I never have "stacked" pedals....

• Members

Right now I'm using an EQD Monarch with the gain set really low for just the slightest breakup if I dig in. I am keeping that on all the time rather than having a pure clean. Then I'm boosting it it with my Tonebone Hot British. Nice and thick.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ILOVEMYFENDER

View Post

I run my Plexidrive into my Swollen Pickle set to low gain. Makes for a tight fuzz sound with a good amount of gain. You can actually palm mute with a big muff clone. icon_lol.gif

I like and use this approach. I like a low gain (Joyo UD or Sansamp BDDI) after my fuzz to tighten it up some.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GAS KING

View Post

And you guys switch both on and off live?

Yes or you can do what I did and once you find the combo you like have a builder custom builder you both into one box with a master on / off.

Quote Originally Posted by martha_KH

View Post

I like and use this approach. I like a low gain (Joyo UD or Sansamp BDDI) after my fuzz to tighten it up some.

This is what I do as well, OCD clone after a BAT LSTR fuzz, but I run mine both with gain full bore Totally_jammin_out.gif The volumes take some adjusting to get right but when set correctly its awesome.

To explain both / here's a demo video of my custom pedal that might help make some sense of stacking and what not.

• Members

Od and Fuzz generally sound good either direction OD>Fuzz or Fuzz>OD depending on the settings, there's no real general rules that i'm aware of other then just listening to what sounds good to your ear.

• Members

View Post

Are there any general rules to stacks....like a light OD after fuzz typically sounds good....or whatever?

I'm going to experiment with it, but some nice preset combos would be fun to try for quick results.

In my time on the forum, I remember stacking being discussed several times and it seems that there are several different schools of thought on this subject.

Some people will stack in order of gain: low gain to high gain, whereas others do the opposite; higher gain in to low gain.

Some people base their theory around EQ and/or responsiveness... e.g. if they have an 'amp-like' overdrive, then that will go last in the stack order (the theory going along the lines that you would run a fuzz/distortion into an amp, but you wouldn't really want to run an amp through fuzz/distortion.

The EQ aspect plays a part too; some people will choose to put the pedal with the 'best', most flexible tone section last so that pedal acts as the overall tone-shaper for the stacked dirt pedals. (Something like a Timmy is good in that role.)

Some people insist on putting Fuzz Faces and/or Tonebenders first, but then follow one of the above patterns (or something else entirely) for the rest of the chain.

From my own point of view, it really has to be a pedal by pedal decision with lots of trial and error.

My one 'rule' is that a Big Muff (or something similar) should go last, but even I break that rule sometimes.

Just as an example: A Tubescreamer (or other mid-focused drive) sounds amazing pushing a Big Muff, as it fills out the midrange and improves clarity.

Running a Big Muff through a Tubescreamer always sounds wrong to me because of the tonal aspects of the pedals in question; the Big Muff, with a wide frequency range and loads of low end going into a Tubescreamer, which has boosted mids and usually a bass and treble roll-off results in a somewhat 'strangled' tone (imo). The tonal spectrum of the BM basically overloading the TS.

tl;dr

There aren't so much rules as there are theories. The only thing you can really do is try it out for yourself to see what works (for you) and if you like it.

Last thing...

I don't stack that often, but when I do, it is usually just for convenience:

Maybe I might need to go from clean to light overdrive to heavy fuzz/distortion in a song; I'll just leave the overdrive on when I hit the fuzz/distortion.

• Members

I had a post in my work blog years ago describing the thought process behind it but I can't find it anymore.

Basically, I used the analogy of plumbing - you have skinny pipes and fat pipes. What determines a pedal's 'width' is it's gain content, headroom/compression level, and EQ spread. With skinny pipes water is compressed and flows faster due to the high pressure (in audio that translates to a more compressed and focused sound), fatter pipes allow more water volume flow at a lower pressure (wider freq spread and less compression). Sometimes you want that more compressed, focused sound - sometimes you want a wider freq spread with more dynamic response.

• Members

View Post

Are there any general rules to stacks....like a light OD after fuzz typically sounds good....or whatever?

I'm going to experiment with it, but some nice preset combos would be fun to try for quick results.

there are certainly no rules and hardly any guidelines that really apply across the board. i usually don't like fuzzes stacked together, but sometimes i do and have recently been playing with two together. usually i like a fuzz and an od distortion. sometimes you have to try a lot of different things with mixed results before you really stumble upon a golden combo, but it's so worth it when you do. spend a fair bit of time tweaking each combo. if you're not getting anything you like, definitely switch the order before you give up on the pedals. i used to run an ocd in front of a sovtek muff and it was awesome. i got some really killer heavy tones with it. but when i tried it with the muff in front, i couldn't get anything i liked. every pedal combo will respond differently to each other. it's really all about experimenting. i bet if you try a couple of combos of a good od/dist and a good fuzz, you'll find something cool. one thing i like about it is that the result is a more unique tone than what you'll get with one pedal. i think it can really help to develop a sound that is more your own and harder to find on someone else's board.

