What will Roland's new synth be? Speculate here..

• Members

Since my M3m is starting to crap out on me, I will probably end up getting a KRONOS sooner, rather than later.

I didn't want one. But unlike CoolColJ - KARMA is not 'cool' for me. It is a necessity. It's the whole reason I bought Korg this time.I'd much prefer a Roland UI and JP80 sounds. But KARMA is a necessity. And Yamaha stuff is too difficult to use.

The whole thing with KARMA & the M3 is tactile orchestrating in real time, as the music plays. A song reaches a point, you push a button and change the KARMA setting. That sends the song off in a whole new direction.

All of my compositions lately have incorporated changing KARMA at certain points. Push a button - you're there. I never had anything like that before. I think it's the most powerful composition tool since MIDI.

So it's a necessity for me.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There are a lot of buttons on the JP80 that seem to be wasted.
The layout and functions, do not seem to be intuitive as well.
I don't know which group they're trying to cater to, but it's seems like a niche item as it is now. In "no man's land"...

If the Kronos sounded as nice as the JP80 and was better built, I would have definitely walked out of there with one. The features and specs are good on paper, but at the end of the day, build and sound quality mean a lot to me if I'm paying for something new, in that price range.

----

Funny thing I didn't mention, there was a Jupter 6 in the shop, which was supposed to be used for comparison with the JP80 in the seminar I skipped - guess they didn't get around to that :p

• Members

I really like how this board sounds. But I have to say, I'm avoiding gas on this and the Kronos, and instead, found a good deal on a slightly used S70XS for 1500 bucks. It'll do everything my S90ES does, in a little smaller, lighter package. The money I save I'm going to put towards a couple K12's for my PA system. But I really do like this Jupiter, I can't wait to see one in person and hear how fat it sounds up close.

• Members

I think it sounds really good.

Do you think Roland could/would release the VA part as a separate synth like what they did with V-synth and SH-201. I would like a big, slider-laden, pref 61-key top shelf VA like a real successor to the JP8000. Call it a JX or something idk. Granted they already have GAIA but that feels more like a budget synth and I'd pay a bit more for this imaginary synth. Or is the VA engine too integrated into the rest of what Jupiter 80 does or is the market just not there?

• Members

I think it sounds really good.

Do you think Roland could/would release the VA part as a separate synth like what they did with V-synth and SH-201. I would like a big, slider-laden, pref 61-key top shelf VA like a real successor to the JP8000. Call it a JX or something idk. Granted they already have GAIA but that feels more like a budget synth and I'd pay a bit more for this imaginary synth. Or is the VA engine too integrated into the rest of what Jupiter 80 does or is the market just not there?

The GAIA style synth in the Jupiter 80 is well suited to layering with itself or the supernatural stuff. I would really hope that if Roland bring out a new synth, that it has more routing and as you say lots of sliders and pots...

Archived