ermm .. another NGD ;)

rickoshea

• Members

yes yes I know, but this time its one of my builds. Just got her finished off today - GA shape, Silver Oak back and sides, Carpathian Spruce top. Figured Bocate fingerboard and bridge with nice wee birdy inlays stolen directly from PRS :thu::lol:

Many thanks to a certain Mr Knockwood for sending me the Silver Oak set and the Carpathian Spruce for the soundboard - they're beautiful woods both aesthetically and tonally. Cheers Zuri, she's a sort of a YOMorrison eh? :lol:

poul_a_tuarn15.jpg

poul_a_tuarn18.jpg

poul_a_tuarn11.jpg

poul_a_tuarn12.jpg

poul_a_tuarn9.jpg

• Members

Thanks all ... FK - the finish is fine now, and I stress now :facepalm::lol: Its a bit of a steep learning curve spraying water based isn't it? ... I lost count of the number of sand throughs I had at the beginning. Eventually I got the gun dialled in and it went well. The final buffing was "interesting" lol. I bought this :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-264569-Sander-Polisher/dp/B002QS1LZ2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1336237662&sr=8-3

as I cant get my hands on an arbour for a decent price. The Mazerna refused to coat the wool pad (the stuff is so damned hard) so I just used Maguires liquid polish. It came up well - once I (again eventually lol) realised that you need a completely flat surface to buff ... yup, a lot of sanding was done to get there. There are a few bits of the build I'm not completely happy with but aren't there always? It was my first neck carve and scarf joint - I should have backstrapped the headstock to mask that and the grain at the heel isn't perfectly matched. You live and learn. I'm half way through a baritone acoustic in African Blackwood for someone - that stuff is like planing diamond.

Glenn ... absolutely you can, in all seriousness I have no room in my house for guitars now, and my wife refuses to let me wall hang them. This is very unfair and grounds for divorce.

• Members

I have no room in my house for guitars now, and my wife refuses to let me wall hang them. This is very unfair and grounds for divorce.

Nice work Rick. The wood is gorgeous.

I've seen people decorate the house with guitars that didn't approach your builds in aesthetic quality. That guitar is as much art as instrument.

• Members

thanks Gitmo, if only my wife could see it that way :lol:

Howard - the headstock is a wee homage to Avalon (curved at the back top) and Cole Clark (just very cool guitars) but I know you prefer slottys lol. The Tanglewood will always stay, that guitar is a wee beauty :thu:

• Members

Wow looks like you are getting the hang of this more and more!

I am sure you are probably learning more with each new build (and probably asking more questions each time as well)

Looks like you did another nice job, Congrats it does look stunning!

• Members

Outstanding! :love:

You are a true artiste, man. Just frickin' stunning, every detail. I have to say I am particularly impressed by the neck and the awesome fingerboard... and the bridge... and also the excellent purfling work... and the finish... and the cool Celtic knot inlay in the end graft... and the end cap and headstock... and the rosette and binding work.

But that's it! The rest sucks! Except for the top, back and sides. And the back strip...

• Members

That is a very nice looking guitar, young Rick,
except for the headstock
- not my cup of tea

That's my favorite part! And must admit, I had no idea that oak was used for acoustics. I'm curious as to what species of oak this is (the botanical name I mean). What does oak sound like, as compared with hog, maple, rosewood, etc.?

Beautiful guitar all-around!

• Members

That's my favorite part! And must admit, I had no idea that oak was used for acoustics. I'm curious as to what species of oak this is (the botanical name I mean).

The botanical name is Grevillea Robusta. I don't know much at all about botany, so I'm not sure whether it's an actual oak. It's from Australia and has been used by Larrivee on some limited runs.

Here's the writeup from Allied Lutherie (*they refer to it as Lacewood, but they are two very different species - Lacewood is from South America & has a rep for being difficult to bend):

Variously known as Silver oak, Silk oak, and Lacewood, this beautiful wood is a native of Australia, but is now found throughout tropical and subtropical climates. Similar in density to Bigleaf maple, but easier to work, we've heard good things about this as a guitar wood. While we've sold several hundred sets of this wood, we've yet to see a guitar of it. It is virtually identical to Sycamore in many characteristics, and that is a wood that we know has been used in guitars. See the above right thumbnail of a Santa Cruz guitar of California sycamore made for Paul Hostetter. It got rave reviews at a recent NAMM show. (Click on it to enlarge.)

• Members

The botanical name is
Grevillea
Robusta
. I don't know much at all about botany, so I'm not sure whether it's an actual oak. It's from Australia and has been used by Larrivee on some limited runs.

Here's the writeup from Allied Lutherie (*they refer to it as Lacewood, but they are two very different species - Lacewood is from South America & has a rep for being difficult to bend):

Variously known as Silver oak, Silk oak, and Lacewood, this beautiful wood is a native of Australia, but is now found throughout tropical and subtropical climates. Similar in density to Bigleaf maple, but easier to work, we've heard good things about this as a guitar wood. While we've sold several hundred sets of this wood, we've yet to see a guitar of it. It is virtually identical to Sycamore in many characteristics, and that is a wood that we know has been used in guitars. See the above right thumbnail of a Santa Cruz guitar of California sycamore made for Paul Hostetter. It got rave reviews at a recent NAMM show. (Click on it to enlarge.)

Hmmm--not a true oak then, which would be the genus Quercus. Still wondering what it sounds like, since I've never played anything made with sycamore.

Thanks for info!

• Members

Recorders.jpg

Awwww STFU n00b! ;)

You wouldn't happen to have any more of that Carpathian laying around would you? Seeing Rick turn pro like this is getting me envious. Tim McKnight says he loves the stuff too. I made the mistake of touring his wood locker this past weekend. He had some there and it rang long and loud when he tapped it. :love:

Archived