why are mesa boogie amps sooo expensive?

t_e_l_e

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gnarly

View Post

The Mesa Express 5:50 cleans are supposed to be very Lonestar-ish, I don't have any experience with the Lonestar but the cleans of the Express are great but a bit generic and with a hiss (that may be fixed on the new ones). As for the price, I really don't find them all that expensive when you consider the R&D, labour and parts that go into their amps compared to any of the boutique Vox, Fender or old school Marshall clones that are out there.

recently indulged, 550 non plusd' no compailnts'...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i loved my mesa stiletto ace so god damned much. big regret letting that go. it was a 50 watt head on a straight front 4x12. someday i might get the ace combo or just a different mesa. to me, they make one of the best products. i'd like to see some more "feature less" amps. volume, bass, treble, gain. sometimes all the knobs just aren't needed.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

I dunno... how are we defining "boutique"? I'd say if they aren't now, they certainly were back in the 70s, and when I got my first Boogie in the early 80s. In fact, they were, in my opinion, one of the first boutique amp companies. USA hand-built, limited production, mad attention to detail, etc. The only way to get them originally was direct from Mesa. Later, they started distributing through a few stores, but they kept everything at full-pop in terms of pricing, even through the retail dealers, and you could still buy direct if you wanted to. The main advantage to retail was you could audition the amp first, and walk out the door with it if you found one you liked... the main advantage to ordering direct was the ability to order the amp with whatever specific options you wanted.

Last time I checked, all of that is still pretty much the case, even now.

I bought my first Mesa from Randell Smith in 1974 when the entire company was Randell and his wife Raven. You could only call to order on Wendsday!!! I still have all the original paperwork. Cost $770.00 in 1974.

Still playin and she is running strong.

I also bought a Blue Angel head from Carlos Santana and had Larry Rodgers build a 3-10 combo which is a blues machine. The reverb on the Blue Angel is pretty special.

My MKIV is the best amp I have ever played. I put a JBL K120 in it so I wouldn't be able to pick it up... smile.gif

• Members

Shrug. I bought my Mesa sometime in 1989-1990 timeframe. It actually was significantly damaged but it still worked fine - I got a deal on it we'll say. I sent it back to Mesa, they refurbed it and made it better than new (new front plate, new pots, retubed it, got the spring reverb working again) and I've been running it pretty much several days a week since 1990 when I got it back.

The studio preamp is very similar to the Mark IIc+ preamp portion and it just sounds incredible, works well and records well and just WORKS.

What most people don't talk about is the touch sensitivity - incredible. I highly recommend their stuff.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mmolteratx

View Post

If you're okay with getting {censored}ed in the ass when you've got full legal recourse, then be my guest.

Who says that I work a minimum wage job? Who says that I even have a job? I haven't indicated either.

You know nothing of corruption. You must think that all businesses and courts follow the law. Not in America, and probably not in Texas.

• Members

the zillion featured Mark V & roadkings give me silly amounts of gas

but those zillion features mean there's so much more that could go wrong in the amp, and that always worries me.

I wish they made a simpler straight up single channel amp - I'd probably buy one of those.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GDan

View Post

Are you in the UK? Distribution has a lot to do with it.

I've heard that a few times...but why is Peavey and Fender not the same kind of prices for the same reasons?? I know some Peaveys are made in china but not all and even my old Classic 30 and 50 were both pre china. But they were still cheaper my miles. 5150? 6505?

Fenders are all USA (tube amps) and good amps to boot...but nowhere close to Mesa prices.

Maybe its the better quality PCBs they use? Meh...I'll stick to my Marshall DSL and my Vox AC30. smile.gif

• Members

Would volume have anything to do with it? I know that makes a big difference in production in respect to economies of scale. On that same token I'm sure Fender and Peavey, by virtue of being bigger companies than Mesa, would have more muscle to bring down costs in shipping/distribution overseas if that's something that can be done economically.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Brian May

View Post

I've heard that a few times...but why is Peavey and Fender not the same kind of prices for the same reasons?? I know some Peaveys are made in china but not all and even my old Classic 30 and 50 were both pre china. But they were still cheaper my miles. 5150? 6505?

Fenders are all USA (tube amps) and good amps to boot...but nowhere close to Mesa prices.

Maybe its the better quality PCBs they use? Meh...I'll stick to my Marshall DSL and my Vox AC30. smile.gif

I believe the Hot Rod series is made in Mexico.

• Members

EDIT: BTW, I meet more and more people every day that move here from New York and California. You know why? Cost of living.

I can't speak for CA, but here in NY we like to weed out the weak and send them on their way. icon_lol.gif

On topic I've always been curious about how Mesas were distributed as I've hardly ever seen them for sale new. I'd definitely like to own one at some point and if I had the extra scratch I'd probably pick up a TA 30.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Fall

View Post

I can't speak for CA, but here in NY we like to weed out the weak and send them on their way. icon_lol.gif

On topic I've always been curious about how Mesas were distributed as I've hardly ever seen them for sale new. I'd definitely like to own one at some point and if I had the extra scratch I'd probably pick up a TA 30.

ive beem jailed, on the coners of the USA, and to Tell, it do as it do so rite , tone is aadjunct, to thee, present us as we too...

I've had a couple of darn good Mesa amps. A Mk I, Mk IIb, a SOB, a Studio 22... That one rocked incredibly well until one sad day when it took a dive off the top of a Fender Super Six Reverb. Duuuude, was THAT ever a fun rig! love.gif Unfortunately, even though I sent it back to Mesa for the repair, the Studio 22 never sounded as good after that fall. frown.gif But before that, it was a really good setup - the power of a Twin (105W), with six 10" speakers for my cleans, with a 22W 1x12" amp that I could open up wide for the crunch and leads, and that balanced well level-wise with the Super Six Reverb.

Bring earplugs. And keep a chiropractor on call. wink.gif

I've also recorded most of their amp models at one time or another. I have to say that, in general, I'm not a big fan of the Dual Rectifiers. They sound kind of muddy and indistinct to me. I do like the Mark series. I've never really had a problem understanding their signal flow, or their controls, but then again, I'm an engineer - I can see how they might be a bit more confusing to some guitarists - especially those reared on more straightforward amp designs.

Like most companies, I think Mesa has had some successes, and some products that didn't do quite as well as they may have hoped. But it would be hard to successfully argue that they weren't one of the first "boutique" amp companies. It would also be hard to deny that they've made some very innovative and successful amps over the years.

Archived