Request: please stop auto-censoring our posts

niceguy

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thank Terry D for letting me back on with my "proper" community "handle" after the debacle...Hey, I like Epiphone guitars, Does that make me a "bad person" ? lol I dig HC too. Was intereresting to see all the gyrations it has gone through to get this far. Users are like waves, and the tide...they flow and ebb...like rippling waves...come and go....I've always liked HC, and wish you could access all the cool tabulature and chords for the tunes, like back in the day. Times, like the tide, change.

• Members
Thank Terry D for letting me back on with my "proper" community "handle" after the debacle...Hey, I like Epiphone guitars, Does that make me a "bad person" ? lol I dig HC too. Was intereresting to see all the gyrations it has gone through to get this far. Users are like waves, and the tide...they flow and ebb...like rippling waves...come and go....I've always liked HC, and wish you could access all the cool tabulature and chords for the tunes, like back in the day. Times, like the tide, change.

Liking Epiphone doesn't make you a bad guy at all. Your sig...on the other hand...makes you a terrible awful hateful person.

• Members

Knotty, if you flag the spam, it'll get dealt with, I don't sit here 24 hours a day.

As I've said before I originally offered my services because of shed loads of kitchen spam originating in the UK, while US mods were still slumbering.

My humble apologies if I don't catch every piece of spam, but as you can see from the forum list, I'm not even listed as a Mod, while only Fretsy covers any other stuff and he's busy like most of us are trying to keep our financial asses above water.

I don't get paid for doing this, I get nothing.

Trawl back through my threads and you'll see I'm not averse to chicanery, but you'll see that a high proporytion of my contributions have been about buyingm selling, playing, modding, assembling, fixing or building electric guitars...........and that my dear chap is what this forum is for.

And for the record, I have no problem with what some call profane language, foul mouthedness is in my DNA.

I was pssing by when I heard voices and stuck my head round the door to see what the fuss was about.

I remember all that threadery and good guitar building and charitable deeds.

I must try to drop in more often.

Nurse! Nurse! Knotty's out of bed again.

• Members

Knotty: I honestly think the traffic dropped because we went through two versions of platforms that, well *******ed. :)

But don't forget, we also during this time had the advent of Facebook which replaced and/or caused a great lull in forum participation. Many are now "over" Facebook or other social media as they realize that a primary objective is to sell ads and target your personal information (ever notice that you are served up ads about the things you recently visited online!) :angry21:

We have really been working hard to restore the community user experience back to the pre 2010 era. (sans the language).

In another post I explained it like this:

Harmony Central was this tremendous town. The town government lost focus so the streets didn't get cleaned, the water wasn't safe to drink and the infrastructure was tattered. The government finally realized that they didn't completely understand the town, so they stepped aside from making the core decisions regarding your experience here, and they late concerned and caring citizens take over the responsibility to restoring the town back to being a placed that was great to live in. We are working on it and slowly but surely if you have hung with us since the new launch in April 14' you've seen things get cleaned, painted, tidied-up and improved. Now, the citizens just need to start believing in the town again and start knowing that it is safe to come back in and participate.

Maybe a corny way of explaining it, but my best shot ...

D

In 2008 Facebook had over 100 million users, in 2013 that number was up to 1.2 billion so the "decline" of Facebook had nothing to do with the utter decline of Harmony Central. Sure the software "upgrades" had a lot to do with it but that {censored} went on for years so if anybody halfway competent was implementing those changes they would have noticed early on and fixed the problem. That didn't happen. How anybody tasked with improving the forum not notice the huge drop in traffic due to software issues and not notice ad revenues dropping like a hot rock (and let's face it, Harmony Central is in business partly to drive traffic which in turn increases ad revenues to say otherwise would be pure bull{censored}.)

Harmony Central used to be filled with real characters, some weirdos, some loud mouths, some of everything actually but the main thing it was fun and quite entertaining. Nobody gave a {censored} about cursing or off-topic {censored} because quite frankly what else would you expect from a bunch of musicians. How many musicians rehearsing at their house tell the band "no cursing guys, my wife, kids, mother pastor and rabbi are upstairs"?

