What will Roland's new synth be? Speculate here..

• Members

My GAS for the JP80 is gone.

I am enjoying my Juno Gi and patting myself on the back for overcoming it's inadequacies. Makes me want to tackle the crippled Fantom G but I just love and prefer the different--clean sounds of the M3. This is why my Microstation remains in my live rig. It's piano is just naturally better than the Roland's, even though it does not get used as much any more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

did he wet himself towards the end of the unboxing, or was that just a shadow?
:lol:

LOL .. I was expecting the foam to fly off when he lifted it like that, may be he did have a slight unexpected event ...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

jupiter-80_ss_organ_gal.jpg

jupiter-80_ss_ac_piano_gal.jpg

jupiter-80_ss_e_piano_gal.jpg

jupiter-80_ss_mallet_gal.jpg

You know, I can't afford it at this point and even if I could, I'd have to think long and hard about whether I'd want to trade anything in I have for it, but it's this kind of attention, regardless of the underpinnings, to making control of modelled instruments intuitive to someone thinking in terms of the specific nuances of those instruments, that really, really appeals to me. It makes me think the JP-80 is designed primarily around thinking about the sound, and how it's going to feel for a musician to work with the instrument, less around the technicalities of electronic synthesis and sampling (for which we still have the V-Synth as Roland's ultimate statement in that area).

It's like, you could argue forever about whether the "physical modelling" underneath the interfaces is good, or as good as X, or is "really" physical modelling, etc., but you'd be missing the point: it's whether or not it works as designed, on this instrument, to do what a player of the modelled instrument wants to control. And so far, from what I've seen online, the JP-80 is pretty sensible in that regard.

• Members

Those synth strings sounded a LOT like the SH-201 (which I like, of course - a real VA is welcome, even though a lot of people don't seem to like Roland's flavor anymore). That piano sounded a bit EP-like fake, in the highest registers.

Edit: and also, still do not want.

• Members

it would be high on my list if i was shopping for a hardware keyboard to mimic instruments like trumpet, violins etc.

But thanks to my limited budget i simply stick with my softwareinstruments and call it a day. But the JP-80 is really the only piece of hardware that gets close to the level of realism that can otherwise only be achieved with advanced Kontakt instruments.

• Members

Dr. Wu, man I'd love to hear it/play it in person, but what you say doesn't surprise me at all; I'm sure that's the market Roland are going after (realism in simulation of non-synthesizer instruments).

Have we exhausted everything synths can contribute to the sound palette at this point? Haven't we been given all the chances in the world to create "new" sounds? Have the results been all that compelling? Do we need another synth that does synth-y stuff really well? All existential questions, as far as I'm concerned.

And with JP-80, and Kronos too, for that matter, and certainly Kontakt 4, we've certainly almost reached the pinnacle of electronic simulation of acoustic instruments, at least in terms of final sonic results. The real advances yet to be made are in control interface design.

• Members

im kinda am more interested in this rather than kronos, because it compliments my other boards, rather than attempting to replace them.

That's my impression too. I like it.

I've said it before. Take away pianos & acoustic guitars and I'm a lot more impressed with the sounds on the Jupiter 80 than I am with the sounds on the KRONOS. That's based on the demos I've heard.

The KRONOS sounds like my M3m. That's good . But the Jupiter 80 sounds like something totally different. And what I've heard - I really like.

I don't want either one now. 5 years down the road - yeah - given the choice. I'd spring for a JP80.

(Unless KRONOS had a different version of KARMA than my M3m).

• Members

Dr. Wu, man I'd love to hear it/play it in person, but what you say doesn't surprise me at all; I'm sure that's the market Roland are going after (realism in simulation of non-synthesizer instruments).

Have we exhausted everything synths can contribute to the sound palette at this point? Haven't we been given all the chances in the world to create "new" sounds? Have the results been all that compelling? Do we need another synth that does synth-y stuff really well? All existential questions, as far as I'm concerned.

And with JP-80, and Kronos too, for that matter, and certainly Kontakt 4,
we've certainly almost reached the pinnacle of electronic simulation of acoustic instruments, at least in terms of final sonic results. The real advances yet to be made are in control interface design.

Remember how great a Roland D50 sounded? Remember how great the 8 bit string pad on a Kawai K1 sounded? (I still use that sound today.)

At some point, synth companies got side-tracked. They strived to recreate the "real" rather than create patches that sounded good. They got caught up in the bit rate rat race. I'd be very happy if Rompler manufacturers went back to creating patches that sounded good - instead of patches that sound real.

What sounds 'real' doesn't necessarily sound good. And what sounds good often does not sound real.

• Members

well, Etienne Rambert, to me, hmmm, there are some sounds that needs supernatural/superarticulation and this jp80 certainly excels and at a lower cost than a yamaha tyros

I do want a comparison with kronos/motif xf on the sound+behaviour of acoustic instruments like woodwinds, violins, brass

or maybe i have too much korgs and no rolands (except an audio interface)

• Members

Etienne,

I agree with you, basically. Although I think it's mainly a question of synth companies trying to go after areas of R&D that hadn't been pushed previously: improved sampling without artifacts, more work on the areas of micro-articulation (primarily in the attack phase of a note) that limited synths' expressiveness compared with non-electronic instruments, more work on the dynamic changing of timbre linked to playing style, etc. etc. From the mass audience perspective, a lot of these things don't really matter. For a few instrumentalists who care about these details, they really do.

But yes, it's been an ongoing debate out there and in my head as to whether "a really cool synth sound" on a synth vs. "a really good, expressive, neutral instrument that in itself doesn't sound like anything, until an instrumentalist really digs into it" is "better," somehow. The problem with distinctive, unusual synth sounds is that they all too often quickly turn into cliches that are tiresome to the ear (cf. D50 for example). Complex, "interesting" patches are harder to tweak to make your own without feeling like you're "just playing someone else's music," and even if you've made one of your own of those, then it feels like "I'm just playing this cool idea I had in the past and I'm tired of it." Simple, expressive, instrument-like patches aren't the same instant ear-candy, though, and so you have to work harder, as a musician, to make something of those. I've gotten to the point where that's what I prefer, except for the times when I'm tired and just want to entertain myself without a lot of thought or effort. :)

• Members

Remember how great a Roland D50 sounded?

I was thinking the other day about the first time I got to sit and play the D50.

It was 1988, in a music store in Albany, New York. I'd been looking long and hard at the DX-7 II FD at that time. Then along came the D50, and I was frankly blown away. The range of sounds and instrument types that it did WELL was really amazing. The solo brass had the sound of real 'spit' in the PCM sampled attacks, and the section patches had that 'blare' you'd hear in a real brass section. You could hear the sound of bow against strings in the string patches. The electric bass sounds had slap and twang to them. The pipes and shakuhachi sounds had grit and 'air' in them. Bells sounded metallic and mallets sounded wooden. The list goes on. I was in love.

Just an amazing instrument for the time. I ended up getting the D50 within a month of that first exposure in 1988, and I still have it.

Archived