What will Roland's new synth be? Speculate here..

• Members

It will not surprise me if they one day bring out a knobby mega VA... They are probably working on it now...

Bernard, you ALSO think that Kurzweil is going to secretly release the VA-1, and that assuredly is off the table for years, if at all. (we discussed this in another thread)

I think you are genuinely optimistic (and I don't think you work for Roland) but I also think you are moderately delusional. But it a good way. I think you SHOULD keep your head in the clouds. Its more fun up there.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bernard, you ALSO think that Kurzweil is going to secretly release the VA-1, and that assuredly is off the table for years, if at all. (we discussed this in another thread)

I think you are genuinely optimistic (and I don't think you work for Roland) but I also think you are moderately delusional. But it a good way. I think you SHOULD keep your head in the clouds. Its more fun up there.

APPROVED

• Members

wasn't the JP-8000 a much better follow-up to the Jupiter-8 than this crap?

Some would say that the JP-8000 was limited others would like it, none would compare to the sound versatility of this thing, I can see why they are proud if you disregard the slightly immature reaction to the Jupiter name being used again...

• Members

i see the Jupiter-8 and JP-8000 as both being about analog sound and a lot of physical interface to interact with. this new thing looks more like a mediocre controller keyboard with a laptop integrated into it.

• Members

i see the Jupiter-8 and JP-8000 as both being about analog sound and a lot of physical interface to interact with. this new thing looks more like a mediocre controller keyboard with a laptop integrated into it.

I like it lots ;-)

• Members

I really think it has to do with the economy why this doesn't have a lot of physical sliders and knobs. It's just getting very expensive to build instruments, or anything for that matter in Japan or most anywhere. The rising costs of materials, labor, healthcare are all having their impacts.

Those impacts are clearly apparent visually looking at the barren real estate right of the touch screen on JP-80.

• Members

News from the Development Team @ Roland:

''Artemiy - the final version is VA, not sampled waveforms. There were many phases in the development. You are only referring to phase 1, but a very important phase, and glad you were a part of it!''

• Members

i heard the Jupiter in Frankfurt and it sure sounds awesome.

The sample section rivals the best softwaresamplers in terms of realism and ease of use and the sounds load instantly.

The ability to layer 10 parts on the keyboard and still have enough horsepower to play with both hands allows for some incredibly rich and fatsounding textures. The original Jupiters (4,6 and 8) were trying to emulate real sounds using the technology that was available at the time and now finally Roland has released an instrument that actually fulfills that promise. After all their company slogan is "We design the future" and not "We recreate the past". There are quite some analog polysynth on the market-this thing is different. It combines a lot of sonic power into one pretty amazing performance instrument.

• Members

The original Jupiters (4,6 and 8) were trying to emulate real sounds using the technology that was available at the time and now finally Roland has released an instrument that actually fulfills that promise. After all their company slogan is "We design the future" and not "We recreate the past". There are quite some analog polysynth on the market-this thing is different. It combines a lot of sonic power into one pretty amazing performance instrument.

This brings up an important point, though. There are at least two programs that are ongoing, both of them quests for authenticity. There is acoustic realism (which Roland touts in the Jupiter-80), and there is also realism in synthesis. Synths such as the original Jupiters (and others) created their own purism of sound. Regardless of what the Jupiter 4, 6, and 8 were originally intended to be, the more important discussion is over what the Jupiters ended up actually succeeding in creating, which is why the name "Jupiter" means anything today. Roland should realize that analog synthesis has its own cachet, and that the significance of "Jupiter" is not acoustic realism. If it were, then they might as well release an updated TB-303 that sounds EXACTLY like an accompanying bass guitar, and while they're at it, the new TR-8080 and 9090 will sound like Buddy Rich incarnate.

In other words, artificial sound is also an important part of "designing the future" -- i.e. to not only get back to how 'real' pianos sound, but how 'real' analog synths sound.

• Members

In other words, artificial sound is also an important part of "designing the future" -- i.e. to not only get back to how 'real' pianos sound, but how 'real' analog synths sound.

I agree. A great deal of the music I create is based on sounds most people aren't familiar with. I rarely look for realistic acoustic sound in my music; I prefer the synthetic because it's more original and unique and can evoke a very different mood. That's what a lot of early synthesizer music was all about.

:thu:

• Members

Can you load your own samples into the thing?

i dont think so but i was more refering to the way Kontakt handles things like portamento, autolegato, hammerons etc using scripting technology. The JP is a lot like that and definetly stands out from other romplers like the Fantom etc. f.e. the pitchbender in the JP-80 sounds very convincing if used with sounds like trumpet or sax.

Scott Tibbs played some incredibly realistic sounding big band brass examples during his demo that were in the same league as the samplemodelling instruments.

I was also impressed by some patches where he mixed real sounds with synthetic ones.

It reminded me of the hybrid sounds that Omnisphere is so good at.

The way he explained it was that the JP is more of an additive synth where you can combine and layer large amounts of partials from a giant pool that will gel into one massive sound.

• Members

Hopefully the V-synth and Fantom are not dead but knowing Roland they are. Varios dead, ARX dead, proper MC-909 successor dead.

:cry:

Roland would be shooting themselves in the foot if they discontinued the Fantom and V-Synth line without a replacement. It would leave too large a gap in their pricing tiers, and it would leave them without a true workstation. As it is, Korg and Yamaha are apparently selling quite a few sub-$1500 workstations that are light versions of their higher end workstations. They have a much more diverse array of budget workstations, and they seem to be outselling the Juno line by a healthy margin.

I still think Roland would have had a winner if they'd released a workstation with all JV and SRX sounds on board. Give it a decent sequencer and 8 audio tracks, D-beam, piano mode, sampling, a couple USB ports, and price it under $2,000. People would be dumping their old JV, XP, and XV modules and buying it just for the sounds alone. Forget trying to win over Yamaha and Korg users. Get the people who are still using 90s and early 2000s Roland gear to finally upgrade. There are still a LOT of XP, JV, and XV users out there.

One of Roland's problems is when they make something that's good and unique, they price it out of most people's reach. Sales of the V-Synth GT and Fantom G suffered because they were just too damn expensive. This seems to be the consensus so far on the Jupiter-80. It sounds good, but I just wouldn't pay that much for it. This is what I said about the V-Synth GT.

And while they're at it, they need to stop putting out VAs that don't have a display.

• Members

[video=youtube;4fVlgrro5cQ]

ChristianRock claims the Roland oscilators do not oscilate... :facepalm:

CR did they not teach you these things in school, very basic.

Listen to the above demo, its so good, sounds like oscilation to me :lol:

You have so much to learn ... :cop:

:wave:

Archived