What will Roland's new synth be? Speculate here..

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Let's see...blast from the past eh?.....Alpha Juno 1? JX3P? No wait, I've got it....E10! I agree with Mate - destined to be Epic Fail. (Unless they have their own version of the Kronos waiting in the wings, then MAYBE I'll pay attention.)

• Members

Hmm... pictures of a violinist and a sax player in the teaser? It's a reissue of one of Roland's "legendary" ROMplers, no doubt. Cakewalk SoundCanvas maybe?

Seriously, the only thing that I'd be semi-excited for from Roland would be a Roland Legacy Collection VST, similar to Korg's -- and even then, the only thing I'd likely buy would be an "M1-esque" XP/JV-series VST with all the expansion cards included. I'm actually rather fond of that series. The XP-50 was my first "professional" board and I did a *ton* of production cues with the JV/XP/XV soundsets, so I'd be into it for the nostalgia factor...

• Members

An updated V-Synth, with updated AP Synthesis. The legend is a System 100 modular - so the new V-Synth woudl have a nice big touchscreen for patching the new virtual System 100.

I'm probably wrong. It's the new V-Nose Flute.

• Members

This is just in:

Jupiter F (meaning Fantom)

Multi core music system. Fourteen (!) different engines, including sampler, acoustic piano, electric piano, pipe organ, electric organ, acoustic emulator (brass and strings mode sharing 512 polyphony), choir emulator, solo voice emulator, string machine, Jupiter VA, JD-990 emulator, D-50 emulator (both JD-990 and D-50 emulator can use more than 7500 waveforms found in rompler mode), TR-808 emulator and unavoidable rompler with every waveform Roland ever produced, plus gigatons of best sounds free to download and use it in 4GB sampler (mentioned above), expandable to 32 gigabytes with PC slot memory. Every engine has 512 polyphony. No limitation in use of 128 MIDI chanells and easy to use Sequencer (also 128 MIDI channels, setting the new standard) over the build in 19" touchscreen or with PC monitor, since Jupiter F has both RGB and digital output for PC monitors (and graphic card to run). Built in 1TB hard disc. Standard 61, 76 and 88 keys offered in 3 finishes - quality synth action, waterfall, and hammer. Just dreaming, guyz!

• Members

This is just in:

Jupiter F (meaning Fantom)

Multi core music system. Fourteen (!) different engines, including sampler, acoustic piano, electric piano, pipe organ, electric organ, acoustic emulator (brass and strings mode sharing 512 polyphony), choir emulator, solo voice emulator, string machine, Jupiter VA, JD-990 emulator, D-50 emulator (both JD-990 and D-50 emulator can use more than 7500 waveforms found in rompler mode), TR-808 emulator and unavoidable rompler with every waveform Roland ever produced, plus gigatons of best sounds free to download and use it in 4GB sampler (mentioned above), expandable to 32 gigabytes with PC slot memory. Every engine has 512 polyphony. No limitation in use of 128 MIDI chanells and easy to use Sequencer (also 128 MIDI channels, setting the new standard) over the build in 19" touchscreen or with PC monitor, since Jupiter F has both RGB and digital output for PC monitors (and graphic card to run). Built in 1TB hard disc. Standard 61, 76 and 88 keys offered in 3 finishes - quality synth action, waterfall, and hammer. Just dreaming, guyz!

Hope you're right. But even so, no KARMA. There is no feature like that on the market.

Only Korg & Yamaha are going to have it.

Roland has a lot of brand loyalty. Korg & Yamaha have Karma.

I personally like Roland's UI better than Korg or Yamaha.

But with no Karma? It's a non-starter for me, unfortunately too. I'd love to have a Roland w/Karma.

• Members

The guy in the video is carrying under his arm what looks to be a MIDI/USB controller, with a single line of knobs across the right panel. The picture that's easier to see is a mirror image, since there is no pitch bend joystick on the visible end of the keyboard. Maybe a Roland legacy Jupiter VST with dedicated controller.

