What will Roland's new synth be? Speculate here..

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was set to buy a Kronos, though I want to hear more before moving forward with that. The Kronos may be more suited to my needs though. The Jupiter might be more suited as a "2nd" synth down the road...

Personally, I thought the Sonic State demo was quite good, and pretty interesting, but I'm still not interested in the Jupiter-80. I've got a list of priorities for my gear upgrades, and making my thick pads even thicker isn't terribly high on that list. I'm still getting ready for a Kronos purchase, but the Jupiter-80 does leave me excited for whatever Roland eventually sends out to replace the V-Synth GT. (Seriously guys, if you don't name it the V-Synth GTO, you're missing out.)

• Members

Where do you see this?

Remember, you can detune a sample of a supersaw... with respect to the other payers of osc. That is very different from controlling the spread of the 7 saws as you could with a JP8000 or SH201.

jp_synth-640x384.jpg

• Members

Ok, I'll admit it: I like the idea of being able to do splits and layers super quickly on the fly.

But not with some cheeseball sax patch and a string section.

The interface is actually really interesting, and if the VA engine is decent, changing up a setup quickly is wildly useful.

The Howard Jones demo actually sounds pretty good. Far better than their hype video.

I will be interested in trying one out. But I expect to react similarly to the Gaia: it seems really cool, in sight and specs, and then I hear it...and it blows. But I will give it a chance.

That is impressive when you consider I'm a devout Roland-Hater. My first synth was a JX8p, which I came to hate, and then I tried and owned several other Rolands over the years, all of which I came to hate, and every synth of theirs that looked cool, and I tried I also hated. I've used lots of Boss stuff, but their lack of support in many ways have even caused me to hate them in the Boss arena too.

I even hate the sound of their beloved Jupiter 6s and 8s. There! I said it. Not a fan. Don't like the Jupiter 8. Don't give a crap about a Jupiter namesake. But I'll give the JP-80 a chance, I guess. I s'pose everybody deserves a second chance.

• Members

Personally, I thought the Sonic State demo was quite good, and pretty interesting, but I'm still not interested in the Jupiter-80. I've got a list of priorities for my gear upgrades, and making my thick pads even thicker isn't terribly high on that list. I'm still getting ready for a Kronos purchase, but the Jupiter-80 does leave me excited for whatever Roland eventually sends out to replace the V-Synth GT. (Seriously guys, if you don't name it the V-Synth GTO, you're missing out.)

Count me amongst those that think a 1:1 comparison between this and the Kronos is kind of a moot point, since the Kronos has full-blown workstation features. I for one, think it's great that this is a "signature instrument" without sequencing built-in. For those of us not interested in Kronos (it's a nice board, but I already have much of it covered by my Oasys investment -- the difference in features between the O and the K is not worth the expense to me...), another synth with interesting sounds and layering capabilities might be a nice addition to the studio. Is my curiosity piqued enough to actually purchase? Unlikely, unless it's *really* reasonably-priced.

• Members

I think this is like the Moog Voyager; it'll be very satisfying to a specific audience looking for its capabilities.

For everyone else who likes to scream on the internet and isn't busy doing it as part of the Republican party, it'll just be another opportunity to, er, well, scream on the internet.

• Members

The Howard Jones doesn't sound that great to me. Gaia sounds drenched in good effects. Reverb sounds a lot like my Roland SRV-3030.

I think Korg has this covered just with the VA-1 engine... which exceeds this in quality and capability.

I think my Fusion's analog synth engine sounds better, honestly... though the effects on the JP-80 are better.

• Members

Watching this video confirms all the more what I said earlier about this synth's real lineage.

It's the D-500.

Hearing the videos, I think the heritage is more JP-8000 (with a few samples like piano thrown in for good measure).

Sadly, while hearing the Jupiter 80 videos, I was thinking, "hey, this sounds like a VST plugin on my computer!". I'm not even thinking there's much of a physical modeling angle on this anymore.

• Members

Wouldn't it be a laugh if the whole board went to mono mode when you switch on osc sync?
:facepalm::lol:

I'm sure it doesn't, but you never know with Roland.
:freak:

That and legato are things I will be checking when the User Manual comes out, although just like my beloved GAIA it will not stop me buying.. Price is all that matters I will try to get a good deal as normal (seems there will not be a big rush for them LOL)

I wish CR and his I work for Roland jokes were true, I am sure staff at Roland can get a wicked deal....

• Members

Hearing the videos, I think the heritage is more JP-8000 (with a few samples like piano thrown in for good measure).

Sadly, while hearing the Jupiter 80 videos, I was thinking, "hey, this sounds like a VST plugin on my computer!". I'm not even thinking there's much of a physical modeling angle on this anymore.

I based the comparison on several comments from their demo video, in which the announcer touts the Jupiter-80's on-board library of PCM sampled attacks and 4-partial tone structure -- all of which began with the D-50. Moreover, the emphasis on 'realism' is what the D-50 was all about.

• Members

So what justifies the price tag on this over the last model fantom? Do you think there will be spinoff technology that will make it's way into the next juno 80 perhaps?

Sadly, in the UK, the price of Roland gear shot up over the last two years, just think this could have been on sale at

• Members

were just going to have to wait until the review units go out and people really tear into the architecture to know where this stands, IMO. And this doesn't have a sequencer? but it has the ability to mix down to a usb stick, so it must in some form right?

I was curious once why the new work stations were heading towards the 3-4k mark but several people told me if you adjust for inflation they've more or less stayed the same. I guess I have to admit I dont know because I always used to use cubase to sequence and mixdown when i was using my Xp30 / N1 as I like the PC better.

VPvro.jpg

He's asian AND wearing glasses. He must be smart. If they included an old white guy in a lab coat, I'd sell blood for this thing right now :eek:

• Members

Wouldn't it be a laugh if the whole board went to mono mode when you switch on osc sync?
:facepalm::lol:

I'm sure it doesn't, but you never know with Roland.
:freak:

Ha ha, but it does not have Sync, so it may be a none event... Lets face it, on the GAIA you can get the growly synth stuff using distortion, if you want a lazer harp, you need a really deep synth (only ALESIS seem to care at that level and a MicroKorg/SH 201 can get a cheap LH alternative .. LOL)

All the other real analogs seem to fail at LH ...

The other great thing is this synth has its own effects etc, it is not like the GAIA so whilst the GAIA is a great sketch pad for patches, they will sound different on the Jupiter-80 and the sheer level of other options is mind boggling. For every can't do it seems to have a whole bunch of can do's... For a synth with 76 keys this looks hot...

• Members

Serious question. Can someone list out things that the V-Synth can do that the Jupiter-80 can't?

LOL, I was typing a different post above ...

I would not compare this to the V-Synth.. while the GT had some acoustic stuff bolted on as if as a test bed and all do bog standard VA stuff very well the architecture is so different and the whole of the wall vibe of the V_Synth with its cooky sounds as its spice, I would not bother comparing.. I would rather have a GAIA than a V-Synth after years of heart ache realising the V was not for me... It just tries to do stuff I realise I do not want.. Great for those who love it though...

Archived