Appropriate tube amplifier for middle class suburban home.

TrevorGil

• Members
Mesa Boogie has been way ahead of the furniture amp game for 4 decades.

Too bad his middle class amp budget is a bit low. The middle class amp budget can be so cruel to the middle class.

Mark5-112Bub-large.jpg

mesa-boogie-mark-v-custom-head-1x12-cab-private-reserve-flamed-french-walnut-44_2048x2048.jpeg?v=1433380962

The neighbours would report me for having such an aggressive looking amp - I have a zero tolerance to drugs, so why would I want to have an amp of this nature? I am a very conservative individual, and I am in full support of Theresa May's benefit cuts. I do not tolorate loutish behaviour, so it would look very strange of me to have ownership of an amplifier which is of a loutish nature within a middle class context.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

although I think you are trolling us, and your 'upper-middle class' schtick is pretty thin, I will make a serious suggestion to you.

I would suggest you find a >1 watt amplifier,

like a Little Leilani...you can tuck this amp away in a breadbox when your pommy neighbors come calling

: http://www.mahaffayamps.com/little-l...arter-watt.htm

Stop trying to pretend you are something you are not, and stop thinking everyone in your 'hood is watching everything you are doing. In the US, we put straitjackets on people like that.

And before you even try...I live in a very 'upscale' part of Los Angeles where the average home is over a million dollars, my neighbors are doctors, lawyers, bank presidents, authors...and me...the crazy musician guy.

I have multiple degrees, and run my own consulting business on the side, as well as being a performing musician, bandleader and sideman.

I have tube amps from 5 to 40 watts, and all kinds of acoustic, acoustic electric and electric guitars.

Get over yourself!

• Moderators

For your information, I go to John Lewis.

Well whoopedy-doo for you and Mr. Lewis...never heard of that name this side of the pond, sorry...is that some upperclass twit store or something? :idk:

Here, no one really cares where you buy your furniture...personally, I prefer antiques....

• Members

For your information, I go to John Lewis.

I wouldn't ever be seen in IKEA - the neighbours would talk if they saw any IKEA chav furniture in my very middle class home.

for your information, i was talking about MY furniture. when i started living on my own it was all i could afford, starting my first job after finishing university.

now furniture is just functional and not really important to me and i'm not willing to spent more money it than really necessary.

i spend my money on more important things :)

• Members

The neighbours would report me for having such an aggressive looking amp - I have a zero tolerance to drugs, so why would I want to have an amp of this nature? I am a very conservative individual, and I am in full support of Theresa May's benefit cuts. I do not tolorate loutish behaviour, so it would look very strange of me to have ownership of an amplifier which is of a loutish nature within a middle class context.

Maybe you need a DR Z Z Wreck. They come in a combo and head and cab configuration.

I presonally would order tow of em, so I could run em in stereo.

[video=youtube;d_Y8uPJ_2Bo]

[video=youtube;8FLcYOo8qOA]

You want the Z reverb unit too and a couple of Brake Lite.

[video=youtube;T-SNrv8jO9Q]

They come in different colors too, so they won't clash with you furniture.

Victoria makes a lovely Fender clone too.You should also look at the Swart AST's. maybe a Tone King Falcon.

Magantone's are very cool.

[video=youtube;jq7Wfe5kjDI]

But if you can't swing a Magnatone, Supro is very middle class.

• Members
although I think you are trolling us, and your 'upper-middle class' schtick is pretty thin, I will make a serious suggestion to you.

I would suggest you find a >1 watt amplifier,

like a Little Leilani...you can tuck this amp away in a breadbox when your pommy neighbors come calling

: http://www.mahaffayamps.com/little-l...arter-watt.htm

Stop trying to pretend you are something you are not, and stop thinking everyone in your 'hood is watching everything you are doing. In the US, we put straitjackets on people like that.

And before you even try...I live in a very 'upscale' part of Los Angeles where the average home is over a million dollars, my neighbors are doctors, lawyers, bank presidents, authors...and me...the crazy musician guy.

I have multiple degrees, and run my own consulting business on the side, as well as being a performing musician, bandleader and sideman.

I have tube amps from 5 to 40 watts, and all kinds of acoustic, acoustic electric and electric guitars.

Get over yourself!

