What will Roland's new synth be? Speculate here..

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ChristianRock claims the Roland oscilators do not oscilate...
:facepalm:

CR did they not teach you these things in school, very basic.

Listen to the above demo, its so good, sounds like oscilation to me
:lol:

You have so much to learn ...
:cop:

:wave:

Thanks for attacking me personally for not liking the product of the company you represent.

My remark was actually a quote from another poster, in another forum, and it's related to the fact that I believe that like the Gaia, the synth sounds in the JP-80 are samples, not free running oscillators. The phrase therefore was tongue-in-cheek, saying the oscillators play samples rather than "oscillate". I think most people would know what I did there.

You do nothing but shill for Roland on the internet. You should stop. You are not doing Roland any good. Especially when you go to other forums and spread lies like this:

"McHale has already admitted if the Jupiter-80 sounds and plays well he will dump the Kronos and buy one...

He does not want 88 piano action keys, he is pretty buggered by the current Korg offering...

He is a sensible lad ..."

Link is here.

• Members

ChristianRock claims the Roland oscilators do not oscilate...
:facepalm:

CR did they not teach you these things in school, very basic.

Listen to the above demo, its so good, sounds like oscilation to me
:lol:

You have so much to learn ...
:cop:

:wave:

That was a good video but the background music sucked ass and ruined it.

It's the same music they played when Bruce Willis and his team was flying to the asteroid to save all mankind.

• Members

Roland would be shooting themselves in the foot if they discontinued the Fantom and V-Synth line without a replacement. It would leave too large a gap in their pricing tiers, and it would leave them without a true workstation. As it is, Korg and Yamaha are apparently selling quite a few sub-$1500 workstations that are light versions of their higher end workstations. They have a much more diverse array of budget workstations, and they seem to be outselling the Juno line by a healthy margin.

I still think Roland would have had a winner if they'd released a workstation with all JV and SRX sounds on board. Give it a decent sequencer and 8 audio tracks, D-beam, piano mode, sampling, a couple USB ports, and price it under $2,000. People would be dumping their old JV, XP, and XV modules and buying it just for the sounds alone. Forget trying to win over Yamaha and Korg users. Get the people who are still using 90s and early 2000s Roland gear to finally upgrade. There are still a LOT of XP, JV, and XV users out there.

One of Roland's problems is when they make something that's good and unique, they price it out of most people's reach. Sales of the V-Synth GT and Fantom G suffered because they were just too damn expensive. This seems to be the consensus so far on the Jupiter-80. It sounds good, but I just wouldn't pay that much for it. This is what I said about the V-Synth GT.

And while they're at it, they need to stop putting out VAs that don't have a display.

... btw, I appreciate Dr. Wu's contributions to this thread, first ones I've seen on the internet that start to talk about actual experience with hearing the actual instrument; thank you, Dr. Wu, I'm with you. ;)

zoink, I think you hit the nail on the head: this is a debut instrument in a new category for Roland. If they'd done what you suggest, everyone would be railing about Roland "just remixing old technology yet again." People keep complaining about synthesizer companies doing that, and then when Roland puts out V-Synth, or this, everyone goes crazy about how it's too expensive and it's not what they were hoping for and expecting, at all.

Also, in my opinion (note those important words as preface!), it would really be pointless at this point for Roland (or Korg or Yamaha, for that matter) to try to "go analogue." From a simple fabrication point of view, it would require such a substantial re-tooling of manufacturing plants for such a small actual audience it wouldn't make any sense, even from a pure "just for the love of it" point of view. What these companies would have to charge for their efforts to grow a synth equivalent of a micro-brewery internally would make it prohibitive for them. Although yes, when you get someone passionate enough about something like that, sometimes you end up with something like Playstation (the original) as a result, and it turns the whole company on its head.....

.... anyways, at this point in this economy, unfortunately, JP-80's priced way out of my league for now. But if I did have the money, it'd easily fit, I think, in the same category as V-Synth, MV-8800, Voyager, Andromeda, etc. as a distinct instrument well worth the investment that will last for many years as its own, unique thing. And when you realize that a high-quality trombone, violin, piano, clarinet, etc. are EASILY within this same price range.... it's really not a bad price at all.

