What will Roland's new synth be? Speculate here..

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, come on, guys... just... stop.

... it is only a boring new synth. Over priced and sounding like tons of other gear, with no sequencer. Bernard loves it. CR hates it (?). We all can agree we have no agreement.

Now, let's move into new gear to hate or love.

• Members

NO SEQUENCER!!?!?!

torch-and-pitchfork.jpg

I really didn't know that. 3k and no sequencer!? man that thing really had better shake and zip me back up at that price..
:eek:

back to your thread now.

As far as I know it does not record midi either, just a USB pen drive for one audio track... More detail will come out, but yep no sequencer...

• Members

one audio track? so it just streams whatever you're playing to disk?

As far as I know... to the pen drive... I am sure more details will emerge, dare I say they may add features, assume they will only develop some basic things like extra voices or VA features but it looks like no sequencer planned, not the focus of the board

• Members

Audio Playback From USB flash drive

MIDI Sequencer TBD

Well there you go.. It seems the USB drive is to play back MP3s as accompaniment and they may rewrite the OS to have a sequencer. give that it's possible to recode the OS to include one, judging from the specs, Roland is going to need to work extra hard to sell this to early adopters.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Jupiter80/

As far as I can tell, it's out right now.. and if you look at the spec list, there's quite a few "TBDs". My guess: roland announced this before it was finished. My bad, it's on preorder.

• Members

very odd. I dont know what the advantage of that is..
:idk:
unless it's so you can listen to your performance and don't want to record the whole band or something..

It's like the GAIA they through in various odd bit, like a mini audio in plug with center cancel. I may never use that, same with this USB if it just record audio (don't know for sure yet) then I may never use it. I guess the pen drive will double for software loads or they may just stick to the other PC link on the back... not really worried by these bits

• Members

Yes. I'm a big Roland and Yamaha fan but...

...the Kronos is feature packed and priced right.

:thu:

For sure if you need the stuff on the Kronos, its a stunning package... Really like what they did with that, the right move for Korg

• Members

JP-80 is not a workstation.

I know a lot of people who pay lots of bucks for old style synths that play only ONE note a time. (LOL...)

Well, at least expectating for a devastating sound from the JP-80. Some good 'RROOOOOOOAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR' and something diferent to makes me travel to distant dimensions...

• Members

notice I did say in the sweetwater description page MIDI SEQUENCER is listed as being "TBD" or To Be Determined.

So are you guys 100% certain is won't or could not have a sequencer even if it's for GM playback or arranging?

No offense, but those are the first hard facts i've seen other than forum discussion. So unless you have links that state something specific, anything is possible now and in the future.

unless you're tollin.. i'm sure you be trollin..

• Members

notice I did say in the sweetwater description page MIDI SEQUENCER is listed as being "TBD" or
T
o
B
e
D
etermined.

I've had positive experiences with Sweetwater Music, but I put more trust in Roland's own product page than Sweetwater's. Roland's page does not mention a sequencer. The "song player" on their page appears to be nothing more than an audio file player.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1165

I am not trolling.

"TBD" means "NOT YET" but it could also mean "COULD NEVER HAPPEN". ;)

I do not see any dedicated buttons to the sequencer.

Of course, they could implement it entirely on the touch screen, but having to press play / record on the touch screen is lame.

Add $3 dollars to the cost and gimme god damned dedicated hardware buttons :evil:

Actually, it is the lack of more physical controllers what makes me wonder the actual value of this synth.

Sounds nice, but... 4 faders? Really?

• Members

I could see if upgrades were in the works or even if it was upgradable.. that would make more sense.. but as it is, a huge piece of the puzzle is missing, I think anyway.

Don't hold out for a multi channel sequencer.... I suspect the CPU is just working flat out on sound production... Seems not to be the focus of the board anyway...

ARP is there though

• Members

Don't hold out for a multi channel sequencer.... I suspect the CPU is just working flat out on sound production... Seems not to be the focus of the board anyway...

ARP is there though

I didn't know you worked for Roland Bernie, can you get us an employee discount?

:poke: L:lol:L

Archived