Who`s your biggest, we`ll go with guitar, influences?

redEL34

• Members

I`m nowhere near the guitar player I used to be, I`m in a completely different universe musically, but it`s still a big part in my life.

1. My uncles. I would have never started playing at such a young age otherwise.

2. SLASH!!

3. Peter Buck

4. Dave Evans

As you can probably tell, I was an MTV kid. Who needs an old band when you got all this cool new stuff shoved in your face?/ sarcasm

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
I`m nowhere near the guitar player I used to be, I`m in a completely different universe musically, but it`s still a big part in my life.

1. My uncles. I would have never started playing at such a young age otherwise.

2. SLASH!!

3. Peter Buck

4. Dave Evans

As you can probably tell, I was an MTV kid. Who needs an old band when you got all this cool new stuff shoved in your face?/ sarcasm

This is a hard one... cause there are SO many!

Jimi

The 3 Kings

Johnny Guitar Watson

Grant Green

Leo Nocentelli

Jimmy Nolen

Freddie Stone

Eddie Hazel

Jerry Garcia

Frank Zappa

McLaughlin

Jeff Beck

Steve Hillage

Mike Stern

John Scofield

Jimmy Herring

Denny Dias

WalterBecker

Robert Fripp

... just to name a few.

• Members

This is a hard one... cause there are SO many!

Jimi

The 3 Kings

Johnny Guitar Watson

Grant Green

Jimmy Nolen

Freddie Stone

Eddie Hazel

McLaughlin

Jeff Beck

Steve Hillage

Mike Stern

John Scofield

Jimmy Herring

Denny Dias

Robert Fripp

... just to name a few.

See I don`t know who half those people are. MTV.

• Moderators

See I don`t know who half those people are. MTV.

Well, to be fair you'd have to be really into jazz, funk & soul to know who half those people are. I also forgot to include Frank Zappa and Jerry Garcia, which I just fixed ;)

• Moderators

I don`t like the band as much as I like his solos on songs like "New Years Day". Geez, I was probably 7 when that came out and really rubbed off on me.

I was a freshman in college when "Boy" came out. I'm an old fart :lol:

• Members

I was a freshman in college when "Boy" came out. I'm an old fart :lol:

Yeah, time flies. Hell I work at a college. Probably 95% of the people there are more than half my age! They`re kids. 18 does not make you an adult and to make rational choices. A while back I posted a thread about how they`re picking up trash for extra credit, which is great. But you can ask then to walk along a fence in a straight line, and 1 will get lost:facepalm:. I`m not kidding. I`ve just started following them in a Gator(like an ATV) so we don`t lose anyone.

• Members

By best friend through high schools dad. Went to lots of shows and rehearsals. Quite cool for a kid who played violin from age 7, and sax from age 9.

Then a guy I knew since middle school named Russel. Russel played guitar, wore grunge clothes, and serenaded girls. His dad sold me my first car (74 VW beetle), his girlfriend knew me (maybe 5 years older) and she hired me for my first job. She was ok.

He could play, at a level better than anyone else I knew. I picked things up.

Then Kurt Cobain. An influence that can not be overstated. The first CD I purchased (even before my highly influential Colombia house membership) was Nirvana's never mind. Personal CD players were just getting priced right so that a kid could get one on his birthday.

• Members
By best friend through high schools dad. Went to lots of shows and rehearsals. Quite cool for a kid who played violin from age 7, and sax from age 9.

Then a guy I knew since middle school named Russel. Russel played guitar, wore grunge clothes, and serenaded girls. His dad sold me my first car (74 VW beetle), his girlfriend knew me (maybe 5 years older) and she hired me for my first job. She was ok.

He could play, at a level better than anyone else I knew. I picked things up.

Then Kurt Cobain. An influence that can not be overstated. The first CD I purchased (even before my highly influential Colombia house membership) was Nirvana's never mind. Personal CD players were just getting priced right so that a kid could get one on his birthday.

Ahh..a fellow Gen Xer. Yes, Kurt was an influence, but I was well established doing my own thing by the time they came to fruition. So I don`t count him as influencing me, but I really love their music. If anything, that`s how NOT to play guitar. Sloppy and unfocused on purpose. But songwise, pretty excellent IMO.

• Moderators

Ahh..a fellow Gen Xer. Yes, Kurt was an influence, but I was well established doing my own thing by the time they came to fruition. So I don`t count him as influencing me, but I really love their music. If anything, that`s how NOT to play guitar. Sloppy and unfocused on purpose. But songwise, pretty excellent IMO.

I agree. I couldn't appreciate Nirvana when they came out, whatsoever - but when I hear it now I can appreciate the songwriting.

• Members

I agree. I couldn't appreciate Nirvana when they came out, whatsoever - but when I hear it now I can appreciate the songwriting.

Great songwriting. What irritates me is people like Michael Stipe(who I love his songs too) saying things like "he spoke for a generation". and by Kurts own words he "just thinks of interesting lines, and writes them down. Doesn`t really mean anything". I`m paraphrasing, but the lyrics make no sense most of the time, because they`re pieced together notes. He was admittedly no lyrical guru like people want to memorialize him with.

• Members

John Lee Hooker

Hendrix

Beck

Robert Johnson

Muddy Waters

Bo Diddley

Chuck Berry

Keith Richards/Mick Taylor

Jimmy Nolen

Freddie Stone

BB King

Wah Wah Watson

Scotty Moore

McLaughlin

Johnny Guitar Watson

Jessie Ed Davis

Tuck Andress

Tony Madden

Bill Connors

Leo Nocentelli

Stanely Jordan

Hackett

EVH

George Lynch

Greg Howe

SRV

• Moderators

Great songwriting. What irritates me is people like Michael Stipe(who I love his songs too) saying things like "he spoke for a generation". and by Kurts own words he "just thinks of interesting lines, and writes them down. Doesn`t really mean anything". I`m paraphrasing, but the lyrics make no sense most of the time, because they`re pieced together notes. He was admittedly no lyrical guru like people want to memorialize him with.

His writing was very impressionistic... very much like Lennon in that way. He was also a huge fan of Richard Palmer-James, who wrote lyrics for King Crimson's best records. "Red" was also a massive influence musically. Its not an obvious connection, but if you listen to the structures and the (mostly whole tone) intervals, you can hear a direct line to Nirvana tunes.

Archived