Request: please stop auto-censoring our posts

niceguy

• Members

Lol, really, you are telling me how this place works? I'm not sure if they ever got the search function fixed, but if so, feel free to search the knowledge I've shared, my guitars I've shared, reviews I've shared and even the raffles I facilitated.

I didn't mean to hurt anyone's sensitive feelings by stating that this is still not close to what this place used to offer. It was not meant to put anyone down who likes the way things are now. It was more meant as a statement to the ones that f'ck'd it up.

With the environment here as it is now, I doubt this could ever get back to a similar vibrant guitar community that it once was.

Yes...I really am. You think you can just bounce in, have a look every couple months....and then complain?

I can only go by what you just said "I stop in every few months to a year to see if things have improved after the fallout. Nope." If you've actually posted and tried to improve things...well I apologize.

Indeed...searching is hard to do. Things may not always be what they seem. If the search function worked...you'd find "SteveDK" a forum member since before 2000. Though various lost passwords and forum f ups, I've changed my user name a couple times. IMO...this isn't a place to "check in every few months a year". There's new people here....you can start discussions that engage the forum and build new relationships. The place needs people like you, but it takes more than just a couple lurkings a year.

Yes...I am telling you how this place works...seems like you don't know or have forgotten, or perhaps don't really care?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, lighten up. In fact, yeah, I can "bounce in" anytime I want and make a comment, that is "how this works." Complain? I just said the site hadn't improved. The site gives me errors on every computer I have used, be it my Mac, PC, or at work. You are the one that has brought the hostile complaining. It would seem that it is you that has forgotten how this place works. You are right though, I really don't care anymore. I learned a lot while spending years on this forum and made some good deals and friends. The site is lacking in all now, except for some familiar faces that said hello. And pay attention, I said LACKING, not without. There are some fine people still here.

I wrote what I did to let the powers of the site see (not that they care) that old regulars still check in to see if things have improved. You even typed in your reply that you have a new name because of "forum f ups." I didn't mess this forum up. I was just one of MANY others that left because we invested our time being a part of building a guitar community that was basically torn down. I feel the owners should have created another forum that fit their new ideas and allowed this one to continue to grow as it had. But that is an old argument. Lol, and I have quit buying as much gear as I did when I spent so much time here, which is a good thing, but contrary to the needs of the owners. There are all kinds of music. All kinds of people. All kinds of guitars. All these differences don't fit a single mold and obviously don't work well on a forum with narrow tolerances. You say contribute, share? Just look how you reacted because you didn't like my opinion. Just imagine how upset you might get if I were to say that I like tube amps AND modeling amps. That of my two favorite guitars one has a round head stock and the other has a pointy one.

• Members

seven58.

My experience here is that after posting for 2 years they have still never paid me. It's a hiding to nothing.

My hopes of breaking into guitar journalism with good posts using long words to sound knowledgeable have been dashed :(

I don't know what it used to be like "in the old days" but today the career prospects suck.

Chordite

• Members
seven58.

My experience here is that after posting for 2 years they have still never paid me. It's a hiding to nothing.

My hopes of breaking into guitar journalism with good posts using long words to sound knowledgeable have been dashed :(

I don't know what it used to be like "in the old days" but today the career prospects suck.

Chordite

Get off my lawn!

• Members

Yes...I really am. You think you can just bounce in, have a look every couple months....and then complain?

I can only go by what you just said "I stop in every few months to a year to see if things have improved after the fallout. Nope." If you've actually posted and tried to improve things...well I apologize.

Indeed...searching is hard to do. Things may not always be what they seem. If the search function worked...you'd find "SteveDK" a forum member since before 2000. Though various lost passwords and forum f ups, I've changed my user name a couple times. IMO...this isn't a place to "check in every few months a year". There's new people here....you can start discussions that engage the forum and build new relationships. The place needs people like you, but it takes more than just a couple lurkings a year.