• Members

Hmm... pictures of a violinist and a sax player in the teaser? It's a reissue of one of Roland's "legendary" ROMplers, no doubt. Cakewalk SoundCanvas maybe?

Roland MT-3200!!

I would love it if they came out with a Roland D-50 in VST format... other than that, I'm not expecting them to release something that I want.

• Members

just like how JunoG is carrying juno's legacy
:facepalm:

Legacy of what exactly? Analog synths from the 80s specializing in strings? Is that what Roland had in mind when they first made the Junos? At the time, the goal was to make synthesis more affordable. "Juno", to them, means "affordable version of our flagship", which the current Juno line certainly represents.

The TB-303 was originally designed to accurately emulate a bass guitar. And initially, it tanked because... it sucked at emulating bass guitars. Were Roland to release a TB-3030, it would most likely be something akin to Trillian's electric and acoustic bass emulation in a box, not a step-based squelch box for dance music.

• Members

I think the V-Kazoo is looking more and more likely.

It's odd that, of all the major synth companies, Roland is the one sitting on the richest legacy of well-remembered synths from the 80s and 90s. There IS no other company that has released as many genuine classics that people still talk about today -- the TR808, TR909, Jupiter 8, original Juno series, D-50, JD-800/990, MC series, TB-303, even the JV/XP series.

I find it baffling that in all these years they've failed to really capitalize on this. The demand for reissues of 80s Roland gear was the reason Rebirth was so hugely popular in the late 90s, for example.

If they took the JP-8000 idea further and updated it with more voices, increased multitimbrality, 61 keys, a lot of dedicated knobs, a better display, and while we're at it, maybe a TR808/TR909 section, I think it would sell very well.

Or hell, just make a dedicated controller as described and bundle it with a JP/TB/TR VST suite. The Korg Legacy collection proved that the idea is commercially viable, and theirs came with a cheap little mini key controller.

• Members

I'd love to have a Roland w/Karma.

Let's get Stephen Kay on the phone. Anything is possible...

I'm just not a fan of Roland anymore, but a new "game changer" keyboard would be a step in the right direction for them. The Fantom G seems to have been a big disappointment for many.

• Members

The Korg Legacy collection proved that the idea is commercially viable, and theirs came with a cheap little mini key controller.

I was once told by a close friend - who was also a Korg Rep, that the Legacy collection was HEAVILY pirated to the point that Korg were unsure if there was ANY profit to be made with such offerings in the future. While I agree that it IS a great idea, and delivered killer sounds to the masses for low dough, I tend to believe him when he says they never really made much money back on the venture. Hence I think that explains why they are going in the direction of using that type of software inside a hardware unit (Oasys, Kronos) - it's hard to pirate hardware. Roland seems to be on a similar path with things like Sonic Cell, VS700, V-Synth GT (as opposed to the HyperCanvas / Orchestral HQ software et al.) The exception being the license of Jupiter 8 to Arturia. I wonder how well THAT went, profit-wise?

• Members

Jupiter Z with V-synth, and JD-990, JD-800, D50 engine(samples) with 24bit/48KHz is my bet, but the promo video has acoustic instruments in it?

The sounds in the Promo sounds like JD or D-50 to me, and really good.

If they do a new workstation I really hope they endeavor them selves to make it a real deep synthesizer with analog sounding quality like JD-990.

It would be nice if they show some muscles and be the first to have 256 voices in a workstation and fx on every channel and AU, VST plug-in function like Access!

Or they go all AU, VST workstation!

I am prepared to be disappointed! it could be the new V-synth accordion?

• Members

mididoc!

If they make a keyboard controller as a hardware dongle it is very hard to pirate!

:eek:

Well, you would think so - but evidently plenty of software-only versions of the Legacy collection exist that don't require any hardware specifically. Not trying to pick a fight or argue, but it WAS cracked and that caused Korg to take a step back.

Archived