So I solved my "archtop problem" yesterday - NGD!!!!!

Mark Wein

Ok....I had seen this store open up a couple of months ago but never got around to checking it out....since the kids were at grandmas this afternoon we figured I would swing on by and check it out if it was open. I was pretty amazed at the selection they had of amps, guitars, and pedals. some other collectible stuff like skateboards in there too. Yesterday I had a crappy experience at GC and walked out without buying anything so I figured I was out of the market for a while. I played some of the Gibsons (a Charlie Christian, a couple of 335's and a 347) before trying the Guild that was behind the counter. THAT was the one out of every guitar I've played in the past year or so of looking at archtops. it plays great, was in better shape than anything else other than a few scrapes over the strings and sounds lively. Mrs Wein convinced me (as she did 14 years ago with my Les Paul) that I should just buy it since I need the instrument, can't find anything else usable at a lower pricepoint and we can always use one more tax deduction for the year s.gifp).

3c36559e6168490e2524bd6f5cdb07f6.jpg

6c79915f52b240199e5831a6fa926b25.jpg

1971 Guild X-500b. Virtually brand new with the original case. Essentially Mrs W is the coolest wife ever.

7e6ffdd09d30deee278c81a8295079f3.jpg

2289f4c6ceba07a566e8d1fe0fec13fa.jpg

1f9607a4802ef819eb32b8c0e1ce871f.jpg

happy new guitar day, how much does something like that go for?

and cool store, altough it looks a bit cold with the qhite walls, do the stock only used stuff?

I could tell you but I'd have to kill you :o

just kidding. I worked him down to $4k tax included. The blonds seem to go for between $4000 and $4500. It's the most I've ever paid for a guitar but on the other hand its also a business expense so it'll go on my tax depreciation schedule like everything else.

And yeah, they only sell used gear.

• Members
Sweet! It's a 71? ABSOLUTELY beautiful! And I want that Ric 620!

If you have not played one before, make sure you play the 620 before you buy it. My 620 has a rather narrow neck and it takes me a few minutes to get used to it. It's even narrower than the 330 I have.

If you have not played one before, make sure you play the 620 before you buy it. My 620 has a rather narrow neck and it takes me a few minutes to get used to it. It's even narrower than the 330 I have.

I hear comments about the narrowness of Ric necks fairly often, and have run across some Rics with fairly narrow necks over the years. Reading about yours made me decide to do something I've never done with mine - measure the neck.

According to my digital calipers, my 1991 Rickenbacker 610 has a neck width at the nut of 1.650", and it is 0.830" thick at the first fret - both of which are fairly standard measurements. But I do agree that there's something a bit "different" about playing the Ric... the neck's profile shape is thicker in the shoulders than some of my other guitars and fairly rounded overall, plus they finish the rosewood, which gives it a different feel too.

I'd definitely second the idea of playing the guitar first before buying, or at least checking on the dealer's return policy before purchasing one.

I hear comments about the narrowness of Ric necks fairly often, and have run across some Rics with fairly narrow necks over the years. Reading about yours made me decide to do something I've never done with mine - measure the neck.

According to my digital calipers, my 1991 Rickenbacker 610 has a neck width at the nut of 1.650", and it is 0.830" thick at the first fret - both of which are fairly standard measurements. But I do agree that there's something a bit "different" about playing the Ric... the neck's profile shape is thicker in the shoulders than some of my other guitars and fairly rounded overall, plus they finish the rosewood, which gives it a different feel too.

I'd definitely second the idea of playing the guitar first before buying, or at least checking on the dealer's return policy before purchasing one.

As cool as my 615 sounded I never enjoyed playing it...I ended up selling it to a friend so its there to be borrowed back if I needed it but the neck on that one had the "narrow" feel too.

24-1375372441-4b54e850a4c8fc4f58f9225358d456cf.jpg

24 by Mark Wein on MarkWeinGuitarLessons.com

I wanted a Fireglo like that but couldn't find one anywhere when I was ready to buy my Ric - the only one I could find anywhere was Jetglo, which is what I got. I still really like the guitar a lot after all these years, but it's definitely got a different playing feel to it than most of my other guitars. It's a surprisingly good rock rhythm guitar though - it does great crunch tones. It's not just the jangle machine most people assume when they hear the word "Rickenbacker."

Archived