As far as "backstage talk" goes I used to hear way more crazier {censored} in any backstage area I've ever been in and I've been in a lot. Harmony Central used to be a great place where else could you read about guys tuning their pianos to open G or guys talking about shooting their neighbors dog or talking about going to Mexico to bang underage hookers or somebody calling a guys work place to rat him out about him banging hookers in Mexico or guys saying stuff like "my wife isn't your typical crack whore" or guys challenging other guys to transcribe some {censored}ty piece of music they wrote in order to prove they were a "player." Multiply that times a thousand and that's what everybody liked about this place.

Your "government" analogy was funny because I'm pretty sure most musicians don't want the government to tell them what they should {censored}ing do.

• Members
^^^^ and more proof that people used the place as a convenient facebook page instead of musician and musical resource.

Yep it was cool...but someone decided it wasn't the "mission statement" for Harmony Central. Like GAB...go build your own website!

How many times can you talk about what string gauge, picks etc you use. Guitar Jam never was solely a musician resource, there was an element of that for sure but it was a lot more than that. Bottom line is that it used to be fun and now it's not. Now it's the Harmony Central Mormon forums.

• Members

In 2008 Facebook had over 100 million users, in 2013 that number was up to 1.2 billion so the "decline" of Facebook had nothing to do with the utter decline of Harmony Central. Sure the software "upgrades" had a lot to do with it but that **************** went on for years so if anybody halfway competent was implementing those changes they would have noticed early on and fixed the problem. That didn't happen. How anybody tasked with improving the forum not notice the huge drop in traffic due to software issues and not notice ad revenues dropping like a hot rock (and let's face it, Harmony Central is in business partly to drive traffic which in turn increases ad revenues to say otherwise would be pure bull****************.)

Harmony Central used to be filled with real characters, some weirdos, some loud mouths, some of everything actually but the main thing it was fun and quite entertaining. Nobody gave a **************** about cursing or off-topic **************** because quite frankly what else would you expect from a bunch of musicians. How many musicians rehearsing at their house tell the band "no cursing guys, my wife, kids, mother pastor and rabbi are upstairs"?

As far as "backstage talk" goes I used to hear way more crazier **************** in any backstage area I've ever been in and I've been in a lot. Harmony Central used to be a great place where else could you read about guys tuning their pianos to open G or guys talking about shooting their neighbors dog or talking about going to Mexico to bang underage hookers or somebody calling a guys work place to rat him out about him banging hookers in Mexico or guys saying stuff like "my wife isn't your typical crack whore" or guys challenging other guys to transcribe some ****************ty piece of music they wrote in order to prove they were a "player." Multiply that times a thousand and that's what everybody liked about this place.

Your "government" analogy was funny because I'm pretty sure most musicians don't want the government to tell them what they should ****************ing do.

Perhaps you are a returning member and posting under a new User Name and I hope so, because 19 posts would not an "old timer" make.

I used the government analogy because there is indeed a small infrastructure and I felt it the best analogy. I could have put a band twist on it I suppose. And you are correct, the "powers that were" should have been boiled in bacon grease for allowing the place to decline, but quite honestly, it is becoming a mute point. We are indeed restoring the functionality and have now brought back all of the content that existed prior to the last two failed platforms. We are correcting the bad code that is part of the core platform software, and soon you'll be hard pressed to find anything that wouldn't point back to user error.

And as for the "Censoring" — when HC started, the internet was not in the hands of every one walking the planet, and especially those of impressionable age. And so, we must improvise, overcome and adapt, but calling this place Morman ... I hardly think so.

D

• Members

Perhaps you are a returning member and posting under a new User Name and I hope so, because 19 posts would not an "old timer" make.

I used the government analogy because there is indeed a small infrastructure and I felt it the best analogy. I could have put a band twist on it I suppose. And you are correct, the "powers that were" should have been boiled in bacon grease for allowing the place to decline, but quite honestly, it is becoming a mute point. We are indeed restoring the functionality and have now brought back all of the content that existed prior to the last two failed platforms. We are correcting the bad code that is part of the core platform software, and soon you'll be hard pressed to find anything that wouldn't point back to user error.

And as for the "Censoring" — when HC started, the internet was not in the hands of every one walking the planet, and especially those of impressionable age. And so, we must improvise, overcome and adapt, but calling this place Morman ... I hardly think so.

