What will Roland's new synth be? Speculate here..

• Members

What am I missing here?

If we believe Roland art was working on a structured programme that gave him enough to create patch settings but was not the final coding. If you read on his forum he did not have a synth just a programme as I understand it.

When they build the actual synth they are saying the OSC's are calculated.

The GAIA layout has been used but it was clear extra features were on the first released editor picture.. apart from that reference to GAIA is only a big deal to those that want to trash the GAIA and the Jupiter-80 synth..

It is obviously a new synth structure on Jupiter-80 as it has a different effects set and many other features that differ from GAIA. In that sense alone they can say it is all new.

I think some should stop worrying and just see if it has the features they need and can make the sounds they want.

You like you buy you don't you won't ... simplez

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

1.) Obviously not an organ guy. Wish he played the organ "Like an Organ" sounded terrible in that context. Too bad.

2.) It's just befuddling that this is labeled as a Jupiter and in most Demos it's the SYNTH sounds that are the LEAST impressive.

3.) After hearing him riff with the Mediterranean sounds, It's only a matter of time until Jordan Rudess plays Paganini with a bagpipe and accordion on it. :rolleyes:

• Members

Scott Tibbs is a hugely skilled keyboard player. Too bad he works for Roland. The sounds in this vid are nothing special (except the nuances of the acoustic emulations), the piano sounds like crap. Also, I really hate it when a demonstrator constantly checks his sheet music to see what he has to play. Learn the parts, you get paid for it.

• Members

I don't know if it is the demos, the price, or the bad hype, but the GAS for this one subsides drastically every day. I think I would be making a huge financial mistake if I bought this machine. When I think of what $3,500.00 US. could buy music/gear wise. Let this one go RAZZ.

Wow that feels better already.

:cool:

• Members

I like the sounds I heard a lot - not $4k worth - but I liked them a lot.

Plus, I was really impressed with how easy it was for him to switch & bring in patches atop others. I've always liked Roland's UI. This one seems pretty easy for live playing.

I'm still not buying it. But this demo sends it up - over the KRONOS - to #1 on my list of synths I don't intend to buy. Owning an M3m, there isn't a lot I could use a KRONOS for (at least not for the music I play). But this synth might actually be useful to me.

• Members

At the moment it looks like it may not have the dept of tweaking on Supernatural that the ARX cards had. Still not sure as the screens shots may be an early release and other common features are not showing.

I caught up with my favorite pod cast over at sonicstate and it seems Nick (the guy that did not like the GAIA too much) was impressed with the overall sound. Nice to hear some very mature comments about their (Nick and Guests) take on the fuss about the name, seems they have witnessed so of the mouth foaming haters too over at Messe and on other forums :lol:

The guitar guest did not like the guitar sound he heard but then went on to say some of the other sounds were good and in use even the Guitar sounded OK when part of a performance.

Nick is one of the people that got invited to the behind the doors winter NAMM demo and he said they played at least 4 piano variants which he states sounded really good.

Seems all like they way everything was to hand and it seemed to be really aimed at live use and quick layering. One guy piped up and said about how you could do that on any old sampler but it seemed they still felt it had an edge in the way it did it speed wise with effects etc...

• Members

My GAS for the Jupiter-80 increases daily. I simply must have it. I have watched every video I can find, including a few that are not easily located. If I could download a pre-release copy of the owner's manual from an offshore server, I would really be happy.

The long wait time bothers me. Announce in April and ship in July or later? It seems like an eternity. The only good thing about a summer release is that supply is more plentiful than demand because a lot of people are spending their savings on a vacation instead of gear.

• Members

Well, I have had conversations with more keyboard players who talked about the Kronos than those who actually bought one. It seems like that's the norm with the Kronos - endless chatter about buying one some day, yet few actually do it. But with the Jupiter-80 it is hard to find videos beyond a simple youtube or Google search. You have to explore a lot of dead ends to get to the real thing.

• Members

Well, I have had conversations with more keyboard players who
talked
about the Kronos than those who actually
bought
one. It seems like that's the norm with the Kronos - endless chatter about buying one some day, yet few actually do it.

Well, to be fair, nobody's been able to buy a Kronos yet. Or, at least, nobody's been able to take delivery of their pre-orders yet.

• Members

Well, I have had conversations with more keyboard players who
talked
about the Kronos than those who actually
bought
one. It seems like that's the norm with the Kronos - endless chatter about buying one some day, yet few actually do it. But with the Jupiter-80 it is hard to find videos beyond a simple youtube or Google search. You have to explore a lot of dead ends to get to the real thing.

Maybe because Kronos isn't out yet? :rolleyes:

Archived