Request: please stop auto-censoring our posts

niceguy

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I must admit, the stated high percentage of lurkers and the low percentage of posters should tell them something.

Its like high footfall in a shop and no sales. There is a problem with the product.

Na, I think it comes down to internet "stranger danger" - they're just too scared out of their little wits to join in. Empty places can be pretty scary; and they mostly come at night - mostly.

25npcwideweb470x28201.jpg

• Moderators
FosseFox is a mod, no cussing, no epic pictures threads?? Yeah, I'm gonna slowly back out of this place and pretend I saw nothing

Or, even more constructive, you could step up to the plate and put yourself forward to do a bit of modding.

I make calls, I get some wrong, I get some right.

I can't please everybody all the time

My humblest apologies for not coming to the inordinately high standards of those who complain about pretty much anything but aren't prepared to be part of the solution. It must be hard for you.

I closed the Scott Stapp thread as I believe the guy may possibly have some problems in his life which I believe aren't for public consumption.

As a recovering addict, you need time to sort your {censored} out, you don't need people who know little about you speculating all kinds of press releases about what is or isn't true.

If you wish to indulge in this kind of speculation about another's life, there are forums in this place that are more appropriate.

• Members

wow, I just stopped in to see if much has change around here and it seems it hasn't. The last time I popped in Dave Arronow (spell) was trying to make suggestions to get the place back to where it was.. They were great valuable suggestions that no one took seriously. Kudos for him to try to hang in there.

I was one of those members from "back in the day". I left not because of the various shut downs from trying to go from 3.0 to beta to what ever the next tfix was... And not necessarily because of the cussing etc..... I did find the Censorship to be to much for me.

I get it its a privately owned site. That said HC has chosen a different species, target audience now seems to be the under 17 crowd and the new to music peeps. There are other sites out there and ive check into several. Still none are better than the old HC of 2000's. It moved so fast, you could post a new thread and within minutes it may be about to get set to the bottom of the page because so many others were responding to other threads or posting their own. Any givin time you could check who's online now and there would be dozens of people.

maybe one day you guys will get that type of a forum back, I hope so... I truly do not feel that facebook and other things you site have anything to do with the lack of forumites here. Sometimes its as simple as look into the mirror and be honest with what you see.

Ill stop back in several more months just to have a see.

• Members

Once again....realtree... I don't understand why you don't invest and contribute. You stop in to see what OTHER people are doing to build this back, see nothing to satisfy you, leave disappointed. Yet do nothing to help.

I must have this all wrong. I feel people like you could be the key. You have a lot of experience, have a lot to offer EVERYONE. Yet for reasons I can't grasp, chose not make much of an attempt (if any at all) to help make it special again. Those "good old days" were good because people joined in CONTRIBUTED! And it wasn't always thousands of posts per second. I remember quite a few late nights with just a couple people- animated talks with SGT THUMP! Yeehaw.

May not be like the early 2000's *GOOD TIMES! "They" may not want this as a social instant messenger. But...It doesn't mean it can't be equal or better. Of course if we all just stand by and watch once or twice a year...

• Members
Once again....realtree... I don't understand why you don't invest and contribute. You stop in to see what OTHER people are doing to build this back, see nothing to satisfy you, leave disappointed. Yet do nothing to help.

Well stated. It's like saying you don't like peanut butter, then buttering your toast with it and walking away hungry. WTF?

• Members

I do come by occasionally lurking and will read some posts, but no its a different place. Im not sure how they have the archives set up here now but try this.... When one of the old formites come and here and states, wow has this place changed... Click on that member and see if his old posts are still on the system. I dont know if that function still exhists here but try it, click on some of the old posts and see, read some. Then click on one of the other people in that old posts and read some of thiers...

Youll probably see a tight knitt community that kidded, bashed, hugged, hated each other. Youll see some posts that had nothing to do with electric guitars and some with everything to do with electric guitars.

You may see in electric guitar forum where someone from the Acoustic Guitar formite stop by and lay down a kidding thread about electric formites and some friendly bantoring between the 2 forums.... Each forum here had a life of its own and dozens and dozens of regular followers for each forum...

