Turntable.

Idunno

• Members

I bought a Sony. I just hooked it up to a system that required much finding (attic) and cleaning. I have 5 LPs saved from the 70s I'm going to play today. Then I have a later cut of Cat Steven's Greatest Hits.

1. Imagine

2. Woodstock

3. Burnt Lips

4. Alice's Restaurant

5. Wind On The Water

sm-lava

• Members

I still have my old belt drive Pioneer (which I play thru a 1970 Marantz receiver and some speakers that I built the cabinets way back then. I bought s little gizmo that takes RCA plug from the turntable and outputs a USB signal to the PC - in theory you can digitize your old vinyl but it turns out to be so time consuming to add all the track information that I've only done it to a few albums.

I've still got a bunch of old vinyl, some of which has never been released on cd as far as I know. Early Fahey and Kottke, some Leadbelly, as well as all the music we listened to in the 60's (I've even got a White Album). And, yes a Woodstock and an Alice's Restaurant. I think that dates us both.

• Members

Yup. Geezers. But, it was an unparalleled time to be alive.

This TT has the USB stuff but I haven't tried to do any digital tranference. Probably won't. I bought it for my 16 y/o's B-Day yesterday and, musically speaking, he's about as old as us. His older brother also prefers that era. Funny, they didn't get it from me because I never played music at home. They both found it on their own and now the younger one is stoked about hunting down old vinyls.

I'm driving it with a old late 70's Harmon Kardon receiver that is definitely showing it's age. The speakers are miniature Bose bookcase tweeters with a bass unit my brother surplused off to me some years ago. The receiver doesn't do them justice. Gonna have to replace it soon.

• Members

Had about 700 LPs, flipped them to CDs when the time came. Now I have a TB of MP3. Mostly the old stuff, though. Woodstock, the complete works of Dylan, Seeger, Beatles, Stones, Springsteen, you name it... I even used to have a 500 GB iPod-like player from Archos to keep most of my music with me. Nowadays, I don't listen that much any more. Strange...

• Members

I've always had a turntable. I used to have a big old belt-drive Sony but that went the way of all flesh so about 10 years ago I switched to a dinky little Bush one that is still going strong.

It's nice to pull out an old vinyl album now and again - I have about 300 - but alas, those youthful parties took their toll on many of them.

• Members
Vintage vinyl played thru a tube amp into a big old bass reflex speaker. It doesn't get much better...

Somehow I've never tried that but since you've mentioned it I'm sure I will. My stereo equipment is all solid state so I'll see what I can find

I was at a party once where they had a tape deck playing through a really old bass amp,it sounded lousy but I wish I had that amp now.

• Members

Most of my listening I do on a Sonos Connect plugged into a couple of Klipsch bookshelf speakers. There are two other Play3 satelite speakers around the house. Sometimes I'll put one out in the shop. For parties I'll put both on the deck linked as a stereo pair. Most of my CDs are FLACs on a NAS, but I stream a lot of internet radio stations, too. I don't think I've used a turntable in fifteen years. Or turned on my McIntosh in maybe three.

Last 2 CDs bought were Jeff Beck's You Had it Coming, and Honey Moan by Entrance.

• Members

This is my corner of the basement. 1970's stereo equipment A Gerrard. belt drive and a Phillips made in Holland with some of the first touch controls I had ever seen. Underneath is vinyl and sevral boxes of cassettes

The turntables are on a floating shelf to isolate them from speaker vibration

fetch?id=31309076

• Members

I just fired up my turntable for a vinyl collector friend of mine. We went thru my LP's some time ago, cleaned, alphabetized and looked some of them up in a value guide he had. One of the only kind of collectable records I had was a first pressing of John Fogarty's Centerfield. After the first pressing they changed a song called Zanz Kant Danz, because the name was too close to Fogarty's nemesis in the recording industry, the one who had sued him for sounding too much like himself after he went solo. That was the record I had on the turntable.

Records are a pain to move. My friend has a whole wall and a half of them.