I know that you are very anti-British, but I don't care what you do in the US. However, I do know that you have a very uncouth police force and a big problem with racism and school massacares, as well as a large problem with inbreeding in the south. In WWII the British where very shocked at how bad you treated soldiers that were black. We don't do racism in the UK. We don't have areas where we put people based on the colour of their skin. Us British also don't feel that we need guns, our British police aren't scared to take people with guns/knives down without a weapon themselves. Take a US police officer and take away his gun, and you get a scared individual half way through an identity crisis. Now you don't even have a real politician running your country, just a two-bit trader from brooklyn with a toupee donned on. The bleeder can't even find a good barber.

So cut that USA bravado Sh!te and get concentrating on your own porblems instead of mouthing off about the UK.

Straitjackets for thinking about neighbours eh? - you can shove that form of liberty and freedom right up your arse.

Death Penalty? You can shove that form of liberty and freedom up your arse too.

Discrimination against people because of their melanin levels? - You can shove that one firmly up there as well mate.

Can't have a Gin & Tonic until 21? Sod off.

• Members

I know that you are very anti-British, but I don't care what you do in the US. However, I do know that you have a very uncouth police force and a big problem with racism and school massacares, as well as a large problem with inbreeding in the south. In WWII the British where very shocked at how bad you treated soldiers that were black. We don't do racism in the UK. We don't have areas where we put people based on the colour of their skin. Us British also don't feel that we need guns, our British police aren't scared to take people with guns/knives down without a weapon themselves. Take a US police officer and take away his gun, and you get a scared individual half way through an identity crisis. Now you don't even have a real politician running your country, just a two-bit trader from brooklyn with a toupee donned on. The bleeder can't even find a good barber.

So cut that USA bravado Sh!te and get concentrating on your own porblems instead of mouthing off about the UK.

Straitjackets for thinking about neighbours eh? - you can shove that form of liberty and freedom right up your arse.

Discrimination against people because of their melanin levels? - You can shove that one firmly up there as well mate.

I'm sorry if you blindly believe what you do. None of this has anything to do with choosing an amplifiers however. If you want to get political you should post in the political forum where children resort to slinging mud.

No one is bashing your country and you shouldn't resort to such foolishness here.

I've been visiting this site since 95 and the people who post here are mostly dedicated musicians helping each other find solutions to their need. They don't always agree but they do respect an individuals right to have an opinion, so long as its on topic.

This group has indulged your premise as if you were being honest and made excellent suggestions. They have allot more patience then I do, but given the fact you aren't discussing amps and have strayed completely off topic, how do you expect to be seriously?

Say you were being honest and were looking for an amp that fit your lifestyle, you don't seem to be giving people any clues to how a choice of gear fits in with that lifestyle. I've converted a half dozen of these into guitar amps for guitarists who had wives who thought modern amps were unsightly.

The first guitar amps were usually Radios, many of which had an aux input and musicians simply plugged into them.

Tuberadiomountainwalk002.JPG

Today many people are repurposing them into guitar amps

maxresdefault.jpg

The large ones can sound and look quite excellent. They are already designed to sound good acoustically

hqdefault.jpg

I used to have one like this that I installed a 50 watt head. People got a huge kick out of it when I played on stage. I even had an antique lamp standing next to it to complete the living room look.

GEHJ1005a.jpg

You can even buy them converted to modern amps here.

https://reverb.com/item/2743199-custom-philco-41-295x-guitar-amp-speaker-cab-1941-original-finish-new-shipping-cost?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7cbqzbm71wIVxbbACh0h-A-dEAQYBCABEgLymfD_BwE&pla=1

• Moderators

Anti-British? Not at all, as we have a number of Brits, as well as Scots. Anti Brit? considering I have a number of friends and relatives over there, not hardly. I am anti-troll though. So your attitude, posts and responses have endeared you to me so well, I'm giving you 3 months to adjust....sod off indeed!

• Members

Ah, so the key to playing blues like Jimi is the reverse oversized headstock.

Actually, I've heard claims that the reverse tilt of the bridge PU and the strings have some sort of influence. I can't really argue, just as I would not question Brad Paisley when he says that an Esquire has different tone because there is no routing for the neck PU.

I just feel fortunate to be here when an alt went down.

Archived