There were occasions when formites would get out of control and get banned, deservingly so on most occasions... not so much on other occasions. Do a name search for Batotman and read some of his threads... He added a ton of information, regularly buying gear and writting reviews..... also regularly pissing people off... finnally get perma banned. But totally entertaining the whole way through.

I had a lot of sound engineering experience and would try to add when I could.....

Again I dont know if they wipped all the threads fron the past or not but if they are out there I'd encourage you guys to go read a bunch.

I'm sure that a bunch of you guys are great and your building your forum within the rules the powers to be will let you... just dont give up like we did.

Embrace all the formites and what they have to say, from the dimwitts to the higher engineers and alow yourselves to kid, bash, honor, respect and trash accordingly.

If a regular poster posts a thread that has nothing to do with music or electric guitars dont wipe it, read it and add to it.... Obviously he or she feels comfortable enough with you all to post about whatever topic just to get your opinion.....

ill keep lurking and thanks for your replies

• Members

Just a couple of points.

Visits are UP although post level is abysmal. The advertisers are only interested in visits so whatever the powers say. They are happy with the way its going. Visits = revenue.

Most of the successful threads I can remember would not be allowed here either due to subject or content. My '' johnny marr fixed the jaguar'' springs to mind, got lively but no one got hurt. Would not stand a chance today.

Likewise my ''Sex pistols influenced todays rock more than the Beatles did.'' A good verbal scrap that just could not happen now.

• Members

Like you said realtree....the search function is horrid. But I do recall Ratae or one mod saying "certain funsies threads will be allowed, but be creative, be respectful". I will see if I can find that.

If people are disappointed this is no longer a general social media....er medium....I get that. But we were pretty lucky to have that for free in the first place. We all know it varied between 30 and 90% of content. I don't really blame a music-themed website to want to focus on music-themed stuff. Most of them do that. Dallas Cowboys The Ranch has the same policies, on topic family friendly....most do.

So we're mad it's no longer one stop shop for any and all of our social needs. It was great while it lasted!

• Members
Like you said realtree....the search function is horrid. But I do recall Ratae or one mod saying "certain funsies threads will be allowed, but be creative, be respectful". I will see if I can find that.

If people are disappointed this is no longer a general social media....er medium....I get that. But we were pretty lucky to have that for free in the first place. We all know it varied between 30 and 90% of content. I don't really blame a music-themed website to want to focus on music-themed stuff. Most of them do that. Dallas Cowboys The Ranch has the same policies, on topic family friendly....most do.

So we're mad it's no longer one stop shop for any and all of our social needs. It was great while it lasted!

It's not the 'social medium' that's at all the issue. That wild frontier aspect has gone, and as long as it stays away so will the majority of musicians. It's in our nature not to want a 'nice, family friendly' place to meet, even though many of us are getting older & calming down.

• Members

It's not the 'social medium' that's at all the issue. That wild frontier aspect has gone, and as long as it stays away so will the majority of musicians. It's in our nature not to want a 'nice, family friendly' place to meet, even though many of us are getting older & calming down.

Exactly. Its like trying to have a polite, non violent, cage fighting forum.

• Members

I disagree. So we had "wild frontier" about .....electric guitars? Amps?

NO.

We had "wild frontier" about spicey chicken sandwiches, piping hot farts, and how to mess with your ex girl friend.

Bucksstudent, WKRP, and myself had a fairly warm "discussion" smiley-happy about Digitech RP's. Some insults did ensue, maybe not like the "wild frontier"...but it was about guitar gear. So I don;t get where you guys are saying you have to be priestly to say anything.

• Members

WKRMGP called me an as shole, and I called him a blabbering windbag.

Not very polite. {shrug}

Yes I know the thread you are talking about. If you remember WTFEGO accused me of somehow causing the row.

There are exceptions I agree, but the general ' flavour' of the board is far more sterile. There are far fewer threads that I want to get involved in. Its more like a reference book now. Where it used to be like a magazine.

• Moderators
Again - the closing of the Scott Stapp thread. "This could go wrong." Pre-emptive thought on our behalf ... that's exactly what kills this place.

I'm not saying to permit profanity, nor that incivility or worse should go unabated. I am saying that touch could get a good bit lighter, to the benefit of the forum.