Yes...I am telling you how this place works...seems like you don't know or have forgotten, or perhaps don't really care?

dude... a lot of people are still pissed at what happened to this place... they have a right to say what they want about it

• Members

dude... a lot of people are still pissed at what happened to this place... they have a right to say what they want about it

I understand that. However...I STILL contend that if you don;t contribute, don't complain that "nothings changed". Kinda like complaining about politicians when you don't vote. Go vote...or better yet...politic! Make it better!

I don't have any error message issues, but I contend that this site is what WE make it. If you find it boring or whatever....you can change it.

Or...you can have a look once a year and complain that it doesnt change.

• Members

Again - the closing of the Scott Stapp thread. "This could go wrong." Pre-emptive thought on our behalf ... that's exactly what kills this place.

I'm not saying to permit profanity, nor that incivility or worse should go unabated. I am saying that touch could get a good bit lighter, to the benefit of the forum.

• Members

As I have said before the swearing issue is one of manners, an international (yes it is) forum with women and kids from different cultures. keep it civil.

What I have trouble with is when billybilly lets his heart out we sympathise because we are a community and billy is part of it then along comes a message from above "can we get back to guitars please".

We are a community, we are not writing the "Oxford encyclopedia of guitars", and we are not all in Bain capital mode.

• Members
Again - the closing of the Scott Stapp thread. "This could go wrong." Pre-emptive thought on our behalf ... that's exactly what kills this place.

I'm not saying to permit profanity, nor that incivility or worse should go unabated. I am saying that touch could get a good bit lighter, to the benefit of the forum.

What happened in the "Scott Stapp" thread?

• Members

What happened in the "Scott Stapp" thread?

WKRWHATEVER started it highlighting an article and video showing his financial problems.

The tone was a bit inflammatory, or could be viewed as.

BEFORE anybody responded it got shut down because it had the potential to go wrong. Or words like it.

while spam can sit here for hours.

• Members
As I have said before the swearing issue is one of manners, an international (yes it is) forum with women and kids from different cultures. keep it civil.

What I have trouble with is when billybilly lets his heart out we sympathise because we are a community and billy is part of it then along comes a message from above "can we get back to guitars please".

We are a community, we are not writing the "Oxford encyclopedia of guitars", and we are not all in Bain capital mode.

In addition our mod is one of our best swearers.

Treating everyone like 12 year olds will not build the forum again. It will certainly put off any 12 year olds.

• Members

The idea that you close a thread because you are concerned about "something could go wrong" ... should really be a red flag.

You don't proactively act out of fear - regarding anything. As for what 'could go wrong' - one wonders what the fear is about discussing a story that has to do with a well known rock musician that was reported in the world press.

When you are fearful of an AP Story, you've really jumped the shark.

• Members

I've been sued, my late step dad went to Harvard Law (and we had dinner table convo every night for years), and I used to work at a major label and for a couple of fairly sizable indies. I'm familiar.

If you're concerned about a cease and desist letter, say so. OTOH, as a person who spent some quality time on the old Velvet Rope forum watching the likes of Landau and Courtney Love toss their legal teams at just about any and everything, I can easily attest that opinions on the internet are protected speech.

And raising what I consider to be the extraordinarily improbable specter of receiving a C&D letter (in which case you'd only have to delete a thread) should take a back seat to letting people air their thoughts.

It's NOT profanity, it's NOT 'being smart about legal things.' It's repressive. That is my opinion, and the lack of forthright communication ("this is not censorship" ... really?!?) makes it worse. The 'moderation' here is not as well done as is done almost everywhere else. Honestly, if I did not really find the various contributors so terrific, I'd have tuned out long ago. And look at how many posts there are and aren't; it's clear that I'm only verbalizing what so many others feel.

The citing of lurker traffic figures, of past software woes seems a means of denying that the atmosphere of restrictive oversight is a turnoff. Unfortunately, attempts to have a dialog about that issue have proven frustrating.

Archived