Anyone get guitar stuff for the holidays?

Mark Wein

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, it's interesting that the EP Booster has internal dip switches. One being a "bright" switch for which they consider "On" to be the default factory setting. I played with it just a bit last night through a hand-wired Fender '57 Deluxe Custom and a Marshall 1973X.

I thought it paired better with the Fender amp, and for the Marshall, it made me wish that bright dip switch was on the outside since that's a chimier amp without much need for more trebley presence. But it's cool. Before I got this one, I was limited to a Yngwie Malmsteen DOD-250 and a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster. I'll check out the RC Booster. Thanks

No problem! The RC Booster is "flatter" sounding to start with but you have bass, treble and gain controls to work with. I keep a "Scott Henderson" version in my gig bag (which I guess is now the version 2 of the original) because it has two gain stages to work with so it's a nice single pedal to use for jams or pickup gigs. For just a plain flat boost with no coloration I just added a TC Electronic "SPark Mini" to my rig. It just has a volume knob. It also has a neat momentary feature with the button that I really dig as well. I'm using it for the first tie tomorrow night on a gig so I'll report back.

Wifey got me an Xotic Effect EP-Booster. That's a pretty cool pedal. I'd seen a YT vid about it, but hadn't delved too deep into my review of them, so it was a pleasant surprise, i.e. she bought me something I did not already have and had interest in. I like the effect is has on tone, adding some more vibey presence along with the boost. She also bought me some fancy resin cast picks.

Son got me a Polytune. Usually these days I'm using a Snark and happy with those, but I can see where it's ability to read all strings in one strum could be a time saver tuning up.

He also got me a way cool little "Barefoot Button". You add them onto the on/off button on your guitar effect, making it easier on your foot (if barefoot or just wearing socks) or makes for an easier to hit button if you're wearing shoes. It's a cool little bit of kit. I'll be buying more of these for my pedals. Back in October I had a jam at my house with my bandmates, and I had a string of pedals on my carpeted floor. It really hurt hitting one or two of the pedals with just my foot wearing socks, so I had to put on some slippers to protect my foot. Now that I know these things exist I'll be getting more for my pedals for that purpose or just to make them easier to turn on/off by hand as well.

http://barefootbuttons.com/

For my son, who also plays, I got him the Korg Miku Stomp Vocaloid pedal. I highly recommend those to anyone who likes to laugh. But there's also a plus side to what could be dismissed as a "novelty pedal". The thing not only inspires your to pick up a guitar for fun, but also makes you focus on lead lines, which could be good for snapping one out of a rhythm rut.

Not that great of a demo but I was on Facebook live last night killing time and I went through my pedals a bit with my Deluxe Reverb: https://www.facebook.com/mwein/videos/10154911139597425/?l=7170124607068535045

This one is from a soundcheck a month or so ago after I first got the Boss ES-8 and I go through the pedals a little more directly: https://www.facebook.com/mwein/videos/10154781656832425/?l=4035035944602664974

• Members

Wife got me a little Tanglewood folk-size a******c guitar for me to use playing slide with a gospel/blues band, mother gave me a pedal case, brother & his wife gave me a set of tuners, some knobs and a belt with a guitar-shaped buckle, and there's a mini-pedal (coming from China) from my son.

Quite a guitar Christmas this year. :)

• Members

This is not that exciting. Okay, it's not really exciting at all, but I got the Rocksmith guitar-to-USB cable. Go ahead, laugh...but it means I can plug a guitar into my laptop without having to carry an ASIO audio interface around. Normally the latency would be a kllljoy but Windows 10 really cleaned up the WASAPI drivers to where I'm getting about 7 ms round-trip latency with SONAR - actually better than I was getting with ASIO drivers.

What I really wanted was to get my blond Rickenbacker 360 12-string repaired and a blueberry burst SG Supreme, but they're going to have to wait...

• Members

Ok, so while most of this wasn't specifically for Christmas and wrapped under the tree, it did all come as the result of Christmas.. So....

2012 Fender American Standard HSS

Walrus Deep 6 Compressor

Sparkle Drive

Ernie Ball VP Jr.

Boss EQ

Boss SD-1

Boss DS-1

EHX Crayon

AMT Japanese Girl wah

Polytune 2

Donner Yellow Fall delay

Planet Waves pedal board cable kit

Temple Audio Duo 24 pedal board

Donner DP-2 power supply

Seems like I'm forgetting something, but that's enough... Damn GAS LOL

Plus I still have $250 in unspent Christmas gift money. Probably going for cables, strings and more pedals I don't have room on my board for.

Oh and I won a Donner White Wizard modulation pedal from them on Facebook. They called it Christmas gift, so I guess it counts.. Can't wait to try the thing out.

• Members

Roc-n-Soc drum throne

Swirly-gig knockoff

Stedman headphone hanger

two books on music theory from Berklee Press

Korg iODDESSY

...and just because MF is having a great post-holiday incentive...

I bought myself a Line6 Helix. UPS tells me it'll be in my hands tomorrow.

• Members

I got myself a $59 Monoprice California Classic to welcome the new year. It's their S-Type guitar. I have their "Route 66" Gold Top and really like it. Yes, I'm into cheap guitars.

I already have a strat (a Squier I refinished) so I'm not sure what I'll do with this one. We'll see how it sounds out of the box. GFS makes strat-sized gold foils that could be fun to play with.

• Members

I bought an EVH "D Tuna" only to discover that:

a) It wouldn't fit the guitar due to the bridge being recessed into the body

b) I didn't need one anyway as the fine tuner has more than a whole step range in it! (don't need to switch tuning instantly)

Doh!

Worst £60 I ever spent...

Archived