D

Well it's good that you are correcting the forum software but it's been at least four years since the problem first started, it shouldn't take that long for the forum to be issue free "soon."

As far as being a new member I'm not. I never achieved the glory and status associated with being the Harmony Central Post Count Leader but I've been around this forum for a long time. It isn't what it used to be and never will.

• Members

Forums are not what they used to be, but NEVER say never ... :)

In a lot of ways perception is reality and most people who used to be active here stuck with it early on in the decline but eventually said "{censored} it." Maybe it had something to do with not being able to re-register under your previous forum name. True nothing stays the same. Harmony Central didn't either but it evolved over the years and in a good way until all this started and then it just turned to {censored}. Numbers don't lie, how many former active members quit posting here? I'm guessing at least 50,000 which speaks louder than ten full Marshall stacks.

• Members

Well it's good that you are correcting the forum software but it's been at least four years since the problem first started, it shouldn't take that long for the forum to be issue free "soon."

As far as being a new member I'm not. I never achieved the glory and status associated with being the Harmony Central Post Count Leader but I've been around this forum for a long time. It isn't what it used to be and never will.

Not if you perpetuate negativity. Reap what you sow son.

• Members

Not if you perpetuate negativity. Reap what you sow son.

I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic. What I've been saying about the forum is true, it happened. It's like going to a restaurant and having an awful meal. The first thing you do is tell your friends not to go there and the second thing you do is never go there again.

• Members

I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic. What I've been saying about the forum is true, it happened. It's like going to a restaurant and having an awful meal. The first thing you do is tell your friends not to go there and the second thing you do is never go there again.

Dew Knot Humps:

We would be foolish not to acknowledge the sins of the past, but there really is no point in continuing to pour salt in that wound. Even the worst restaurants have come under new management and become "THE" place to go in town. And hey, You are here as proof positive that people will come back ...

• Members

How many times can you talk about what string gauge, picks etc you use. Guitar Jam never was solely a musician resource, there was an element of that for sure but it was a lot more than that. Bottom line is that it used to be fun and now it's not. Now it's the Harmony Central Mormon forums.

You think I haven't heard that one before? LOL...that is as old as the hills.

And, for your info, some people DO need to discuss it and we are here for THEM. If you already know EVERYTHING...well good for you! Others do not.

Us old timers will still talk about a new guitar we got, maybe how to dial in a trouble guitar- man I just replaced a Floyd Rose- learned a few new tricks there!.

Look....we all know ti's not the same as it used to be. We get it. I used to be exclusively on the amp board- but have been becoming friends with some cool peeps here. Even learning a few things along the way. So I say for people like you, CONTRIBUTE? Tell us about your rig. And yes...you may have to answer a question about using an instrument cable as speaker cable. Somebody probably did it for you, or something similar= return the favor!

• Members

CONTRIBUTE? Tell us about your rig. And yes...you may have to answer a question about using an instrument cable as speaker cable. Somebody probably did it for you, or something similar= return the favor!

At rehearsal this weekend in Chicago, IL I will be playing a MIM Fender 60's classic Tele strung with 10-53 gauge strings, a Fender heavy pick into a Nobels ODR-1 pedal and then into a 1965 Fender Princeton Reverb (a real one, not a re-issue.)

Fascinating stuff eh?

I post my opinions on multiple forums on HC, not just the Poli forum. I do post in there, but a big part of the reason (I'm definitely more interested in music than politics) is to show that I'm present and actively monitoring things. "Showing the flag" so to speak. If people see I'm checking in, they're more likely to keep the rules firmly in mind, and hopefully the way that I present my opinions serves as an example of how to civilly post what you think and feel, even on hot-button topics like religion and politics, without having to resort to breaking the forum's rules. :)

• Members

At rehearsal this weekend in Chicago, IL I will be playing a MIM Fender 60's classic Tele strung with 10-53 gauge strings, a Fender heavy pick into a Nobels ODR-1 pedal and then into a 1965 Fender Princeton Reverb (a real one, not a re-issue.)

Fascinating stuff eh?

Actually yes, those both sound like cool vintage guitars, but this isn't interesting without pics!

D

Archived