Request: please stop auto-censoring our posts

niceguy

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And likewise Sean.

A question I've been asking myself after my last post here is whether I'd really want the old HC that was so popular to return, and I'm not at all sure I would. Frankly, it was often brutal, with some people being pushed into total melt-down and all kinds of things. I still believe that I'm correct, and HC will never recover to the 'glory days' without a return to that style, but I'm not sure that, as someone who has grown and changed, I would be at all happy being part of that any more. It's easy to view the old HC through rose-tinted spectacles, but if it really did return I'm not at all sure I could be a part now and keep a good conscience.

• Moderators

That pretty much mirrors my own feelings Toni, sorta "it was good while it lasted", but it was often quite brutal, offensive and I think infringed people's dignity, and I'm not not sure if I personally had an effect on some peoples psyche. I've found that although being a {censored} is fun, it's not at all nice, charitable or clever.

• Members

Wow Ancient- that is a great point! Very well said.

I Was mostly on Amp Forum since before 2000. I certainly had my share of...er meltdowns, as I was part of it, but never felt comfortable in the Kool Kids Klub. My online style, or persona if you will, maybe gets perceived differently than I intend.

Here, I feel comfortable, because no one pushes, tests or traps me. If I make a misstep- such as the RP150 thread, it's easier to correct without getting pummeled (too hard: )

Anyway...I really appreciate what you wrote. Very much food for thought!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

My reaction to the Stapp thread will only have been understood by other addicts, so those who don't understand are blessed indeed.

I'd sooner not react like that, but I'll always be an addict and attempt to protect, rightly or wrongly other addicts until they get their **************** together.

I'm happy with my own inventory, i asked the OP if he wished it unlocked, I received no answer.

It contributed in no way to the primary purpose of this forum.

Sorry for the slow response. I had to dig around to even find what the PM was about. Just so everyone knows, I couldn't find the original thread that was locked so I'm not sure why it was locked or what may have been in it.

I think it was about a current event news piece about someone from the Creed band, and how I thought he needs to turn himself around. I thought that was relative to musicians in the "here and now" while those performers are still around to be saved. So many close their eyes and wait for others to die before they speak up. If it had been a piece on Hendrix, or Morrison from 50 years ago, I doubt it would have appeared on the radar screen.

In hind sight it is a touchy subject. I been around so many just like him during my 50 years as a pro musician. I was lucky enough to steer away from it myself when I saw myself being dragged into it so I can see it happening to others clear as day. My advise was hard because it angers me so may great musicians are lost by that same kind of behavior and the pattern is unmistakable. Its just the individuals in those situations don't see themselves in that patterns and often times fail to be strong ones survive that battle and live to tell the tales and advise others.

I do see the topic as highly relevant especially to the music business, but I can see it being risky on a forum like this because it deals with personal demons many may still be carrying around or attempting to deal with on a daily basis as as Ratae mentions.

I apologize if anyone felt it to be offensive. Hard love can easily be misunderstood as being unsympathetic but I assure you, those who been around the block understand why I chose to be hard instead of expressing pity and being overly forgiving to their situations. I always found women to be better at that so I'll stick with giving him a friendly hand up as a fellow musician when he's ready for it.

I don't have a problem with Ratae closing the thread and it can remained closed as far as I'm concerned. Rebellion is rock and roll but I don't see closing that post as censorship, just a bad choice of topics on my part. This is a privately owned forum and from what I've seen in the past 20 years visiting here, the moderators do a fine job moderating it properly.

:staticphil:

• Members

I also wanted to point out:

Harmony Central's Missions statement is helping people make better music. Due to the language on the site, we found that we were banned from most institutions of learning and at all libraries. Additionally, Google was limiting where we were being surfaced in searches because of language and images of women. These penalties were not allowing us to be true to our mission statement nor to the thousands of learning musicians that wished to participate here. Sometimes you have to trend towards the greater good.

D

• Members

The greater good? Were there really thousands of young musicians clambering for access to HC from school or their local library? If you really wanted to cater to those people, you should have made this site mobile friendly about 5 years ago. Every forum on the web that I've visited has you beat in this regard, and just about every 15 year old kid I know has an iPhone. Again, I've no problem with the censorship in this case, else I wouldn't be posting. But if you wanted this to be a place for people to learn, you shouldn't have driven off most of the people who were able to teach. I would think that your advertisers/corporate overlords would want you to appeal to the demographic with some disposable income as well.

• Members

No doubt speakerjones. We are working on enhancing the mobile technology, but had to stabilize the platform for us guys that still like to use a desk top first. Many code rolls went out in the last two weeks for mobile. We are still battling some frustrating iPad and Android bugs, but working towards the end of the tunnel.

You have to admit, what we have now, beats the previous platform that looked like a UPS forum (brown and orange ... what?).

We were constantly e-mailed from users who would be able to participate in HC when at home visiting parents, but not while at college due to restricted access due to the aforementioned limitations. Again, this is about working towards making HC a better place for everyone. (disposable income folks as well)

And you get no argument from me ...

• Members

Speakerjones - nailed it. I haven't actively posted in a long time until recently, though I did troll from time to time. The overall look and feel just.….sucked. About a week ago, I noticed this change and thought to give it a whirl again. Maybe a handful of other former forumites will as well and part of the forum can be rebuilt. But I honestly feel that so many were lost during the first migration (I missed the UPS one) that the once great forum will be a place of - to quote knotty - grey comments. Noone benefits from mostly grey comments, especially beginners and students. Some gear just sucks, some people may like it, but others may think it sucks. I know I want to know the bad points before I buy something. Like this - I buy Nothing from the semi local GC. Their equipment gets abused by plinkers who pull the knobs off the amps and I don't want a used new guitar/amp. I won't even buy picks there anymore after grabbing what felt like 10, placing them on the counter only to see that half were used to the point of wear.

The forum could probably come back, there are still some really cool people on it, so hopefully Mr. Jarrett, you can find some middle ground on the Disney version versus usable version, and hopefully get a fully functioning mobile version out.

So - to that end - Pointy guitars sound better. Their points allow for tonal resonance and a slight reverberation that can be picked up by the pickups resulting in a better, fuller sounding guitar. Long points increase the dynamics of the high end, while shorter points increase the bottom end. Round guitars attempt to 'blend' the two in a curve, increasing mid range, resulting in 'mud'. :thu:

• Members

Where are these thousands of people? They are not posting.

You cant see boobs on a library or educational computer? Really? Someone perfected a firewall and didnt tell us?

I understand what you are trying to do, but I dont think guitar playing teenagers want grey and dry.

• Members

The forum could probably come back, there are still some really cool people on it, so hopefully Mr. Jarrett, you can find some middle ground on the Disney version versus usable version, and hopefully get a fully functioning mobile version out.

Ha, No "Mr" needed. Look, we are all musician's as well (our team, ... even including the developers at Nucleus Creative ... who also own Groove Zoo). We aren't prudes and we aren't heavy handed either. The talk doesn't have to be church worthy, but we do have to consider that someone's 6 year old might be looking over their shoulder while they are researching the best strings to use on a 12 string guitar.

Anyway, onward and upward and back to guitar talk!

Thanks

D

Archived