Martin d35 or Gibson J45?

molex

• Members

Martin vs Gibson are two completely different sounding guitars - don't try to compare them ; they are both great based on you find a really good one because they do vary. Martin told me 1 out of 10 D-35's are awesome & I'm not sure of the percentage of Gibsons that you can say the same but you do have to play a few a them to find the keeper. The older ones are better....the worst your acoustic guitar sounds is the day you buy it. Gibsons tend to have a deeper , richer woody type sound , whereas the Martins are a bit brighter. The D-35 with the 3 piece back helps to make it a great rhythm guitar. The J-45 , Southern Jumbo & even the Country Western of the mid 1950's are basically the same guitar with different trim/ color. I have a 1955 Country Western & a 1970 Martin D-35 (I'm the original owner) . Both are really fine sounding instruments with there own special tonal range. The Martin necks seems to be thinner then the Gibsons & you will need to set up any guitar for your style of playing & strings used. I use only Silk & Steel Strings by D'Angelico & if I want more volume I just turn up the fader on the board or the amp if I'm play'n out. Maybe treat yourself right......buy two & you will have the best of both worlds. I would never sell my C&W or the D-35. BTW both record (to tape) great. The only reason I'd buy a Taylor is if I was out gig'n & if it got broken or stolen....... I wouldn't cry. Does Taylor still use bolt on necks ?

• Members

Personally I'd say that the one Gibson model above all others is the jumbo. A J100 is probably the best bang for your buck.

TopandSides.jpg

If I was going to get a Martin, it would be either a J40 or an OM-28....probably the J40, bigger is better and I don't like the balance of a D35. Too boomy.

Martin_J-40_700646_a.jpg

• Members

I have owned a J45 since the 90's, my buddy has a D28, not the D35. All are very unique in there own right.

I personally like the Gibson neck better, but could quickly get used to the Martin.

The Martin has a very big bottom end tone wise, the Gibson more mids. They are kind of different as night and day..

I will tell you this. I have used the Martin warranty on a neck reset on a M28 that I have owned for 30 years. Chris Martin is the bomb with warranty work, or at least he was for me.

I also own a J185 and several other small body Martins.

Apples and Orange here

I know all shops can't carry everything, but if you can physically play the guitar you are planning to purchase, or have the option to return it.

There's a lot of variation of the J45 that are worth looking at too.

Personal, buy what you think is best, and down the road add another of what you don't have to you arsenal of gear.

I see this quite an old thread.

If you are looking for the best guitar, you'll never keep anything long enough to make it your own over the 40 years.:D

• Members
Having never played a Martin D-35' date=' I cannot vote on this. I have played a D-28 and a couple of J-45's. I love the balance and overall sound of a J-45. When I was a kid growing up, the music leader in my church owned a J-45 that was out of this world. I always coveted that guitar.

Maybe I will eventually get my hands on a 35 to try out.:eek:

RT1[/quote']Wow this is an old thread. I am quoting myself.I have since owned, played the $#!+ out of, and sold a D35. Nice guitar, though in my opinion, did not have the sparkle I really hoped it would have. Maybe a J45 next......?

• Members

The J45 has been on my watch list for so long it's been the cause of my losing faith in the guitar playing fellowship, if such were extant. But, I do continue to be unimpressed by them despite some inexplicable determination to prove myself wrong. Faith. It's a killer.

The D35 is a has-been for me. Beautiful sound, wrong maker? Not a Martin fan. Old wounds, lost loyalty, very nasty and sad. Not really. I just needed a host for my youthful hate and Chris volunteered his company in 1973. See? There's that faith thing at work again.

Steel strings breathed their last gasp of breath with me a couple years ago so I feel wholly disenfranchised these days from this forum. Excepting garthman (Howard), I know of no one else here who plays a classical (nylon strings) as a primary instrument. But, I do infrequently visit the stores to play a J45 to ensure the above so I guess this thread is apropos.

• Members
The J45 has been on my watch list for so long it's been the cause of my losing faith in the guitar playing fellowship, if such were extant. But, I do continue to be unimpressed by them despite some inexplicable determination to prove myself wrong. Faith. It's a killer.

The D35 is a has-been for me. Beautiful sound, wrong maker? Not a Martin fan. Old wounds, lost loyalty, very nasty and sad. Not really. I just needed a host for my youthful hate and Chris volunteered his company in 1973. See? There's that faith thing at work again.

Steel strings breathed their last gasp of breath with me a couple years ago so I feel wholly disenfranchised these days from this forum. Excepting garthman (Howard), I know of no one else here who plays a classical (nylon strings) as a primary instrument. But, I do infrequently visit the stores to play a J45 to ensure the above so I guess this thread is apropos.

I think Riffmeister plays mainly nylon, though I may be wrong.

I tried hard to like my D35 but it was just dull. tried several sets of strings and no improvement. Smelled good though, LOL. I have played a couple of D18's over the years that had good sparkle.

• Members

J45 or D35? Well, as my Thai gf responds when I ask her a "this or that" question: "yes".... I'd go for J45. Has to be better: 45 beats 35.... (joking again). Any way can do a side by side comparison? When I am stuck in a 50-50 I like to flip a coin, then see if I really agree with how the coin flip came out...

Archived