Who`s your biggest, we`ll go with guitar, influences?

redEL34

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Let's see... somewhat in chronological order

Ry Cooder

Steve Howe

Jimmy Page

Eddie

Steve Vai

George Lynch

Warren DiMartini

Nuno Bettencourt

A gang of various funk guys, many of whom I came to by way of rap samples

Scofield

Scott Henderson

Guthrie Govan

YJM (kind of a late comer, but I do covet his vibrato and tone... and the bionic fingers :0)

• Members

Would never have guessed

Seriously.

Well at that point it was more like idol worship than the borg dissection thing, so I probably don't have much, if any, of his style. But I was kind of obsessed with Yes! And I can still play a decent "Mood for a Day." Right about the time they replaced Howe with Rabin was my guitar infancy. It was very confusing!

• Members

When I was starting out my parents and I would watch Hee Haw on TV. I became a huge fan of Roy Clark and always wanted to play like him. My college roommate Tom was a great guitarist and taught me a whole lot. I still can't play like either of them.

• Members

Many too.

I guess I would have to start with:

Tony Iommi (Master of Reality was my first album)

Then of course came Jimmy and Jimi. Trower a bit too and Beck. Throw in some Townshend. As we got older and the times changed. I started looking at the old blues players Wolf, Hopkins, Hooker and Johnson, At the same time I was going to Lifeson, Howe, Morse. Then punk hit and all things changed. East Bay Ray, Rocky became go tos. Loved Andy Summers too. My wife say I am a melding of Lifeson/Page/Summers/Rocky. I have to add the boys in Iron Maiden too. A band I was in was once described in a local paper as Iron Maiden meets the Dead Kennedys. So surf rock metal is what I do.

• Members

The Edge is incredible (IMHO) if you can put Bono's voice on ignore. He's like a VH to me: incredibly distinct and influential sound. I mean, he ain't a technical guru, but I love how he can fill tons of space and still leave lots of freq range space wide open. I'm sure others did it before (like Gilmour on 'Run Like Hell') but by my generation, the Edge was synonymous with double-tap delay and high up chord voicings that are obvious yet unused by most rock players.

• Members

Great songwriting. What irritates me is people like Michael Stipe(who I love his songs too) saying things like "he spoke for a generation". and by Kurts own words he "just thinks of interesting lines, and writes them down. Doesn`t really mean anything". I`m paraphrasing, but the lyrics make no sense most of the time, because they`re pieced together notes. He was admittedly no lyrical guru like people want to memorialize him with.

Though... Stipe might be right: The best thing Gen X could do was piece together random thoughts without any meaning! Though, since Stipe's lyrics are often nonsensical--but carefully thought-out--he may have been projecting. Oh, and Stipe and Cobain were both great at making it sound wordless.

Nevertheless, Cobain's random notes are pieced together well to match the emotion presented by the chord progressions: Angry nonsense. And I love it. I can't write like that anymore. After playing for a few minutes, and inevitably improvising with a key in mind, I'm stuck into writing sensible chord progressions.

• Members

Peter Buck. Thank you. Maybe he didn't do anything that was innovative to anyone here, but playing all those arpeggios and open chords was a great learning tool.

And I got the clue from the Edge that I could scoot any chord up the neck, cut out the open strings, and have a chord voicing up there. This made me stand out from all the kids playing powerchords on the lower strings or playing open chords. It also made me appreciate how helpful it can be to leave open space for the bass.

I learned the blues from Jimi Hendrix and SRV.

My favorite blues spinoff--with a a grindy tone I love--is Jeff Beck.

But my tone muse is EVH. Even though I'd never play that kind of music in a band, trying to get that sound taught me about Marshall amps and convinced me that a huge part of tone truly truly is in the fingers. Pluck hard my friends. Pluck hard.

Also: High school jazz band leader. And I wasn't even on guitar. I was playing bass, but he constantly stopped the songs and gave me the evil eye if I was falling behind or overcompensating and moving too fast. I had already had a good natural sense of tempo, but he forced me to experience what 'tightness' really means, and I still play rhythm guitar with that in mind. I also search for drummers with that in mind; it's not an easy search.

• Moderators

After playing for a few minutes, and inevitably improvising with a key in mind, I'm stuck into writing sensible chord progressions.

I have the same problem. This is why, after learning theory thoroughly, one must forget it just as thoroughly, and just play ;)

• Moderators

Wah Wah Watson

I can't believe I left off Wah Wah! I should also probably mention Fuze, who showed me where Coltrane, McLaughlin, EVH and Freddie Stone all intersect ;)

This was possible the greatest concert I've ever seen, and I've seen many...

Wah Wah's "guitar face"... or maybe "guitar head" ... is hilarious :lol:

• Members
I was playing bass, but he constantly stopped the songs and gave me the evil eye if I was falling behind or overcompensating and moving too fast. I had already had a good natural sense of tempo, but he forced me to experience what 'tightness' really means, and I still play rhythm guitar with that in mind. I also search for drummers with that in mind; it's not an easy search.

While listening to music I used to jump A LOT of rope. I would click the rope on the floor to the backbeat of the snare. Eventually. after fronting and backing the beat I could front one click and back the next !! ) I felt I had pretty good rhythm/ear/hand/eye/feet coordination.

But after a prolonged period of programming and playing along with a drum machine there were a few times I was aghast going back and playing with a live drummer and I could literally be torn with the smallest deviation of tempo !! ) wtF ?? )

it was like I was back to square 1 and tripping on the rope on the first day !! )

I laughed and had a few beers !! ) :eatdrink004:

This is why, after learning theory thoroughly, one must forget it just as thoroughly, and just play ;)

and the fixt !! )

This is why, after learning ANYTHING thoroughly, one must forget it just as thoroughly, and just play ;)

:)

• Members

Here's a partial list of guitarists that influenced and/or continue to influence me. No particular order.

My Dad

John Lennon

Joe Pass

John Williams

Tony Iommi

Peter Buck

Dave Davies

Bert Jansch

Bob Dylan

Jimmy Page

Jimi Hendrix

Peter Green

David Gilmour

Django Reinhardt

• Members

I agree. I couldn't appreciate Nirvana when they came out, whatsoever - but when I hear it now I can appreciate the songwriting.

more great songs were first played on Hank Williams' guitar than any other instrument in the known history of man !! )

Archived