Request: please stop auto-censoring our posts

niceguy

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always been in favor of allowing the moderators and members of each forum community to make the decision on whether or not that individual HC forum would be strictly on-topic, or allow off-topic discussions as long as they don't violate the site rules. IOW, please don't start OT-threads about the intimate details about your sex life, but if the mods and the majority of the forum members are cool with it, I have no problem with occasional OT threads as long as they don't overwhelm the forum and outnumber the on-topic threads.

If you want to have a discussion about music that inspires you, that's something I would consider to be ON-topic, anywhere on HC. After all, these are music forums and HC is a music-related site. :)

• Members

Actually yes, those both sound like cool vintage guitars, but this isn't interesting without pics!

D

I said guitar not "guitars" and a MIM Tele isn't a vintage guitar, it's a great guitar for what I use it for which is playing out with it without having to worry about it getting stolen.

• Members

I said guitar not "guitars" and a MIM Tele isn't a vintage guitar, it's a great guitar for what I use it for which is playing out with it without having to worry about it getting stolen.

That is what I get for reading too fast. I saw 65 Fender - knew the MIM was a reissue (however). Thx. D

• Members

As far as vintage guitars go I've got four:

1976 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe strung with GHS 011-53 Boomers

1982 Fender 57 RI strat strung with GHS 011-58 strings

1967 Harmony Rocket strung with D'addardio 12-56 flatwounds with stock DeArmond pickups

1958 Harmony Roy Smeck archtop with an early 50's stock Gibson P-80 pickup also strung with flatwounds

actually I've got six, I forgot about a 1965 Stella acoustic and a 1952 Dwight lap steel.

Regarding your "HC has chosen a different species, target audience now seems to be the under 17 crowd and the new to music peeps" comment, I'd just like to point out that they are not exclusively our chosen "target audience." Our target audience is ALL musicians, regardless of age. We don't want to exclude anyone, including younger readers who might not be allowed to use this site if it's full of profanity, etc. :wave:

The second I see a flag report on spam, I delete it and ban the spammer. We can't be everywhere on the site at once, so we rely on the help of the community to let us know when they spot spam - and when you folks flag the spam as soon as you see it, it helps us remove it faster than when you don't flag it. :)

• Members

I am sure you do phil, as does ratty. But as he says hes not on here full time , hes got a life outside HC. Uk time they can stick for an annoying period of time. Ratty needs help or backup in our time zone. I would be happy to help if required.

• Members
As far as vintage guitars go I've got four:

1976 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe strung with GHS 011-53 Boomers

1982 Fender 57 RI strat strung with GHS 011-58 strings

1967 Harmony Rocket strung with D'addardio 12-56 flatwounds with stock DeArmond pickups

1958 Harmony Roy Smeck archtop with an early 50's stock Gibson P-80 pickup also strung with flatwounds

actually I've got six, I forgot about a 1965 Stella acoustic and a 1952 Dwight lap steel.

Alright...well here we go! I also have an old Harmony. It seems like a very rare piece. Inside stamps B72* and Made In USA! I did some mods to it....it's been with me for almost 30 years. Thinking of telling my wife to put it in my casket...or oven? LOL.

harmony002small.jpg?1418485833167

My buddy lost the original bridge pup. angry02 That's a JB. TOM bridge rests on a floating wood piece. "New" vintage tuners. My baby.

Also...our black cat is named "Stella". What a co inkydink!

SO we have some things in common. Not a lot of us old Harmony owners around. I think that's cool. You seem like an alright fella...but angry.

• Members

Dew Knot Humps:

We would be foolish not to acknowledge the sins of the past, but there really is no point in continuing to pour salt in that wound. Even the worst restaurants have come under new management and become "THE" place to go in town. And hey, You are here as proof positive that people will come back ...

New management doesn't always help. A sign that the forum hasn't been fixed at the most fundamental level is that Sean felt OK about locking the Scott Stapp thread. His reasons were very good and understandable, but run entirely counter to the philosophy that made musicians want to come and be part of the forum. Nothing against Sean at all and he's doing his job conscientiously, but this would have been pretty much unthinkable in the time when the forum grew, and is a reason why many active musicians will not be back - a kind of Born To Be Mild philosophy.

To use your restaurant analogy, the Big Bang Burger Bar as we knew it fell prey to macdonalds. Now Burger King have taken over, and while it doesn't taste as bad, it's still a big corporate burger.

And TBH I'm asking myself why I keep coming back now.

• Members
Just a couple of points.

Visits are UP although post level is abysmal. The advertisers are only interested in visits so whatever the powers say. They are happy with the way its going. Visits = revenue.

Most of the successful threads I can remember would not be allowed here either due to subject or content. My '' johnny marr fixed the jaguar'' springs to mind, got lively but no one got hurt. Would not stand a chance today.

Likewise my ''Sex pistols influenced todays rock more than the Beatles did.'' A good verbal scrap that just could not happen now.

yup, forum posts are very bland and mainstream, not much discussion

and if you state that visits are up, care to name some numbers ?

I was watching a fuzz documentary a couple of days ago and some suit from HC came on and said (it was 2007) HC has 2 million unique visitors every month, now it's about 120thousand a month, most pageviews are coming out of India, about 25% ...

indeed, even if visitors are up -would be nice if the vB5 who's online counter got fixed btw- this has no real influence on post level

• Members

my $.02 worth.

