why are mesa boogie amps sooo expensive?

t_e_l_e

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't find them that expensive. idn_smilie.gif Especially compared to a lot of single channel, 30w boutique amps that cost more and can't even begin to touch them on features. Only amps that come close in the boutique game are Diezel, Rhodes, Bogner, Fortin and a few others. And you'll pay a hefty premium for those, with honestly questionable return on some. Regret the hell out of going with a Hagen instead of something like a Road King II.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LSDis4me

View Post

^ How much have the costs of living gone up in the last 15 years?

Are you sure you're not trolling? facepalm.gif You're forgetting that everyone is complaining about the economy right now, and many people who could afford plenty of food and gas fifteen years ago can't anymore.

FYI: Minimum wage is different in every state. It's definitely not eight dollars in Georgia.

Please. Just. Go.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by dZjupp

View Post

wild wild wild stuff man.

no, i bought mine new about 12 years ago down in Springfield, mo. whats funny is they marketed it as "Turn it up" - its low wattage, ha, i guess they left out the smoking part. i traded it in on a Robin Ranger, hope its not the one YOU ended up with. it def freaked me out

i've always wanted a 2x12 heartbreaker, they sound pretty much perfect, like a perfect cross between a twin and a bluesbreaker

I don't know if it was your old one ot not as I bought it used - thing is when it worked it sounded excellent - a 4x10 Mesa Blue Angel was on my list when I found out about them and that they were discontinued... I guess now we both now why they were discontinued. POS's in my book. Loved the blend knob for the tube configuration change but that may have been the problem with that amp.. I'll never know. idn_smilie.gif

Not to rub it in but I also own a Marshall Bluesbreaker and a Fender Twin smile.gif

The Heartbreaker was my main gigging amp for a full 2 years on the road (paired with a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 2x10) Oooo still gives me goosebumps just thinking about that combination love.gif I quit taking the Heartbreaker to gigs after a drunken moron at a gig in Winterset almost spilled a beer on it. Those are their 25 year anniversary amps and you can't find them anymore. You'll know I've died if mine shows up on the local craigslist. tongue.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by christianatl

View Post

$7.25 / hr. in GA. Server minimum is $2.13 / hr.

$5.15 = http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm#.UKMvvYbZ0oo

I don't know anyone who makes the 7.25 minimum wage, and most of my peers work in restaurants for the $2.13. People don't tip like they used to, either.

EDIT: BTW, I meet more and more people every day that move here from New York and California. You know why? Cost of living.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksstudent

View Post

$5.15 = http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm#.UKMvvYbZ0oo

I don't know anyone who makes the 7.25 minimum wage, and most of my peers work in restaurants for the $2.13. People don't tip like they used to, either.

EDIT: BTW, I meet more and more people every day that move here from New York and California. You know why? Cost of living.

Doesn't matter two {censored}s what the state minimum wage is if it's lower than the Federal minimum. Federal law takes precedence, unless the state's laws uphold a higher standard. And that goes for everything, not just wages. If you know someone making less than that, I suggest that they get in contact with the US Department of Labor. Server wages are ridiculous everywhere though.

• Members

I don't find them THAT expensive.

everything of theirs that i've played I've always liked and didn't feel like it was gonna bust easily.

I had a Mesa 400+ for quite a while, never let me down.

I really hope to track down a strategy 500 one day.

I'm glad they're not making toy amp SS 8" speaker trash.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by orourke

I picked up an F-30 for about $600 bucks a few months back. I absolutely love the sound of it. I own two other Mesa's and sold a Mark IIB a last year (just because I had too many Mesas and something had to go). The F-30 ranks up there with my Mark IV. It's the perfect dive bar amp, it has shimmer cleans, and when it's played dirty it cuts through the band nicely, plays well with effects, especially for a EL-84 amp.

Urgh, stop giving me GAS, as it sounds like the F-30 would be perfect for me. What

• Members

don't get me wrong, i don't want to bitch about mesa and their price politics, i just want to understand wheres the difference is

if you take fender or marshall or vox in comparison, they have absolutely great amps at around 1000 to 1500euros. most of their products are price below, yes there are some custom shop stuff way above, but that's the minority.

mesa has nothing which is below 2000euro's

yes mesa amps often have more channels, yes every channel has its own controls (and control circuits) and yes some of them seem quite complex and feature heavy.

but what do i miss at fender/vox/marshall amps, which the mesa would give me and justifies paying more than twice as much as paying for any other amp, beside the feature heaviness and the made in the usa?

what kind of player would need a mesa, cause a single or multiple fender/marshall/vox amp(s) cannot full fill the needs of that player

is it only the handmade usa and the brand or is there something more, which you don't get if you haven't played any mesa amp before?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by t_e_l_e

View Post

don't get me wrong, i don't want to bitch about mesa and their price politics, i just want to understand wheres the difference is

if you take fender or marshall or vox in comparison, they have absolutely great amps at around 1000 to 1500euros. most of their products are price below, yes there are some custom shop stuff way above, but that's the minority.

mesa has nothing which is below 2000euro's

yes mesa amps often have more channels, yes every channel has its own controls (and control circuits) and yes some of them seem quite complex and feature heavy.

but what do i miss at fender/vox/marshall amps, which the mesa would give me and justifies paying more than twice as much as paying for any other amp, beside the feature heaviness and the made in the usa?

what kind of player would need a mesa, cause a single or multiple fender/marshall/vox amp(s) cannot full fill the needs of that player

is it only the handmade usa and the brand or is there something more, which you don't get if you haven't played any mesa amp before?

I do get that they are, of course, more expensive in Europe than they are in their country of origin. But I don't get that they cost twice as much.

There are European makers that make feature-laden, channel-switching amps that are probably as good as Mesas, like Brunetti, Engl, Marble, Hook, M

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GDan

View Post

Are you in the UK? Distribution has a lot to do with it.

but this also quite the same with fender, not only new also the vintage amps are cheaper in the u.s. than in europe.

beside that, what makes mesa that special?

also in respect to the comments tremster made above?

• Members

I picked up a new Mark V from the Mesa store in Hollywood. The new price was up there but it was the same price as my Matchless and Dr Z. It has much better sound, features, etc. IMHO.

Not sure what cranks the price up ... Probably just the made in USA thing. It was worth it though. I f'n love love love this amp. Also, I see them on Craigslist for wayyyy less than new costs. I'd just snag one there if you don't like the new price. Most of these people seem to have the transferable warranty as well.

Archived