I never have "stacked" pedals....

• Members

e.g. i have a ehx lpb-1 booster in front of my ts-9 reissue
ts-9 on its own make a nice overdrive sound with the settings i have
lpb-1 boosts clean nicely my amp and gives it more grit
if ts-9 and lpb-1 are on, the lbp-1 boosts the input of the ts-9 instead of my amp, which results the nice overdrive to have more gain, depending on how high the gain on the ts-9 is and how high i turn the lpb-1 i can't get from a more gritty overdrive to a almost nice high gain distortion.

that's one purpose of pedal stacking.
you can use any booster, overdrive, distortion, fuzz combination you have by hand, some of them will sound wonderful, others will sound terrible.
partly depending on taste, but some pedals never work good together, no matter what taste you have

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent'd View Post
have a dirt sound with one pedal on, add another pedal in the mix, new dirt sound. Quite simple really.....
I get it....in that sense. redface.gif

How do you get any clarity with more than 1 dirt pedal on?

With that much gain, doesn't it just feedback like crazy?

Can you use each pedal separately when set up for stacking, or are the pedal settings changed to allow for this to work?

• Members

It's also referred to as cascading. People have been doing it for decades. Stevie Ray Vaughn used two tube screamers. My favorite is my M.I. Audio Blues Pro (at lower gain) into my Keeley/Boss DS-1 SEM Distortion. It's great for single note leads, violin like sustain, woman tone type stuff. It has a different character than fuzz. I never seem to have any problem with feedback, though my band tries to avoid being terribly loud.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GAS KING View Post

Can you use each pedal separately when set up for stacking, or are the pedal settings changed to allow for this to work?
gain down, volume up on at least one of the pedals.

• Members

Obviously, you don't dime everything. I've heard it referred to as 'gain structure' although that's prolly mixology. Basically you mix pedals for color and keep the levels where the tone is. You can set the overall level at the final stages ( last pedal or further on through the amp itself ) where they don't mud out.

• Members

that's where i meant, some pedals don't work together. it also means, pedals with some settings don't work with others in other settings.

its a try and messing around thing. stack two pedals of choice, fiddle with the knobs and see if you like the results, if the results are meh try another combination.

you can use each pedal separately if you like the settings of the pedals in single mode also. it depends on how you like it and which pedals these are and how you set them.

just give it a try and have fun

• Members

As what others have mentioned. Also, some pedals stack better than others. You'll see a lot of comments on the Pharaoh, and how great it stacks with other pedals. It is true. You dial back the gain on it quite a bit, and by itself, it seems like a muffled kind of overdrive. But I have a MXR Modified OD, with gain about noon, and that drives into the Pharaoh, and it just makes the sound come alive. And what's great about it is that my basic tone sounds the same, but just a lot ballsier, and the dirt tone has this very nice, crisp, focused sound. It might seem counterintuitive, like the more gain you stack the gritier and looser the sound might get, as in mush. But depending on the pedal combo, and keep the gain lower on at least one of the pedals, it actually works out really nice.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by erksin View Post
It's no different than running a dirt pedal into a dirty amp - you gotta watch your gain and output levels, and the EQ flexibility of each one plays a part too.
This.

I don't stack pedals very often, but when I do, it's usually a fuzz into a low gain overdrive into a clean amp.

• Members

I've never really played with stacking too much, it didn't really work too well when I've tried.. but I also don't think I know what the "proper" way to stack. should it be low gain/overdrive into high gain? the other way around? does it not really work with fuzz in the same way as straight up dirt?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by nomenclature View Post
I've never really played with stacking too much, it didn't really work too well when I've tried.. but I also don't think I know what the "proper" way to stack. should it be low gain/overdrive into high gain? the other way around? does it not really work with fuzz in the same way as straight up dirt?
Trial and error has been my experience. I don't think there are any rules to it.

I really enjoyed running one LPB into another.

• Members
icon_lol.gif dos equis. nice

right now im stacking mostly my timmy with a cleanish boost into a Musket fuzz or Blakemore custom Rat for some extra oomph. works and sounds great.

i dont really stack 2 heavies together ever, not my thing

Archived