ermm .. another NGD ;)

rickoshea

• Members

That is an exquisite bit of work. Well done.

thanks .... and looking at your sig ... Matons and Cole Clarks (respect there :thu:). I'm ridiculously jealous and now need to move to Australia. If only to get my hands on some of that Bunya Cole Clark use for their soundboards. I really need to try building with that stuff.

• Members

Hmmmm. I bet your thoughts are turning towards extracting yourself from dentistry and rooting yourself in luthiery. Some might say that you should just continue to suffer from GAS and err on the side of caution, but I reckon that you should cross the bridge and take up the git making crown and get yer teeth into the new life, and find it fulfilling.

However SWMBO may have other ideas, and I know the drill with wives. All mouth and lots of lip.

Oh well. Get the whiskey out and have a gargle...

:facepalm:

• Members

Hmmmm. I bet your thoughts are turning towards extracting yourself from dentistry and rooting yourself in luthiery. Some might say that you should just continue to suffer from GAS and err on the side of caution, but I reckon that you should cross the bridge and take up the git making crown and get yer teeth into the new life, and find it fulfilling.

However SWMBO may have other ideas, and I know the drill with wives. All mouth and lots of lip.

Oh well. Get the whiskey out and have a gargle...

:facepalm:

lol Nigel - if only. However theres one wee snag. If Avalon can't do it I wouldn't have a hope in hell. No, two wee snags. My wife would be "less than pleased" :facepalm::lol:

• Members

OK, I have to ask: what type of music do you intend on playing with this? The tone wood combination suggests heavy-handed strumming and flatpicking but the GA body style has me doubting that. How does it fingerpick?

all sorts Neil ... this was a bit of an experiment in many ways, not just tonally. She's very lightly braced, forward shifted X and heavily scalloped lower X and tone bars. Plus, the body is a lot deeper than the "normal" GA shape. She's very defined, especially mids and trebles, fingerpicks nicely but will be better (playability wise) once I sort the nut out a bit. The slots are still a bit high (better to err on the side of caution there methinks) and the string contacts aren't close enough to the fingerboard side of the nut. That screws with string tension a bit. I'll be at her tomorrow and get that sorted.

• Members

thanks .... and looking at your sig ... Matons and Cole Clarks (respect there
:thu:
). I'm ridiculously jealous and now need to move to Australia. If only to get my hands on some of that Bunya Cole Clark use for their soundboards. I
really
need to try building with that stuff.

I only buy 'em. You actually make 'em. :thu: as a consequence.

Over here there are a number of luthiers but I doubt that I could ever afford one. I can only lust. Allan Bull (Bull Guitars) makes some superb instruments but his prices start at $AU5,700 whereas all mine are second-hand including the Custom Maton which was a distress sale sadly. Good for me but bad for the seller.

• Members

aye - but I'm a huge admirer of Cole Clark Guitars. They're one of the most innovative companies on the planet. Plus they use Bunya soundboards, and they're sexy :thu::lol:

ok .... first I'll get the disclaimers in. I build better than I play (I think lol) so don't go slagging off my playing. Actually fire ahead, I don't give a shit and it could be quite amusing :lol:

So here's a soundclip of the new build. Sound quality is "I dunno" but its recorded into Adobe Audition through a Samson Q1U usb mic, its a bit muffled to me in parts ... so thats my excuse ;) Some sections are recorded with nylon picks, some with tortex ... at this young age, the tortex is more rounded. Then some are fingerpicked with crap nails. Anyway, it might give you some idea of the tone. To me she's "snappy", just like a youngster should be :thu::lol:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11723486

• Members

aye - but I'm a huge admirer of Cole Clark Guitars. They're one of the most innovative companies on the planet. Plus they use Bunya soundboards, and they're sexy
:thu::lol:

ok .... first I'll get the disclaimers in. I build better than I play (I think lol) so don't go slagging off my playing. Actually fire ahead, I don't give a shit and it could be quite amusing
:lol:

So here's a soundclip of the new build. Sound quality is "I dunno" but its recorded into Adobe Audition through a Samson Q1U usb mic, its a bit muffled to me in parts ... so thats my excuse
;)
Some sections are recorded with nylon picks, some with tortex ... at this young age, the tortex is more rounded. Then some are fingerpicked with crap nails. Anyway, it might give you some idea of the tone. To me she's "snappy", just like a youngster should be
:thu::lol:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11723486

Overall, I think it sounds awesome!

Very different from piece to piece - not sure if this is deliberate (just different picks? strumming at different spots relative to the sound hole?). In the first and third, I was struck most by the clear, bright trebles. Beautiful. Second, fourth and fifth pieces were very mellow and perhaps a bit muffled by comparison, but more the tone I generally prefer (I know you tend to prefer guitars on the bright side). It sounds great strummed. So I'm impressed in general by the tonal range. Strikes me as a very versatile git & one that you'll be able to coax whatever you want from it. And I think it's going to open up very nicely.

Nice stab at "Private Investigations" and "More than a Feeling!" :thu:

Archived