I don't object to the swear filter. one can easily make the same point without swears.

the reason I have stopped looking at HC on a regular basis is the homogenization.

everything must be on-topic about gear. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

the Bass Forum used to be described as a pub inhabited by bassists. posting was raucous and riotous and frequently about bass, but just as frequently about everything and anything else.

with the new white-bread posting, you'll never again see a thread explode to 500 posts in a few hours, or a thread with 1000s of views living on the front page for weeks.

using the restaurant analogy - I don't eat in an empty restaurant.

there's other places to go.

• Members

yup, forum posts are very bland and mainstream, not much discussion

and if you state that visits are up, care to name some numbers ?

I was watching a fuzz documentary a couple of days ago and some suit from HC came on and said (it was 2007) HC has 2 million unique visitors every month, now it's about 120thousand a month, most pageviews are coming out of India, about 25% ...

indeed, even if visitors are up -would be nice if the vB5 who's online counter got fixed btw- this has no real influence on post level

I got no traffic figures. Just going on Denys say so that they are up.

• Members

I think the fact that we have this thread...and 10 pages...is encouraging.

Also note that not ALL off topic threads are not allowed. Of course piping hot farts and what to do with your ex girlfriend fell prey. The Stapp thread was I think a personal reflexive action that was almost reconsidered.

I am not going to intentionally try the patience of the mods...but I may test the waters a bit. :philbeer::staticphil:

• Members

"My humblest apologies for not coming to the inordinately high standards of those who complain about pretty much anything but aren't prepared to be part of the solution. It must be hard for you."

Please reread the above. That's incredibly defensive and sarcastic. I will suggest to you that on topic critiques of your modding are, in fact, attempts at helping to improve things. Because it's not as if you turn over the controls to others - so, you get feedback. Not all of it will be positive.

People who are not capable of accepting feedback are not 'right,' they are 'uncoachable.'

Being not just hostile but disrespectful to anything other than "hey, you're doing a GREAT job" just seems small minded, and at another time (2011) to have been colossally disrespectful to peoples' time.

An AP story is a story run by the Associated Press - which is basically the G rating for news items.

Curtailing profanity doesn't bother me, but regulating opinion does.

"you let your personal ideals/morals/experiences rule the situation, or at least have a very large say in the matter, which I think is a bad policy." This.

"A sign that the forum hasn't been fixed at the most fundamental level is that Sean felt OK about locking the Scott Stapp thread. His reasons were very good and understandable, but run entirely counter to the philosophy that made musicians want to come and be part of the forum. " And this.

And this times a million: "the homogenization." The people who make decisions here not only feel comfortable as arbiters of decency, but apparently are not even able to reflect upon and understand why that might not be good.

And let's STOP with the analogies. This is NOT a restaurant, nor anything other than an internet forum. There are enough of them around that analogies are not necessary.

• Members

I posted on this forum years ago but left and forgot my account information because of the relatively small number of people who seemed to actually talk about anything musicianship related. It was primarily filled with "forum rebels" -- midlife crisis victims hammering their fringe political views and vulgar toilet humor into every post.

What am I walking into here? Is this the end of an era on HC?

All of the ham-fisted man-children in stained Jimi Hendrix T-shirts who think typing about peepees and caca on the internet is the height of "rock 'n' roll rebellion" are going to follow the rest of their kind over to democratundeground?

God forbid you're replaced by people who have social lives off of the internet and actually come here for information.

• Members

I get the reasoning for the big changes. OTOH people don't like change when it comes down to it. When you have a site that let profanity and certain images slide for as long as they did, it's not hard to forecast pushback.

It's kind of like MS and Windows 8. You have many not even looking at the product because of what they heard of read. When it comes down to actually using the product, things are different, but in a way more productive. This site is more productive with less babble. There are areas for OT discussion and there are other forums to use profanity.

I really is a shame more cannot get past the changes made to improve the quality of the site.

Even though many moved to greener pastures as they say, I think a lot must have realized the countless hours they spent just basically non productive time. The things they went on about with some computer nerds with nothing better to do....... well, most of that was the old HC forums. I think many of us including myself realized they can spend their time more wisely. Time with family, time actually playing their instruments instead of babbling about how so many that are playing for a living must suck at music and life. lol

The cleaner side of HC had to happen. What also happened was an awakening I think, since many that frequented these forums are not really doing much at other forums of greener pastures. Some regulars yes, but not the numbers people would like you to believe. They have traffic yes, but it's mostly the same 40-50 making most of the topics. Not anything at all what HC was before, so they must be challenged by teh same things happening here.

• Moderators
I think the fact that we have this thread...and 10 pages...is encouraging.

Also note that not ALL off topic threads are not allowed. Of course piping hot farts and what to do with your ex girlfriend fell prey. The Stapp thread was I think a personal reflexive action that was almost reconsidered.

My reaction to the Stapp thread will only have been understood by other addicts, so those who don't understand are blessed indeed.

I'd sooner not react like that, but I'll always be an addict and attempt to protect, rightly or wrongly other addicts until they get their **************** together.

I'm happy with my own inventory, i asked the OP if he wished it unlocked, I received no answer.

It contributed in no way to the primary purpose of this forum.

Archived