Who`s your biggest, we`ll go with guitar, influences?

redEL34

• Members

Hmmm, some surprising omissions from this list.

My personal favs....

Bill Nelson

Les Paul (Duhhhh...)

Steve Hacket

Anthony Phillips

Robert Fripp

Gary Moore

Steve Vai

Chet Atkins

Roy Clarke

Carlos

Frank Zappa

That guy from Caravan

That other guy from Camel

John and George from that 60's band from the UK

Pete Townsend

and about 2 or 3 hundred others who's name escape me.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My cousin plays in blues band, has since I was little. So he's first.

Joe Perry

Then on to:

James Hetfield

Kerry King

Jeff Hanneman

Dimebag Darrell

Michael Derks aka Balsac the Jaws of Death

Trey Azagthoth

Allan West

Ralph Santolla

Max Cavalera

Those are my biggest influences.

• Members

I'm going to have to go with:

My Dad

Because he was the biggest influence on me.

My dad owned a couple flamenco guitars, played just a bit, and bought me my first guitar around 1966.

I think that got my head set to where this was something I wanted to do, more so than any artist whose music I may love, but have never been able to fully emulate.

Plus I grew up listening to records he used to own and play when they entertained. My fondest memories are from hearing "Out Of Our Heads" The Rolling Stones, and "Walk Don't Run" The Ventures. Now his tastes were quite varied, but those two albums put the "I want to learn electric guitar" into my head.

This stuff got into my DNA. Now most folks here should know "Walk Don't Run" but check out their cover of House of the Rising Sun. Once it gets past the Hammond B3 parts, Bob Bogle launches a really cool Chuck Berry-esque run. Definitely something back in the day.

[video=youtube;e7z5cXSfY-Y]

And that RS album, Out Of Our Heads, is still one of my top fave due to their groundbreaking cover of blues standards. I see they are circling back to their roots with a new album.

I have influences that are artists I listen to and influences from real life...it's a pretty huge list but I'm fortunate to be surrounded by some great musicians at the moment who have a strong impression on my playing. Really everything I listen to is an influence one way or another....

Archived