If you look on Page 7, you'll see my personally influenced decision on why I closed that thread.

I'm a recovering addict, I spent 6 weeks in a "rehab centre", which is modern parlance for a psychiatric unit. I'm now a recovering addict.

When I read WRGKMC's thread, I trawled around the web to see what was going on and there's some ugly stuff happening around this situation, so in the first instance I didn't like the idea that the guy was judged for any of his behaviour as he clearly has "issues".

In the second instance, none of the discussion would have been about electric guitars.

I stand firmly by my decision, but if you feel I made a wrong call you can put your case forward and as I've said to a few people, if I find your case to be more compelling, then I'll happily reinstate the thread.

I've been around long enough to recognise threads that can lead to temp bans and perma bans, and as yet I've only temp banned one person. I'd like to keep it like that and keep this part of the forum pretty on topic, and as I've said before if a member of the forum has an OT post that is funny, interesting, educational or useful then I'm happy to let it go.

• Moderators
The idea that you close a thread because you are concerned about "something could go wrong" ... should really be a red flag.

You don't proactively act out of fear - regarding anything. As for what 'could go wrong' - one wonders what the fear is about discussing a story that has to do with a well known rock musician that was reported in the world press.

When you are fearful of an AP Story, you've really jumped the shark.

See my comment above. I don't know what an AP story is

• Moderators
As I have said before the swearing issue is one of manners, an international (yes it is) forum with women and kids from different cultures. keep it civil.

What I have trouble with is when billybilly lets his heart out we sympathise because we are a community and billy is part of it then along comes a message from above "can we get back to guitars please".

We are a community, we are not writing the "Oxford encyclopedia of guitars", and we are not all in Bain capital mode.

Sorry, can you explain this? "can we get back to guitars please"

Think you're wrong, or else you don't know the colour of Jade, I think Billy got it.

• Moderators

while spam can sit here for hours.

Knotty, if you flag the spam, it'll get dealt with, I don't sit here 24 hours a day.

As I've said before I originally offered my services because of shed loads of kitchen spam originating in the UK, while US mods were still slumbering.

My humble apologies if I don't catch every piece of spam, but as you can see from the forum list, I'm not even listed as a Mod, while only Fretsy covers any other stuff and he's busy like most of us are trying to keep our financial asses above water.

I don't get paid for doing this, I get nothing.

Trawl back through my threads and you'll see I'm not averse to chicanery, but you'll see that a high proporytion of my contributions have been about buyingm selling, playing, modding, assembling, fixing or building electric guitars...........and that my dear chap is what this forum is for.

And for the record, I have no problem with what some call profane language, foul mouthedness is in my DNA.

• Members

If you look on Page 7, you'll see my personally influenced decision on why I closed that thread.

I'm a recovering addict, I spent 6 weeks in a "rehab centre", which is modern parlance for a psychiatric unit. I'm now a recovering addict.

When I read WRGKMC's thread, I trawled around the web to see what was going on and there's some ugly stuff happening around this situation, so in the first instance I didn't like the idea that the guy was judged for any of his behaviour as he clearly has "issues".

In the second instance, none of the discussion would have been about electric guitars.

I stand firmly by my decision, but if you feel I made a wrong call you can put your case forward and as I've said to a few people, if I find your case to be more compelling, then I'll happily reinstate the thread.

I've been around long enough to recognise threads that can lead to temp bans and perma bans, and as yet I've only temp banned one person. I'd like to keep it like that and keep this part of the forum pretty on topic, and as I've said before if a member of the forum has an OT post that is funny, interesting, educational or useful then I'm happy to let it go.

My two cents on the matter?

You OF COURSE have the right to remove any off topic threads. How about MOVE them?

It also seems like you let your personal ideals/morals/experiences rule the situation, or at least have a very large say in the matter, which I think is a bad policy. I think all the factors need looked at, including the intent of the original poster, and the identity and history of the op as well.

I think the fact the subject was at least a musician gives some leeway. The intent seemed sincere discussion. I've also seen MANY threads about this kind of thing lead people to open up about their personal challenges which I think is healing and we also get to know each other better as a community.

My personal opinion is the boards needs enough resources to let something fully fall off the edge before it gets locked or removed. Exceptions will apply of course.

Archived