• Members

agreed...

I guarantee that I'll be trying one out when it comes out. I try out all of Roland's (and Yamaha's) gear when it's released (assuming I can find a place that carries it). If it gives me GAS when playing it, I'll come home with it.

We all know McHale did not want piano action, as the action on this keyboard suits him better, he is big enough to try it and said the above... No drama

Come on CR.. if you want to hate Roland that is fine, but don't go on so much that you post this kindof stuff, you may risk getting banned:

''christianrock wrote:

OK if Bernard opens up his "Jupiter-80 lovers only thread, anyone else joining will be banned" thread, I will so bomb it. I'm not even kidding. I'm already preparing the lulz.''

• Members

Where's the quote where McHale says he's buggered by the current Korg offering? In fact just yesterday he said, "Trust me, nobody wants that Kronos more than I do.".

Where's the part where he says he will drop the Kronos?

You just made all that up - and in a different forum where McHale won't know about it, to defend him self.

And KSS is no place to ban people if they don't like a particular synth, so yes your thread will be bombed. You've done enough shilling for the Gaia already. Your Roland bosses must be proud.

By the way, you never flatly denied this. You've said something like "How could I work for Roland when I can't even play" but you never said "No, I do not work for Roland or any of its distributors in any way, and I do not benefit from Roland financially". And you probably know that public forum information can be used in legal proceedings...

• Members

Where's the quote where McHale says he's buggered by the current Korg offering? In fact just yesterday he said, "
Trust me, nobody wants that Kronos more than I do.
".

Where's the part where he says he will drop the Kronos?

You just made all that up - and in a different forum where McHale won't know about it, to defend him self.

And KSS is no place to ban people if they don't like a particular synth, so yes your thread will be bombed. You've done enough shilling for the Gaia already. Your Roland bosses must be proud.

By the way, you never flatly denied this. You've said something like "How could I work for Roland when I can't even play" but you never said "No, I do not work for Roland or any of its distributors in any way, and I do not benefit from Roland financially". And you probably know that public forum information can be used in legal proceedings...

With respect, you linked to me commenting, anyone who follows the link can see it is me talking and not quoting... but hey don't let the FACTS get in your way :lol:

You are a scream.

I have never worked for Roland or any other music company.

It's just a hobby for me...

As an aside I am thankful this lulzy joke of yours was not to say I was a Roland fanboy, coz every time I tried to ask a question or comment at Roland Clan I was pretty much attacked by the fan boys, I guess they thought I did not like Roland :facepalm: ... You just gotta love the internetz hey... :)

• Members

Get a room you two u_u. Angry sex is the best.

Anyway, it still is a hideous looking synth. What are the knobs beneath the keybed for anyway? Who puts knobs there?

Kronos is so much sexier and (from the demo's) better sounding u_u.

God I hate Roland.

Kontakt 4 ftw.

• Members

Get a room you two u_u. Angry sex is the best.

Anyway, it still is a hideous looking synth. What are the knobs beneath the keybed for anyway? Who puts knobs there?

Kronos is so much sexier and (from the demo's) better sounding u_u.

God I hate Roland.

Kontakt 4 ftw.

Please don't to be in a room when he is like this... now that is scary ... LOL

• Members

I don't get scared easily. I can get scary myself though u_u.

I am afraid to admit I love the look of it... what will he say if I... wait ... what ... I have gone and said it now ... oh brother I will never hear the end of it ... LOL

• Members

Oh and by the way CR, well done for posting a link to a thread where you bad mouth loads of people on this forum behind their back...

Classic.... LOL

I don't say things there that I don't say here... I'm already known to be outspoken. If anything, I've defended some people here (like Paolo) over there.

Other than that, I've had lots of differences of opinion with people like Diametro, what's new? It's gotten ugly over here at KSS before...

I've got nothing to hide, do you?

But in order to no further disrupt conversations, I'm putting you on ignore.

Archived