What will Roland's new synth be? Speculate here..

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

supernatural piano - kronos SGX1

supernatural EP - kronos EP engine

3osc VA up to 9 (i think) layers- kronos 16 layers

and the sounds seems to combine AP-behavioural wavestation-like synthesis. Well, it is a roland thing. may be boring, but not necessarily bad thing.

but no VP770 engine ?

I guess geared towards performers. say kitaro needs a synth that does some acoustic simulations well, it will fit the bill.

heh what do i know

• Members

Seriously, people are being way too harsh on this thing without even having heard it. I mean, the Kronos is basically modelling + ROMpler too, only even more heavily weighted towards ROMpler.

I'm not a big fan of the GAIA/SH201 sound myself, but I don't think the VA crowd is the target market for this board, namesake notwithstanding.

• Members

I think people are being way too harsh too on this board and on this board. Lets hear it in person and get a feel for it. Stop getting hung up on the Jupe 8..it was a great synth yep, but lets move on. So what if its a called a jupe 80, big deal..cant take anything away from the original. Its JUST a name.

• Members

I think people are being way too harsh too on this board and on this board. Lets hear it in person and get a feel for it. Stop getting hung up on the Jupe 8..it was a great synth yep, but lets move on. So what if its a called a jupe 80, big deal..cant take anything away from the original. Its JUST a name.

+1

• Members

This spec list does not do it justice but here ya go anyway:

JUPITER-80: Synthesizer

Metamorphosis of a Legend

Specs

Keyboard

76 keys (with velocity and channel aftertouch)

Sound Generator Section

Maximum Polyphony

256 voices (varies according to the sound generator load)

Parts

4 parts (Upper, Lower, Solo, Percussion)

Registrations

256 (including pre-loaded registrations)

Live Sets

2,560 (including pre-loaded Live Sets)

Effects

for Live Set (Upper/Lower part) -Multi-Effects (MFX): 4 units (parallel connection only), 76 types per each Upper/Lower (total: 8 units) -Reverb: 1 unit, 5 types per each Upper/Lower (total: 2 units) for Solo part/Percussion part -Compressor + Equalizer + Delay: 1 set per each Solo/Percussion (total: 2 sets) -Reverb: 1 unit, 5 types Master Effects 4-Band Equalizer: 1 unit

USB Memory Song Player/Recorder Section

Tracks

1 stereo track

Playable File Format

Audio File: WAV, AIFF, MP3

Recording File Format

Audio File: WAV (44.1 kHz, 16-bit Linear, stereo)

Effects

4-Band Equalizer: 1 unit

External Memory

USB Flash Memory (sold separately) * Use USB flash drive sold by Roland. We cannot guarantee operation if other products are used.

Other

Arpeggiator

Preset: 128 styles User: 128 styles

Harmony Intelligence

17 types

Controllers

D Beam Controller Pitch Bend/Modulation Lever Assignable buttons (S1, S2) Assignable knobs (E1--E4) PART LEVEL sliders (PERC, LOWER, UPPER, SOLO)

Display

Graphic Color LCD 800 x 480 dots (touch screen)

Connectors

PHONES jack (stereo 1/4-inch phone type) MAIN OUT jacks (L, R) (XLR type) MAIN OUT jacks (L/MONO, R) (1/4-inch TRS phone type) SUB OUT jacks (L, R) (1/4-inch phone type) AUDIO IN jack (Stereo miniature phone type) DIGITAL AUDIO OUT jack (COAXIAL) FOOT PEDAL jacks (CTRL 1, CTRL 2, HOLD) MIDI Connectors (IN, OUT, THRU) USB COMPUTER port (Audio/MIDI) USB Memory port AC IN jack

Power Consumption

25 W

Accessories

Owner's manual CD-ROM (USB Audio/MIDI driver) DVD-ROM (SONAR LE) USB MEMORY Protector Power Cord

Options (sold separately)

Keyboard stand: KS-18Z, KS-G8 (Use a stand that causes the height of the unit to be one meter or lower.) Pedal switch: DP series Footswitch: BOSS FS-5U Expression pedal: EV-5 Stereo Headphones USB Flash Memory * Use USB Flash Memory sold by Roland. We cannot guarantee operation if other products are used.

Size and Weight

Width

1230.9 mm

48-1/2 inches

Depth

439.3 mm

17-5/16 inches

Height

139.6 mm

5-1/2 inches

Weight

17.7 kg

39 lbs. 1 oz.

• Members

It has super saw detune

Where do you see this?

Remember, you can detune a sample of a supersaw... with respect to the other payers of osc. That is very different from controlling the spread of the 7 saws as you could with a JP8000 or SH201.

• Members

Yup, I was prepared to be completely underwhelmed by this synth... UNTIL I heard it in this context and read the write up on CDM. Very interesting! Of course, I'm a *huge* Howard Jones fan -- New Song was my "introduction" to the world of synth music, and his work has influenced much of mine since then... so I give props to Roland for having him involved in this project.

• Members

Yup, I was prepared to be completely underwhelmed by this synth... UNTIL I heard it in this context and read the write up on CDM. Very interesting! Of course, I'm a *huge* Howard Jones fan -- New Song was my "introduction" to the world of synth music, and his work has influenced much of mine since then... so I give props to Roland for having him involved in this project.

Howard really does a hugely impressive task of showing this boards strengths off IMHO.

• Members

Thanks I was looking for that.

I'm really surprised how bad Roland's videos are for a major launch like this. One is just a hype marketing video which basically just shows you what it looks like. Their 2nd video just shows Howard Jones basically saying "Yeah, it's cool and inspiring" and then he plays ONE (Though cool) patch for about 30 seconds to a minute. LAME!

The sounds in the Sonic State video are impressive indeed. The pads especially. Interested to hear more demos. Still not sold on the interface/control surface, but oh well.

I was set to buy a Kronos, though I want to hear more before moving forward with that. The Kronos may be more suited to my needs though. The Jupiter might be more suited as a "2nd" synth down the road...

• Members

People are criticizing the hype. In general, everything has just become one giant screaming contest as every tries to be heard over everyone else. I think tough Roland has a reputation of being a bit douchey with the hype. :idk: just the facts.

Archived