• Members

I like to run a SHO after either a muff or a rat in order to make it 'sing' a little more. I think its just a matter of adding a little more clarity to the notes. Also it means that I can wind back the volume on the guitar and it cleans up without losing as much volume.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kpd78

View Post

In my time on the forum, I remember stacking being discussed several times and it seems that there are several different schools of thought on this subject.

Some people will stack in order of gain: low gain to high gain, whereas others do the opposite; higher gain in to low gain.

Some people base their theory around EQ and/or responsiveness... e.g. if they have an 'amp-like' overdrive, then that will go last in the stack order (the theory going along the lines that you would run a fuzz/distortion into an amp, but you wouldn't really want to run an amp through fuzz/distortion.

The EQ aspect plays a part too; some people will choose to put the pedal with the 'best', most flexible tone section last so that pedal acts as the overall tone-shaper for the stacked dirt pedals. (Something like a Timmy is good in that role.)

Some people insist on putting Fuzz Faces and/or Tonebenders first, but then follow one of the above patterns (or something else entirely) for the rest of the chain.

From my own point of view, it really has to be a pedal by pedal decision with lots of trial and error.

My one 'rule' is that a Big Muff (or something similar) should go last, but even I break that rule sometimes.

Just as an example: A Tubescreamer (or other mid-focused drive) sounds amazing pushing a Big Muff, as it fills out the midrange and improves clarity.

Running a Big Muff through a Tubescreamer always sounds wrong to me because of the tonal aspects of the pedals in question; the Big Muff, with a wide frequency range and loads of low end going into a Tubescreamer, which has boosted mids and usually a bass and treble roll-off results in a somewhat 'strangled' tone (imo). The tonal spectrum of the BM basically overloading the TS.

tl;dr

There aren't so much rules as there are theories. The only thing you can really do is try it out for yourself to see what works (for you) and if you like it.

Last thing...

I don't stack that often, but when I do, it is usually just for convenience:

Maybe I might need to go from clean to light overdrive to heavy fuzz/distortion in a song; I'll just leave the overdrive on when I hit the fuzz/distortion.

this is a super good post. I always like the idea of going Muff into TS, hoping it would give you that exploding amp sound you get with a muff into an overdriven tube amp. But it never really sounded like that, and I find that using my OCD on a pretty high gain going into my Hoof on max gain does a pretty good job of giving me that sound, and I like being able to get "more" from the Hoof.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by erksin

View Post

I had a post in my work blog years ago describing the thought process behind it but I can't find it anymore.

Basically, I used the analogy of plumbing - you have skinny pipes and fat pipes. What determines a pedal's 'width' is it's gain content, headroom/compression level, and EQ spread. With skinny pipes water is compressed and flows faster due to the high pressure (in audio that translates to a more compressed and focused sound), fatter pipes allow more water volume flow at a lower pressure (wider freq spread and less compression). Sometimes you want that more compressed, focused sound - sometimes you want a wider freq spread with more dynamic response.

That's a good analogy. thumb.gif I was trying to think of an explanation along those lines (I had something involving a funnel! facepalm.gif) but didn't quite get there...

Quote Originally Posted by DRGUN

View Post

this is a super good post. I always like the idea of going Muff into TS, hoping it would give you that exploding amp sound you get with a muff into an overdriven tube amp. But it never really sounded like that, and I find that using my OCD on a pretty high gain going into my Hoof on max gain does a pretty good job of giving me that sound, and I like being able to get "more" from the Hoof.

Thanks thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by IRG

View Post

As what others have mentioned. Also, some pedals stack better than others. You'll see a lot of comments on the Pharaoh, and how great it stacks with other pedals. It is true. You dial back the gain on it quite a bit, and by itself, it seems like a muffled kind of overdrive. But I have a MXR Modified OD, with gain about noon, and that drives into the Pharaoh, and it just makes the sound come alive. And what's great about it is that my basic tone sounds the same, but just a lot ballsier, and the dirt tone has this very nice, crisp, focused sound. It might seem counterintuitive, like the more gain you stack the gritier and looser the sound might get, as in mush. But depending on the pedal combo, and keep the gain lower on at least one of the pedals, it actually works out really nice.

Pharaoh + BAT BF + Barber Tone press = love.gif at least to my ears.

• Members

I like having a "rhythm" type sound which isn't too compressed or gainy, a tubescreamer in front of it so that I can get longer sustain if I need it, and a clean boost after it so I can actually get a meaningful volume increase for when I want people to actually listen to me. At the moment it's a sparkle drive -> Rat II -> SDD-3kp clean boost, I can cover a bunch of sounds with those.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I stacked recently :sigh:......well, I'm running an Arc Effects Klone set clean-ish always on at the beginning of my chain...

Still don't like stacking otherwise. People constantly talk about it, but I still don't quite get it.

One dirt/fuzz pedal usually takes away most of the clarity I want.

Archived