Lets build something that looks like an ES-175

Freeman Keller

• Members

The fretboard is radiused at 16 inches, I've got this home made thingie that bends fretwire at about that radius (actually its 12 but that's fine)

IMG_1634_zpsd8e0cd8c.jpg

When I'm done I've got two pieces of fretwire that looks like this

IMG_1635_zps491a8894.jpg

Because this is a bound fretboard I have to remove the tang at the very ends of the fret, just clamp it in between a couple of blocks and file it down

IMG_1637_zps15187ef5.jpg

Before starting I get everything together that I'll need. The frets are all cut to length and have their tangs trimmed back, the thing above the fretboard and to the left is a radiused clamping caul with inserts for various fretboard radii, the L shape thingie is a piece of fretwire that I've filed the barbs off the tang - its used to check the depth of the slot. That's a dental tool that I clean the slots out with. A little super glue, my favorite hammer - I think we are ready

IMG_1638_zps3c31d777.jpg

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There are different ways to install frets - hammer 'em in, press 'em, glue 'em, I use a combination of all three - I wick a thin bead of CA into the slot, tap one end in with my hammer, then lightly tap across the fret. Then move it to my drill press where I have the caul - clamp it down and hold for 10 seconds.

IMG_1639_zps84d7493c.jpg

Do about half the board, then clamp it with a 16 inch radius sanding block for 15 minutes or so - let the CA work its way to the ends at the binding and cure

IMG_1640_zps3d2d376a.jpg

After that I file the ends flush with the edge of the board, then give them a little angle - somewhere between 45 and 60 degrees. With a little jewler's file I round the edges of each fret - that is a draftsman's eraser shield protecting the binding

IMG_1641_zps5538b782.jpg

Polish the ends of the frets (I haven't leveled or crowned them yet) and it looks like

IMG_1642_zps17cf7a21.jpg

Those are basically the steps your repair guy would take in refretting your guitar (plus leveling and crowning) - now you know why it costs so much

• Members
I don't hang around the electric forum very much but frankly I'm kind of disappointed. One of the reasons that I thought I would post this thread here instead of HGAG where it probably belongs is that I figured you guys (and girls) were a bunch of bad-asses. I figured that since Jesse is kind of bad-ass and this guitar is a bit bad-ass that HCEG regulars would really like it. I kind of expected the reaction to the skulls to be "whoa, dud, that's really bad-ass, I dig it" but instead I've got a bunch of my buddies from HGAG over here saying "gee, I don't like the skulls". Well, whatever you think of the skulls,

p1030876.jpg

Time to move on

OK then. You DID ask. You got a bone to pick or is it the customer? ;-)

Personally I think you should do a goat inlay.

• Members

OK then. You DID ask. You got a bone to pick or is it the customer? ;-)

Personally I think you should do a goat inlay.

LOL - the mountain goat is my personal talisman and that would make a great inlay. If I was doing a guitar for my wife it would be the Great Blue Heron. When I made my daughters it was her dragon fly

IMG_1250.jpg

• Members

I would never put a Grateful Dead sticker on a Lambo...I would not put one on a Yugo though. It would be insulting to the Yugo.

The skulls are cool beans. To me it is like a subtle eff you to tradition.

I am in awe of your abilities, and jealous too.

• Members

Sand the feet on the bridge to fit the contour of the top

IMG_1654_zpsd9aeff06.jpg

Double and triple check the neck angle - I'm not too familiar with setting up an archtop but I figure that if I set the fretboard plane to just hit the top of the bridge at its lowest position I will get a little bit of action from the string tension and I can set the rest with the little wheels on the bridge. We'll see....

IMG_1656_zpsc46ad7ab.jpg

Routed the binding channels on the top

IMG_1661_zps943f7f29.jpg

Laminated some b-w-b purfling

IMG_1651_zps84cea2e0.jpg

Another cool little StewMac tool - you brush acetone on the strips of pufling material and pull it thru the little UHMW block which glues them all together.

• Members

Glue the binding and purfling in place. With plastic binding you can tape it in place, then wick thin superglue in the crack - the glue will go down inside and hold it together.

IMG_1662_zps7ab79fd0.jpg

Scrape the binding back flush with the top and sides

IMG_1663_zps92ea11a1.jpg

Last thing I did was make a pickguard out of ebony and bound it too - here are all the bits and pieces together

IMG_1664_zps5f7742ac.jpg

I'll bind the back today, then there are about a zillion little details

• Members

I looked at those last pictures that I posted and I'm pretty ashamed of them. I keep a cheap little camera in the shop to document things that go on there - it looks like the white balance has gone to hell and the focus is terrible. I brought my good camera out today - lets see if these are any better.

Routed out the ledge for the back binding

IMG_1890_zps69409736.jpg

A razor blade or box cutter blade makes a really good scraper for plastic binding

IMG_1891_zps6e99cb99.jpg

Here is the back

IMG_1892_zps93364af2.jpg

And here is a better picture of that cheap looking plastic binding on the top

IMG_1893_zpsf9bc338a.jpg

I think it looks OK

• Members

Wow, that's incredible.

While I personally wouldn't prefer the skulls, you sure did a good job with them, and afterall that's exactly what your friend is expecting. Great work, and thanks for showing all the steps that you've shown thus far; I love the picture of the binding scraping in progress.

• Members

Details, details, details. Or should I say sanding, sanding, sanding. I'm afraid the next few days are going to be pretty boring with lots of sanding and little details. I'll try to post a few of the more interesting things. In addition, we're going over to Rainier for a few days so I'll be out of the shop (and away from a computer).

Anyway, glued a little ebony cap on the heel and bound it

IMG_1897_zps7d044797.jpg

Set the neck perfectly flat and filed the frets so they are too. The thing on the fretboard is a flat piece of steel the has some 120 grit sandpaper stuck to it with double sticky tape - I ran a mill bastard fill over the frets then finished them off with the sandpaper

IMG_1901_zps4b9fbb0d.jpg

Each fret should have the top gently sanded flat - number three and four were a bit high and so there was more removed.

IMG_1902_zpsbfafb714.jpg

Recrown them with a special file and give them a slight polish with 220 grit - we'll do a lot more work on the frets during the final setup

IMG_1900_zps814f14c7.jpg

• Members

More sanding on the neck - I'm close to the final shape based on the templates but I want Jesse to fondle it and make sure it meets his needs. I can always remove more wood but its pretty hard to put it back on

IMG_1899_zps141e1921.jpg

Finally (for today, at least) we need a truss rod cover so some of the scrap ebony gives us

IMG_1903_zps59b879d7.jpg

And since we are a bit over the top with the skull theme, how about we put one in the truss rod cover and the pick guard?

IMG_1904_zpsbe574ca5.jpg

See ya all in a few days - be good now.

• Members

More skulls? *grroooooooaaaaan!* Just kidding. Water off a duck's back and all that you know. Not my guitar so my opinion shouldn't matter. I'm amazed at how quickly thus went together but you have a lot of practice and mad skills. You HAVE to put a goat in there somewhere, though. Given that this is an acoustic electric It's a tradition. ;-)

Archived