• Members

Pioneer turntable. Sweet nostalgia. In 1976 I (hadn't even started shaving) began my working life in an independent Radio, Mechanical, Electrical surplus supplies shop. Telephone Contactors, components, resistors, 40, 000 microfarad capacitors (I loved charging them up just to short them and hear/see the resultant mini explosion). What a fine, exciting but haphazard intoduction to electronics that was. The owners son, a whippersnapper in his mere thirties, decided HiFi was the evolution needed. He was right. Pioneer record decks (was it a model LP12? Can't remember exactly) arrived in store. They had a reputation in comparative terms which was as famous as Linn Sondeck turntables of the day but the Pioneer was an eighth of the Sondecks price. We sold them. I could never afford one for myself though. Around 50 gbp if I recall. Eventually a friend of mine sold me his LP12 for a song. A momentous occasion for me. Took it home. Had it a couple of days before I decided I just had to look under the bonnet and tinker with it. Oh, oh! Big mistake. From that day on it developed a wobble on every second rotation. Yes, second rotation. To this day I can't figure that one out logically. Did I learn not to tinker? Did I heck. I still can't resist "customising" stuff.

• Members
No turntable, 17 LPs and three 8-track tapes survived.

No clue where the rest of it all went ...

Years ago I bought a 1977 Toyota Corolla that had an 8-Track installed. They were pretty well obsolete even then (early 1980's) but I found a discount store that sold closeout 8-Tracks. Bought--and listened to--some interesting stuff. One tape was soundtrack music from various Mel Brooks films.

• Members

Audio Technica AT-120 turntable into my 12 channel Mackie mixer and straight into the audio card of my computer. Smooth sailing. It has switchable grounding for computer input to kill 60 cycle hum. Works great. I use Cakewalk Software with 320 KBPS MP3 encoding. The noise filters do a pretty decent job on pops and crackles, but it is never gonna be perfect. Truth is, I kind of like a little bit of it because it reminds me of days gone by.

• Members
Pioneer turntable. Sweet nostalgia. In 1976 I (hadn't even started shaving) began my working life in an independent Radio' date=' Mechanical, Electrical surplus supplies shop. Telephone Contactors, components, resistors, 40, 000 microfarad capacitors (I loved charging them up just to short them and hear/see the resultant mini explosion). What a fine, exciting but haphazard intoduction to electronics that was. The owners son, a whippersnapper in his mere thirties, decided HiFi was the evolution needed. He was right. Pioneer record decks (was it a model LP12? Can't remember exactly) arrived in store. They had a reputation in comparative terms which was as famous as Linn Sondeck turntables of the day but the Pioneer was an eighth of the Sondecks price. We sold them. I could never afford one for myself though. Around 50 gbp if I recall. Eventually a friend of mine sold me his LP12 for a song. A momentous occasion for me. Took it home. Had it a couple of days before I decided I just had to look under the bonnet and tinker with it. Oh, oh! Big mistake. From that day on it developed a wobble on every second rotation. Yes, second rotation. To this day I can't figure that one out logically. Did I learn not to tinker? Did I heck. I still can't resist "customising" stuff.[/quote']

It is possible that the LP12 wobbled every second rotation because the wobble was on the belt, which ran around its circuit at a different frequency than the platter did.

Turntables are weird and wonderful things. I have a dozen plus of them lying around... And tube amps and reflex speakers.

baby-dance

• Members

In my day the Acoustic Research AR-78 was the minimalist go-to turntable, sort of like the original Advent speakers and Grado SR-60 headphones. Those were the days. My brother - a year younger than me - recently gave my 22-YO son and his roommate a crate of old albums and a Garrard turntable. Many of the albums were classics, like Disraeli Gears and Trout Mask Replica, lol.

• Members
All these brands coming out of the past like warm memories. Remember Sansui? Everything I had at one point was made by that company.
Marantz. Even though both tweeters in these speakers had expired, I refused to accept they were horrible sounding. umm, I can see the irony here. This being a players forum.

• Members

A friend made his own cabs. They sounded pretty good. After I tallied the cost of the parts/materials and assigned a conservative figure to his labor, he was surprised to learn he spent more on them than he would have on a nice set of commercially made. I always charge myself labor when I go the DIY method. I am in so much debt to me at this juncture I should be able to write off my taxes till I die..

Archived