RIP Prince

Chordite

• Moderators

I must admit to never being a huge fan, but man, that guy was probably the most accomplished musician I've ever come across, having seen interviews and reading several article sin Classic Rock and Guitarist, for me I'll measure him by what he couldn't do when it comes to playing so many instruments, matter of fact, I've probably not even heard of the instruments that guy could play.

I don't think the term, "musical genius" is quite enough.

The best tribute I've heard so far was from Bomani Jones:

• Members

Assigning a genre to Prince would be like nailing Jello to a tree.. He was amazing and a tragic loss. Sadly, according to Drudge, it's looking like an OD. When are these guys going to learn that drug use NEVER has a happy ending? You might be a God on Earth, but you still walk around in a biological prison that can and will cease to exist if you pump it full of that crap.

^ no disrespect... but what "genre" are you referring to?.... rock?... jazz?... funk?... blues?.... soul?.... classical?.... gospel?.... r&b?... pop?

Like Brother Ray, Prince had a way of taking the traditional hard and fast genre boundaries and not just freely crossing them whenever it suited him, but smashing them and making them totally irrelevant.

Archived