Members

Anyone who has glanced at the other threads I started recently will know that I was tempted by a no-name Les,Paul copy for $150.

In the end, I found someone who had a hollow-body Ibanez AK-95 that he was looking to swap, and I had a folk guitar too many (if that concept really exists 😯)...so we swapped then today!

I have just spent far too much time on Youtube figuring out how to adjust intonation once the "floating" saddle fell off when I removed the strings! (dumbass the concept is right there in the name! 😕).

It's a very interesting second electric guitar.

In the second photo you can see a small rust-spot on one of the frets (i can see it, but can't feel it when I touch it)...should I bother trying to get that off?

IMG_20200705_183954.jpg

IMG_20200705_165449.jpg

IMG_20200705_183611.jpg

IMG_20200705_183954.thumb.jpg.6d2aafbb21582b5c8e4e7ad067aeeeb5.jpg

IMG_20200705_165449.thumb.jpg.26f89a425c1c9ee78458b04fe1eb9c22.jpg

IMG_20200705_183611.thumb.jpg.63e46e1e6fcd2bc388951e0830701043.jpg

• Like 2

• Members
18 minutes ago, Grant Harding said:

Congrats! That's a fine looking geetar!

I wouldn't worry about the little fret blemish if you can't feel it. Make up a little story, like that's where you knocked out a guy's tooth in a bar fight. 😀

Blood stain....Yep, exactly! 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Happy NGD! Enjoy!

a moment of steel wool application and that spot should be gone.

Floating bridges are a PITA, but you can

the base in place...I'm would not do exactly what this guy did, I would use something like a small roll pin rather than nails, and even he admits he should have taped the bridge down for the transfer of the holes...I would have drilled through just to mark the points, then removed the bridge, drilled, installed the pins and then put the bridge back...he spends way too much time fussing with those nails, IMHO

• Members

Then that stain will be gone! (The inlays looks like something out of The Lord of the Rings ffs...magic {censored} indeed!).

I haven't watched the video yet...Will have a look when my new guitar gets tired...

Edited by Brindleleaf
Wow..s hi t gets censored....damn...!

• Members

Lovely guitar. Ibanez knows their stuff. Congratulations and Happy New Guitar Day. :thu: Mask the fret so you don't take a chance of marring the wood and use very fine steel wool with minimal pressure. One of those multi sided nail shaping/filing blocks works too.

• Members
20 minutes ago, DeepEnd said:

Lovely guitar. Ibanez knows their stuff. Congratulations and Happy New Guitar Day. :thu: Mask the fret so you don't take a chance of marring the wood and use very fine steel wool with minimal pressure. One of those multi sided nail shaping/filing blocks works too.

Okay, thanks.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Mikeo said:

Enjoy.

Kind of remind me of my Gibson ES 135.

Top shape wise, with the Florentine cutaway, yeah, but the AK is a true hollowbody jazz box. Which is why it has the floating wood bridge....unlike our ES-135s which are semis with much thinner bodies.

• Members

Good move passing on that LP Copy. I am a big fan of Ibanez guitars, they build some really nice guitars that last.

When you do a string change, just replace one string at a time and you'll never have the mess with the bridge. If you want to clean/treat the fretboard and have to remove all the strings, run a piece of blue painter's tape on the body along the backside of the bridge and at both ends to positively locate the bridge. You can tape the bridge down but if you bump it, it will move. With location outlined on the body by the tape, you can't miss.

• Members
1 hour ago, badpenguin said:

Nice guitar, I've always loved the Ibanez hollows.

And for the bridge. a tiny drop of contact cement will keep the bridge in place during string changes, without any marring of the finish.

that will bottleneck the harmonic transmission into the wood!11!!1*

• Members

Thanks guys.

In fact, when I got it, the intonation wasn't quite right so I was gong to be moving the saddle anyway, so I just took it right off so I could clean everything properly....

...of course then it breaks down to two pieces and then I needed to fiddle around to get the action right too.

On the other hand, that's the best way to learn...just dive right and make a mess! 😀

• Members

I have an Ibanez AS 95 (I think the S, the other sort of cutaway). Yours from nice era like mine with the lovely inlays, matching pickguard and that cool tailpiece. Very well made guitar. Wooden saddle... mine came with TOM on wooden base.

If you didn't want to pin the bridge, could always get in right place and put a few small Sharpie dots to mark.

If I could suggest an upgrade, it would be to get a pair of StewMac golden age humbuckers. Cost me about $100 for the pair shipped few years back. Made huge difference in sound. I cannot urge you more strongly to try this. Friend with ES335 said he liked my modded Ibanez tone more than his Gibby. And he is not a flatterer.

Great price you paid, too. Never sell it, my advice

• Members

Hi Emory! (Haven't seen your name since I used to hang out in the acoustic section YEARS back 😀).

Well...I 'paid' a Guild GAD-25, which was a lovely guitar too (but I play my Lakewook much, much more often tbh).

Glad to hear good things about this guitar. I think I'm going to keep the PUs as they are for the moment, since they are already a new, interesting sound for me, and I think my next purchase will be a Tone City King of Blues overdrive...BUT...I will keep your suggestion in mind...are you talking about the Stewmac Golden Age Parsons Street Humbuckers? If so, do you mean the Alnico 5s, or 2s?

• Members

You can also get a tune-o-matic style bridge that drops right on the wood base. They brighten/focus the tone a bit. They sell for less than $20 on eBay and include both the bridge and the base. Throw the base out and use yours since it fits the contour of your top. They come with small bushings that slip over the tuner posts so the bridge doesn't rock on the smaller posts. I've bought this one Tune-o-matic style jazz bridge and installed on vintage Japanese hollowbodies. The difference was like and night and day on those.

spacer.png

Edited by 6down1togo
  • Like 1

• Members
On 7/6/2020 at 2:00 AM, 6down1togo said:

Good move passing on that LP Copy. I am a big fan of Ibanez guitars, they build some really nice guitars that last.

When you do a string change, just replace one string at a time and you'll never have the mess with the bridge. If you want to clean/treat the fretboard and have to remove all the strings, run a piece of blue painter's tape on the body along the backside of the bridge and at both ends to positively locate the bridge. You can tape the bridge down but if you bump it, it will move. With location outlined on the body by the tape, you can't miss.

Good to know thanks, or Emory's sharpie technique.