why are mesa boogie amps sooo expensive?

t_e_l_e

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Boogie used to be "affordable". They can be prone to QC issues but the sound is good enough and apparently they take good care of their high profile users. Even for Schmoe Self, Customer Service when I had to deal with them 20 yrs ago was quick, no questions asked, and often beyond simple repair.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by dZjupp View Post
they are high quality products.
i used to have a DC10 and a 4x10 Blue Angel that started smoking, got rid of them both.
I have 3 Mesa's in my amp brothel - Heartbreaker, Nomad & Rectoverb and love em all to death. Never had an issue. These are great amps!!! Perhaps if they've gone up that much I should consider selling a couple smile.gif

The reason I quoted you is because I also used to own a 4x10 Blue Angel that I had issues with it smoking as well - sent it back to Mesa for repair and when it came back I sold it because it spooked me and I lost faith in it for gigging purposes. Hope that's not the one you ended up with idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Used/vintage Boogies are expensive because they are high quality and hold their value.
I had a Mark II-B that I bought new in 1984 (saving money from my $3.85/hour office cleaning job) for $800. Traded it 4 years ago for a Mesa Maverick, which I ended up selling for $700.

• Members

i dont really think they are expensive at all, esp for what you are getting. i bought my 50/50 over ten years ago for right around 400 bucks. countless gigs and rehearsals later with only one retube and it has never crapped out on me and always sounds perfect. helluva deal in my book.

• Members

They don't seem that expensive, a lot of Marshals are clearly simpler yet more expensive etc. Mesa was always intended to be non-budget I assume, kind of trying to have that exclusivity feeling, otherwise they would open up on modeling amps for 99 or something.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 1DZReverendDavidLee View Post
I have 3 Mesa's in my amp brothel - Heartbreaker, Nomad & Rectoverb and love em all to death. Never had an issue. These are great amps!!! Perhaps if they've gone up that much I should consider selling a couple smile.gif

The reason I quoted you is because I also used to own a 4x10 Blue Angel that I had issues with it smoking as well - sent it back to Mesa for repair and when it came back I sold it because it spooked me and I lost faith in it for gigging purposes. Hope that's not the one you ended up with idn_smilie.gif
wild wild wild stuff man.

no, i bought mine new about 12 years ago down in Springfield, mo. whats funny is they marketed it as "Turn it up" - its low wattage, ha, i guess they left out the smoking part. i traded it in on a Robin Ranger, hope its not the one YOU ended up with. it def freaked me out

i've always wanted a 2x12 heartbreaker, they sound pretty much perfect, like a perfect cross between a twin and a bluesbreaker

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Picklebottom

View Post

because in order to get an american do do anything properly you have to pay them outrageous salaries. that expense is passed along to the consumer.

In California, employers are required to pay the outrage salary of $8/hour. Republicans hate the minimum wage as it takes away from the owner's profits.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by iamthearm View Post
not prohibitively expensive. i hate the sound of most mesa boogies but the lonestar combo is pretty sexy.

oh man, this is the one i was trying to think of

one of the best sounding combo amps i've ever played through, the Lonestar,
wow, majorly impressed. has tons of character

• Members

You could argue the cost still gets passed along to the consumer for chinese stuff - just in terms of more severe resale depreciation and repairs needed when products are manufactured with either less quality control or in ways that make repair less viable.

That said, it seems like the used values on Mesa products kind of vary. I've seen lot of clueless kids trying to resell their Triple Recs for what they bought it for vs. someone selling a clearly superior Mark III for

Archived