What will Roland's new synth be? Speculate here..

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why use the name? A rewrite of history. Everyone who buys one will think they have an authentic Jupiter 8 sound. Couldn't they have called it something like Juniper 80? What connects this to an analog Jupiter 8, besides the colour scheme? It looks like a great live performance synth. If it's part v-synth, I wonder if the touchscreen can be used as a time trip pad! It's a money grab. Roland see's all the interest in the Jupiter/Juno names, so why not capitalize on the popularity and the unsuspecting wouldn't know the difference anyway.

• Members

Artemiy says:

''In the analog synth section of the JP-80, these are not VA oscillators, they're sample-based and the whole engine is pretty much a slightly cut-down (but more easy to grasp!) version of Fantom-S/X/G. But the SuperNatural part of the synth is completely different, it uses a kind of morphing technology to provide totally seamless, imperceptible shifting of multisampled layers, plus they have that articulation modeling - should all be pretty interesting!''

Someone also asked if it had any V-Synth engine, answer was no...

• Members

so what's the word on supernatural? they give us the flim flam, routine man?

a kind of morphing technology to provide totally seamless, imperceptible shifting of multisampled layers,

starsky1-2.jpg

That isn't some jive talk about wave sequencing is it now? Cause if it is and we find out about it, we'll be back...

• Members

''A name synonymous with classic 80s synthesis is the Roland Jupiter. Now in 2011, Roland bring back the Jupiter in the form of the Roland Jupiter 80. Classic synth ideas placed into a keyboard that can handle everything the modern gig can throw at it!

Jupiter 80 integrates Roland's SuperNATURAL synthesis engine for organic, huge-sounding synth patches and super expressivity.

With 256 note polyphony, a rugged (yet still retro-looking!) build quality and USB integration for recording and MIDI control, the Jupiter 80 brings back all the charm of the Jupiter synths with a little extra function for the modern keyboard player / musician.

Here's what Roland say about the Jupiter 80

One of the most revered prefixes in the history of synthesis returns. Welcome the arrival of the JUPITER-80-a live-performance powerhouse that pays homage to its legendary namesake with road-proven hardware and massive sound, yet blasts into the future with advanced SuperNATURAL technology. The JUPITER-80's expressive, organic approach to synthesis makes a new world of sound design possible with multilayered SuperNATURAL textures under the control of a full-colour touchscreen and creative hands-on controllers. Experience the metamorphosis of a legend with the all-new JUPITER-80!

Features

* Powerful integrated SuperNATURAL synthesis engines designed for legendary vintage synth sounds to realistic organic acoustic sounds and more.

* Single Tone is equivalent to the performance of powerful single synthesizer-stack four of these to create a mind-blowing "Live Set"

* Tone Blender tweaks multiple parameters of tones in realtime for complex, emotive sonic movement during performance

* Fast, friendly operation with intuitive front panel and colour touchscreen optimised for live performance

* 76-note semi-weighted synth keyboard, and 256 polyphonic voices (varies according to sound-generator load)

* USB-memory Song Player/Recorder for backing tracks or quick idea capture

* Easy integration with computers via built-in USB-MIDI/Audio interface''

• Members

So maybe it will still carry over the V-Synth GT's signature 1-midi channel.

I hope the manual comes out quick just need to check a few things..

Just think if this came out a few years ago it would have cost

• Members

And why exactly does a stage 'performance' synth need 256 voice polyphony!?

Lets have a guess. Two of the four synth layer tones are three tone gaia's, we know a single GAIA justifies 64 poly (see my comments plastered over the GAIA thread). Well that's 128 poly gone already...

I hope midi can drive more notes/poly on more than 4 tones. That would be great..

• Members

''In the analog synth section of the JP-80, these are not VA oscillators, they're sample-based and the whole engine is pretty much a slightly cut-down (but more easy to grasp!) version of Fantom-S/X/G.

so... it's a rompler. Got it.

• Members

well i'm drunk off my ass (again)

where is the drunk thread and why isn't diametro unbanned yet ?

this is a roland thread and he's got jupiters and fantoms (= jupiter80) and kaoss pads

yet another post about this synth being a total rompler. maybe the coolaid is wearing off and everyone's right about that. i own a mighty fine rompler (the korg O1w) and have used the supernatural cards on my dad's fantom g. all i can say is that the technology involved in those specific cards (the drums and ep) is different than a run-o-the-mill rompler.

• Members

Duct tape a MKS-80 to the underside and strike a pose! Totally awesome!!!

yes that would win

and use the touch screen and different pages to edit it

"that sounds fantastic ... wait the jupiter 80 isn't even plugged in ? ? ?"

• Members

My biggest gripe now is I can't afford a Kronos, or a MotifXF, or a Fantom G, or this, or even a PC361, so my money is safe for now.

I did pick up a Juno Gi yesterday to go with my Microstation and Microsampler. I have a pretty bad ass little league team to rock out on and to compete with these over bloated major leaguers mentioned above. Sorry my American pride is shining through or IS that the glare from my cool new Japanese toys?

EXCUSE ME, I HAVE SOMETHING IN MY EYE...

:cry:

Archived