NGD... Semi-Hollow Content

steve_man

• Members

It's been a while since I bought a new electric guitar. Been wanting something different for a while, and semi-hollows seem to scratch that itch. Used to own a Dot and a Sheraton, but did not care for their pickups, so I sold them.

Epiphone finally saw fit to upgrade their pickups, and add coil splitting and call them the new "Pro" line, so I just picked up this beauty from Sweetwater:

Screenshot%202017-05-12%2012.51.47_zpsshbctsoq.png

Pretty excited to have a guitar like this again!

• Members

They are the Probuckers, which are patterned after Gibson Burstbuckers. I have them in my Les Paul (Epi), and they are SO much better than the old Alnico variety that Epiphone used for years. That's the main reason I sold my old Sheraton. Loved everything but the sound, and just did not want to mess with a pickup swap in a semi-hollow. Plus, I've really grown to love humbuckers more than I used to, which makes a difference in how I perceive my tone. That, and you can split the coils, which opens things up a lot with my LP.

• Members

I bought an Epi LP Ultra III with the ProBucker line p'ups but had planned from day 1 to upgrade the pickups, which I did with DiMarzio Anniversarys. The difference was subtle and a bit hard to discern without being able to A/B. After the fact, I wish I hadn't bothered. Indeed their Pro line p'ups are a nice improvement over their previous mudbuckers. I mean, even the older models could be tweaked a bit with some pole height and amp EQ adjustments, but definitely their new models have narrowed the gap between Epi p'ups and the Gibson 57s or BBs. Unfortunately I had other problems with that Epi. Its built-in tuner (in the p'up ring) crapped out on day one, the NanoMag fingerboard p'up causes fret buzz from its magnetic pull, and then once my "Gibson factory approved guitar tech" did my p'up swap for me, the NanoMag quit working. I actually put that guitar aside after all that heartbreak and it hasn't seen the light of day for dang near 5 years now. I may eventually take it back to a tech or just give it away to my stepson since "free" would reduce the stress of trying to make it work. But that dang guitar has a PCB in its control cavity, so it's not exactly your basic point to point wiring. That's just one guitar I wish I'd either never gotten attracted to or (B) sent it back to SW the day the tuner crapped out. But it was just so dang purdy. LOL

11121513374-angle-l.jpg

'

Enjoy your new thinline! I also think it's cool that Epi started introducing coil split. Seems like they started offering that a hair ahead of their Gibson counterparts.

• Moderators

The Epis now coming out of Qingdao are very fine instruments, as good as the best Korean were and better used bargains.

Nice score Steve.

One small hint. I f you do buy a case for that, try and take the guitar with you, as the semi cases that fit many 335 a likes do not fit Sheratons due to the headstock size

• Members
It's been a while since I bought a new electric guitar. Been wanting something different for a while' date=' and semi-hollows seem to scratch that itch. Used to own a Dot and a Sheraton, but did not care for their pickups, so I sold them.[/size']

Epiphone finally saw fit to upgrade their pickups, and add coil splitting and call them the new "Pro" line, so I just picked up this beauty from Sweetwater:

Screenshot%202017-05-12%2012.51.47_zpsshbctsoq.png

Pretty excited to have a guitar like this again!

Very nice! I'm happy with my Epiphone ES339.

• Members
The Epis now coming out of Qingdao are very fine instruments, as good as the best Korean were and better used bargains.

Nice score Steve.

One small hint. I f you do buy a case for that, try and take the guitar with you, as the semi cases that fit many 335 a likes do not fit Sheratons due to the headstock size

Thanks for that info. I figured that out the hard way with the first Sheraton that I owned. Bought the Epiphone case with this one!

• Members

de1e0d84-9898-4e71-b6af-4c87fa617ef7_zpsximivnf4.jpg

finally came in from Sweetwater yesterday. Got to sit and put the Sheraton through it's paces. Like I said, I had a Sheraton several years ago, but there are some distinct differences. I REALLY like the new Probucker pickups, especially compared to the old muddy Epi classics. Much more clarity, and they are just much more musical to my ears. Clean sound is great, distorted and even on the edge of distortion sounds just like I hoped it would.

The neck also feels like they have reshaped it a bit. Does not feel so much like a 60's slim taper. feels a bit thicker, with a great curve to it.

Finish is first-rate, and Sweetwater did a good job setting it up. Was barely out of tune when it came out of the box. Love it!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived