Who`s your biggest, we`ll go with guitar, influences?

redEL34

• Members
james Gurley

george harrison

eric clapton

Jan savage

joe walsh

robby kriegar

frank zappa

al jardine & carl wilson

terry kath

mike bloomfield

steven stills

robbin ford

jeff beck

Bill Connors

to name a few

I also like Robben Ford, a blues player with a jazz vocabulary, and Kenny Burrell, a jazz player with a blues feel - both of whom seem headed toward the same place which is where I would like to get to with my playing.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
while i am a fan of the Allman brothers i don't consider Duane or Dickie an influence.

Same. I think Duane was nothing short of astounding, but Dickie? He's more of a "what not to do" influence - patternistic, repetitive playing.

Its funny, cause I've done a lot of work with Dickie's son Duane Betts (who is a much better player than his dad), and I always have to remember to bite my tongue when it comes to Dad's playing :lol:

• Members

I always figured repetition was the point. That's the only explanation I can see for why anyone would hail 'Freebird' or 'Hotel California' as incredible guitar feats in the following years....

Well, I like the light-hearted repetitive guitars heard on 'Jessica' and 'Ramblin Man' pretty much just for the tone--smooth as butter.

• Members

For me, George Harrison was more than just a guitar guru.

When the lads split up, I was hungry for all things Beatle so I bought his album 'All Things Must Pass'. The songs had a profound philosophical and spiritual impact on me that changed the way I see myself and my place in the world.

• Moderators

To me this is the best solo Dickie ever committed to tape. And yet, he finishes and Duane comes in and its like another dimension just opened up - in phrasing, in tone, harmonically... everything. Its the difference between good and great. And Duane isn't playing slide, so you can compare apples to apples ;)

Dickie @ 2.16, Duane @ 2:56

I've heard this a million times and still right when Duane comes in I find myself holding my breath.

• Members
To me this is the best solo Dickie ever committed to tape. And yet, he finishes and Duane comes in and its like another dimension just opened up - in phrasing, in tone, harmonically... everything. Its the difference between good and great. And Duane isn't playing slide, so you can compare apples to apples ;)

I've heard this a million times and still right when Duane comes in I find myself holding my breath.

Ah, I see what you mean. I've honestly never listened to this older stuff of theirs, but yes, sounds like Bettes is not a standout improviser.

I just remember learning Rambling Man and Jessica from my youth, because they were two important examples of how a MAJOR pentatonic scale could be used.... It was just a few months after I started practicing 'lead guitar' with my teacher, which just meant improving with the minor pentatonic. Long before I had any concept of actually following a chord progression during a solo.

• Members

This is usually our kick-off song (starting with 'Don't Want You No More') when we gig. It squeezes the audience like they're oranges being juiced. I'm lucky enough to play with two phenomenal guitarists who bring something different to every song each and every night.

• Members

Right now this young fella, Guthrie Trapp, is having a big influence on my guitar playing. When I first heard him it was like a cross between Vince Gill and Jimi Hendrix.

I strongly recommend his album 'Pick Peace' where you can hear a lot of influences blending together to help form his own apprach to the instument.

[video=youtube_share;S-eQln1Io60]

[video=youtube_share;ct4QOUnMmjA]

• Members

One thing that sucks about guitar, correct me if I`m wrong, is that nobody is innovative, and nobody has been for a long time. The only person I can think of, well a couple people, is Kurt Cobain for being purposely sloppy, when you can hear a great player under the surface. That, and even though it`s 6 string bass instead of an octave up, Les Claypool. Like it or not, one of a kind.

• Members

For me, it's not so much about being innovative as it is about being expressive.

One of the things I love about BB King is how he could express so much with such few notes and/or tricks.

Eric Clapton's playing used to send shivers up my back while he was copying BB, Albert and Freddie. It seemed like the notes were acting as a carrier for something else at an emotional level. Those of us who get the emotion understand the concept of 'Clapton Is God' while those who don't, find his playing 'boring'.

• Moderators
One thing that sucks about guitar, correct me if I`m wrong, is that nobody is innovative, and nobody has been for a long time.

Absolutely, 100% untrue.

People like Wayne Krantz, David Torn, Oz Noy, etc... are all pushing the envelope and exploring what can be done with the instrument. And then there are young cats out there like Mark Lettieri, Nir Felder, Dave Scher etc.. who are finding they're own unique voice on the instrument.

And that's just a few of the Electric cats, to name just few of the many. Then there are the Acoustic guys like Monte Montgomery, Tommy Emmanuel, Andy McKee, etc...

Guitar, like any other instrument, is merely a tool for self-expression. If you're able to find your own, unique voice, then you're innovating, on any instrument.

Listen to Oz... you can here all the pedigree in his playing, but he sounds exactly like Oz Noy, and no one else.

Or how about Dave Fiuczynski and his fretless microtonal guitar stuff? I don't particularly care for it, but its certainly new and innovative.

Dickie's solo isn't bad at all, but Duane's solo on this is just soooo sweet. :philthumb:

It looks like this has about run its course here in HCPP-land, so I may move it to one of the on-topic forums soon to let others who don't frequent the Poli forum enjoy it too. :wave:

Archived